Author Topic: Antivirus not working  (Read 4624 times)

AngelStar958

Antivirus not working
« on: June 05, 2006, 01:37:34 AM »
Please can someone help me I have been using Avast for over a year and have it on my laptop, last week my laptop crashed, and it seems that something had stopped my avast from running,I got the blue screen saying that windows had detected a critical problem and was closing it down to protect and proceeded to do a physical memory dump  :'(
I had to do a total recovery after it said it could not find my hard drive, the first thing I put back on was Avast, everything went fine until today when the same thing happened, now I am getting an error message saying my c:// is corrupt and to do a ch disk which I had already done, and when I get my Avast to do a "Thorough scan" it checks 2 folders taking one second then say's it has finished and no viruses were found  ???
I have checked all the settings and it still won't do a proper scan, I am sure that I have something on the system that has disabled Avast, but don't know what to do about it.
Please can someone help me
I have just been to some recommended sites for free online scans ...BitDefender, Trend micro for starters and the same thing is happening there as well, scan a couple of folders then say the system has been checked and no viruses have been found it fact it took Bit Defender a total of 0.00 secs to scan my whole system  :-\
so it isn't just Avast, something is blocking them...a worm?? malware, spyware?? a virus?? who knows I for sure don't so if anyone has any advice I would be most grateful
Jan
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 01:54:51 AM by AngelStar958 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Antivirus not working
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 04:30:52 AM »
I got the blue screen saying that windows had detected a critical problem and was closing it down to protect and proceeded to do a physical memory dump  :'´
Please, if this happens again, copy the whole error name and the numbers of the stop message (something like 0x0000000A ( etc. etc.).

When I get my Avast to do a "Thorough scan" it checks 2 folders taking one second then say's it has finished and no viruses were found  ???
I suppose you asked for scanning of the whole hard disk...
Can you schedule a boot time scanning with avast?

Can you install www.ewido.net and see if you're infected?
The best things in life are free.

ardvark

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 12:23:35 PM »
Hi AngelStar958...

I could easily be wrong but this smells suspiciously of a hardware disorder in which case a call to the laptop's manufacturer (if the warranty is still in effect) or a trip to the local PC repair shop will be in order.

Along with tech's advice try also downloading and running...

http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml

Let us know how this proceeds.

Best regards...

AngelStar958

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 07:53:16 PM »
It has finally crashed altogether, with the blue screen message shutting down to protect the computer. It says
Process1_Initialization_failed and the tech info at the bottom of the page was
***Stop: 0.0000006B ( 0.C000003A, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 ) whatever that means  :'(
Luckily it is only just 6 months old so well in warranty time, It is a brand new Dell Inspiron B130 and this is the 3rd major crash since I had it, but have always been able to go into the Bios and reset the default settings so I can go in on safe mode and do a recovery, this time I have tried everything and just get the blue screen, I can't even boot in safe mode any more.
Oh well thank god for my old trusty pc at least I can still use it  :( but is not the same lol
Thanks for all the advice
Jan

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 08:56:06 PM »
A google search for Stop: 0.0000006B returns a few hits, none of which seems relevant. However, a search for 'Stop 0x0000006B Process1_Initialization_failed Dell' without the quotes returns many hits, so it may give you some relevant information.

http://www.d-a-l.com/help/showthread.php?t=26235
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=189815
However, as it is within warranty save yourself the grief and have them repair it, I suggest you back-up your data to a CD/DVD so you don't lose it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AngelStar958

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 11:17:41 PM »
oooop's too late I can't access any data from the laptop  :-[  But thanks for your help David I have posted a "help me please" on the Dell forum  ;)  but it looks like someone else already has posted the exact same problem as mine only with a brand new Dell Desktop PC, and Dell Support told him on the phone that they were pretty sure it was a software problem, but he like me hasn't put any software on there   and how can they diagnose the problem on the phone??   :-\ , I also noted another problem I had and that was the thermal cover over the processor was always overheating, I don't know whether that might be part of the problem, daft thing is the fan with it's air flow vents is right next to it on the BOTTOM of the laptop :-X  lol seems to me a pretty stupid place to put it but then I am not a PC tech 
Thanks again
Jan 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:19:33 PM by AngelStar958 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 12:02:01 AM »
No problem, sorry I couldn't help further, welcome to the forums Jan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security