Author Topic: 4.7.827 build is freezing my pc for 1-3 seconds constantly  (Read 12956 times)

greenknight

Re: 4.7.827 build is freezing my pc for 1-3 seconds constantly
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 10:15:28 AM »
It's early testing yet, but I disabled the P2P Shield (version 4.7-827) and enabled everything else (the Outlook/Exchange process isn't running), and everything seems to be back to normal. Of course, it could be wishful thinking, but I suspect that's where the problem lies.

wishiknew

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 02:19:41 PM »
Hi all.

I have this problem too.

99% of the time I only have msn messenger, notepad and firefox up.

When the freezing occurs, the avast icon usually spins slower than normal.

Usually most of the time I have 4-5 firefox windows opens and if I shut them all off and reopen firefox, the problem goes away.  But also notice it seems something in one of the firefox displayed windows is causing it as a couple of times, if I shut down one of them while leaving the rest up, it the problem also goes away.

housi

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 07:13:24 PM »
"My" freezing is when starting from hibernation only. During 3 up to 10 seconds.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 11:24:50 PM »
"My" freezing is when starting from hibernation only. During 3 up to 10 seconds.
Isn't it normal? I mean, form hibernate to normal state the computer should take some time to wake up...

P.S. This happens with me every morning  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 11:41:36 PM »
I no longer use Hibernation:
One it uses a lot of resources as it saves all open files/programs, etc. to disk, Hiberfil.sys, this file can be very large.
Two, on occasion my system didn't come out of hibernation and I had to reboot, I prefer to use Stand-by, both of which take a little time to get started, which I don't think is down to avast.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/fastresume.mspx
Hibernate Turns It Off, but Saves Your State

In the same way, Windows XP helps your computer start faster when you use Hibernate. This feature saves the contents of RAM to your hard disk in compressed form so you can turn your laptop or desktop computer completely off. When you turn on the power, your documents and applications are open just as you left them so you can start work quickly.

Windows XP reduces the time it takes to compress the memory data and save it to your hard disk. The time it takes to resume from hibernation can vary considerably. Newer laptops can resume from hibernation in 20 to 30 seconds, but the actual time depends on how much data was saved in RAM at the time you started hibernation.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Irksome

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 01:18:07 AM »
It's early testing yet, but I disabled the P2P Shield (version 4.7-827) and enabled everything else (the Outlook/Exchange process isn't running), and everything seems to be back to normal. Of course, it could be wishful thinking, but I suspect that's where the problem lies.

Yep I can confirm that disabling P2P Shield resolved the problem.  But obviously now P2P Shield isn't running which is not very satisfactory.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 01:29:04 AM »
Yep I can confirm that disabling P2P Shield resolved the problem.  But obviously now P2P Shield isn't running which is not very satisfactory.
As I've posted some minutes ago, sometimes, it's only necessary to exclude some files (or just one) from the application folder (AND NOT THE DOWNLOADED ONES).
For instance, for emule, you can just exclude onlinesig.dat  ;)

greenknight

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 05:58:58 AM »
What does the P2P Shield do? Would the Standard Shield work as a substitute when the files are accessed?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 06:10:11 AM »
What does the P2P Shield do?
It's a dedicated resident to scan downloaded and accessed files of P2P application.

Would the Standard Shield work as a substitute when the files are accessed?
If you use the 'High' sensitivity to the Standard Shield provider, it will do the same  8)

housi

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 01:41:07 PM »
I prefer to use Stand-by, both of which take a little time to get started, which I don't think is down to avast.
I do not use Stand-by because of the power-consumption.

For instance, for emule, you can just exclude onlinesig.dat
onlinesig.dat ? Does not exist on my PC.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 02:11:03 PM by housi »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 04:00:21 PM »
For instance, for emule, you can just exclude onlinesig.dat
onlinesig.dat ? Does not exist on my PC.
emule Preferences
General tab
Check the option Enable Online-Signature  8)

A small file named onlinesig.dat will be written in eMule directory. This file has the following format:

[Online status]|[Connected Server]|[IP:port]
[Current Download]|[Current Upload]|[Users on queue]

This information can be send to web space...  8)
http://emule-project.net/home/perl/help.cgi?l=1&rm=show_topic&topic_id=107
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 04:47:30 PM by Tech »

housi

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2006, 05:23:31 PM »
I suppose, we are speaking from different this, I've definitively no Preferences (see http://rapidshare.de/files/22872660/emule.jpg.html).