Author Topic: SMTP Alert Bug  (Read 5435 times)

sowen

SMTP Alert Bug
« on: December 30, 2003, 03:48:25 PM »
The SMTP alert sends an email in non-standard format, without a 'Date' header. While many email servers automatically add this field if it is missing, some do not, and it results in incorrect display in email clients (date defaults to 1-1-1970 :(). My ISP's mailserver inserts the following error header into alert emails sent by Avast:

Date-warning: Date header was inserted by smtp05.wxs.nl

On another email server I use, this format error is not corrected, and the alert shows up in my client with the date 1-1-1970, putting it at the bottom of my email list.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 03:50:15 PM by sowen »

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
Re:SMTP Alert Bug
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 05:02:37 PM »
Thank you for information, we will correct the header of sent message.

sowen

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 05:06:38 PM »

Thanks!  ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 05:11:34 PM »
Oh, OK, thanks! You seem to be an extremely thorough 'user' (it would be more appropriate to say 'tester' but then you'd want your money back! ;D).

The SMTP routine is currently undergoing some more changes (we need to support SMTP authentication as an increasing number of today's servers is requiring it) and adding the Date: header shouldn't be a problem...

On another email server I use, this format error is not corrected, and the alert shows up in my client with the date 1-1-1970, putting it at the bottom of my email list.

Are you serious? I mean, does your email client really sort by the Date: header field?? That's very uncommon I'd say... normally, people sort their messages by received date (not sent)...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

sowen

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 07:50:23 PM »
My email client is Mozilla Thunderbird (an excellent client, I might add!). You can sort by any field. The 'date' field it displays is the date sent, and I've always chosen that column to sort by. Since this bug however, I'll sort by 'order received' ;)

Avast is a fast scanner, and the support is great, so I don't need my money back just yet. I wouldn't say no to a couple more Pro licences though! ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 01:36:07 AM »
The SMTP routine is currently undergoing some more changes (we need to support SMTP authentication as an increasing number of today's servers is requiring it) and adding the Date: header shouldn't be a problem...

Vlk, very thanks for the SMTP autentication... Untill now I could not send an alert (or file with virus from Chest) because the absence of authentication.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Walker

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 01:50:12 AM »
Vlk, very thanks for the SMTP autentication...

Technical,

Can you enlighten me.. I'm lost with this  :-\

What is the implication (or whatever) for an A-V program to support/interact with smtp authentication?

Just want to learn  ;D

W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 01:57:46 AM »
Walker, we are talking about the alerts and infected files for analysis. I mean, if your smtp server is not the same as your ISP (connection server), you won't be able to send an alert (by email) or send a file to analysis by email. This happens with me: I use xxx.com.br to connect the Internet and my email address is avast@ig.com.br where xxx is different from 'ig'. Did I help you?  ;)

Walker

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 02:03:29 AM »
Technical,

Thanks for the info. So are you just talking about sending files (alerts/infected) to Alwil?.

I also have ISP's where I relay mail to other smtp servers. I was wondering if this would cause any problems. I guess your not talking about this.

Sorry to be thick  :-[

W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 11:59:18 AM »
Technical,

Thanks for the info. So are you just talking about sending files (alerts/infected) to Alwil?.

I also have ISP's where I relay mail to other smtp servers. I was wondering if this would cause any problems. I guess your not talking about this.

Sorry to be thick  :-[

W.

Yes, I'm just talking about sending files (alerts/infected) to Alwil and not to other smtp servers, which works perfectly (remember that avast support multiple smtp servers).

Why do you think you are being thick??  ::)