Author Topic: not scalable scaner window  (Read 6753 times)

wiciu

not scalable scaner window
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:14:28 PM »
What a stupid idea to make a not scallable scanner window in standard mode?.  When you run windows in safe mode you can't see "SCAN" and other bottom buttons because low resolution!. Most times you must run it in safe mode isn't it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: not scalable scaner window
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:20:38 AM »
Skins aren't resizeable as that would mess with the layout of the skin, but you can use avast without skins.

Or you can run C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimp2.exe skinless simple user interface.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 03:06:20 AM »
Most times you must run it in safe mode isn't it?
In fact, I never run avast in Safe Mode.
avast has boot time scanning that is better that Safe Mode... what's the purpose to running in Safe Mode so?
Anyway... just disable the skins  8)

Welcome to avast forums. I'll like to see you more often in a more friendly conversation here  ;)
The best things in life are free.

wiciu

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 08:58:45 AM »
In fact, I never run avast in Safe Mode.
avast has boot time scanning that is better that Safe Mode... what's the purpose to running in Safe Mode so?
Anyway... just disable the skins  8)

Welcome to avast forums. I'll like to see you more often in a more friendly conversation here  ;)

Sorry for my snap but I was so irate.  I couldn't run boot scanning because avast don't ask for it on win98. In safe mode you can't select options (I can't find it) because after you run programm from START/programs/avast - it starts in not scallable window once. It should be in default small, scalable, to use it in safe mode. I don't want contemplate about tips and tricks to  help with simple action like wirus scanning.  So, I think it is a big mistake.

wiciu

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 09:03:50 AM »
Skins aren't resizeable as that would mess with the layout of the skin, but you can use avast without skins.

Or you can run C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimp2.exe skinless simple user interface.

There's the rub, I use it without skins.  Check it - ashSimp2.exe runs in not scallable window. It is not all visible in safe mode (win98 640x480).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:55:00 PM »
Sorry for my snap but I was so irate.  I couldn't run boot scanning because avast don't ask for it on win98.
I see... you're right...
I hope they change the ashSimp2.exe (the skinless version) behavior... A lot of windows are not scallable in 640x800, even from Windows (check Control Panel applets for instance...).  :'(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 02:39:51 PM »
Safe mode should give a resolution of 800X600 and 256 colours (XP Pro), it does on mine even though my monitor is capable of 1680X1050. Safe mode gives very limited options and as Tech mentions many programs have the same issue in safe mode.

Under normal circumstances you should run your scans in standard mode and only go to safe mode if there is a problem (virus file in use, can't be moved/deleted, etc.) which can't be resolved in standard mode. In standard mode no skins my simple user interface is scalable, see window resize arrows in image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wiciu

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 05:43:10 PM »
Under normal circumstances you should run your scans in standard mode and only go to safe mode if there is a problem

I really don't understand this explanation. I want use my antyvirus software to fight with wiruses it's normal circumstances I think. Very often to kill viruses I must run system in safe mode. This arrows on the screenshot is for move window left-right only. I cant move it up - down to see buttons on the bottom of window in 640x480 res. in safe mode.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 05:44:46 PM by wiciu »

wiciu

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 05:48:21 PM »
A lot of windows are not scallable in 640x800, even from Windows (check Control Panel applets for instance...).  :'(

Yes, you are right. There are notscallable windows in control panel, but this windows are so small that fit in 640x480 window so they don't need to be scallable.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 05:50:27 PM »
I really don't understand this explanation. I want use my antyvirus software to fight with wiruses it's normal circumstances I think.
We're saying the same with different words...
The Professional version is scallable in Safe Mode for sure.

Very often to kill viruses I must run system in safe mode. This arrows on the screenshot is for move window left-right only. I cant move it up - down to see buttons on the bottom of window in 640x480 res. in safe mode.
Right click the window in the task bark and you'll get a context menu.
You can choose 'move' and 'size' and then, using the keyboard arrows, resize or move the window. Again, I don't know if this will work in Windows 98 and specially at safe mode.

wiciu

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 06:00:42 PM »
The Professional version is scallable in Safe Mode for sure.

Only horizontal - it's not usefull.
You can't resize it in vertical, so You can't see bottom buttons in safe mode 640x480 win98. Window is too big! You should simple check it before.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 06:09:05 PM »
Under normal circumstances you should run your scans in standard mode and only go to safe mode if there is a problem

I really don't understand this explanation. I want use my antyvirus software to fight with wiruses it's normal circumstances I think. Very often to kill viruses I must run system in safe mode. This arrows on the screenshot is for move window left-right only. I cant move it up - down to see buttons on the bottom of window in 640x480 res. in safe mode.

My comment is based on your comment "Most times you must run it in safe mode isn't it?" shouldn't need to use safe mode unless you have a specific problem as I mentioned previously.

The arrows you see in the image are diagonal and allow for a stretch of the window both height and width so it is scalable (and as I said this is in normal and not safe mode). Can you not increase the resolution from 640X480 (to 800X600), which seems low even for win98 safe mode ?

wiciu

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 06:32:45 PM »
shouldn't need to use safe mode unless you have a specific problem as I mentioned previously.

most of virus problems are specific,  it's in virus nature isn't it? :)

The arrows you see in the image are diagonal and allow for a stretch of the window both height and width so it is scalable (and as I said this is in normal and not safe mode).

I can't belive. Maybe we talk about different avast versions? (my compilation pro: 4.7.844)
Can You show me screenshot of this window stretched in vertical? It seems to be fixed because background  image with 1. 2. 3. 4. points. 

Can you not increase the resolution from 640X480 (to 800X600), which seems low even for win98 safe mode ?

For all I know it depends of graphics drivers and it's often 640x480 only in safe mode.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 07:46:06 PM »
Specific as I mentioned "(virus file in use, can't be moved/deleted, etc.)," this shouldn't be too regular an coinsurance once you get your system in reasonable shape.

You obviously need to keep your browser, firewall, security software and OS up to date to reduce vulnerabilities (a problem with win98 no longer supported by MS), also not having XP you can't have the latest IE6 SP2 version. This should limit infection and reduce the detections in an on-demand scan, which would also limit the need to go into safe mode if a specific problem arose.

When I first tried to resize the window I'm sure that I was able to resize in vertical direction, having gone back to try it again, I can only get it to expand left and right. So that would appear be correct that you can't get the buttons in view.

So the inclusion of scroll bars would be a good idea so if the window size is less than the image background they would show and allow for scrolling to see the bottom buttons. If the window size were the same as the image size the scroll bars shouldn't display. Perhaps you should suggest this in the wishlist thread.

Have you actually tried to increase the screen resolution whilst in safe mode ?
It is a very long time since I last used win98se and I didn't have a high spec video card then but I'm sure that I got 800X600 on a 17crt monitor, now using a 20.1" widescreen TFT. What monitor and graphics card are you using ?

wiciu

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 10:43:59 PM »
Specific as I mentioned "(virus file in use, can't be moved/deleted, etc.)," this shouldn't be too regular an
coinsurance once you get your system in reasonable shape.

You obviously need to keep your browser, firewall, security software and OS up to date to reduce vulnerabilities (a problem with win98 no longer supported by MS), also not having XP you can't have the latest IE6 SP2 version. This should limit infection and reduce the detections in an on-demand scan, which would also limit the need to go into safe mode if a specific problem arose.

but it sounds like "use this software only on clean computers free of viruses". In my opinion antyviruses should be not only for defense but for    fight too :)

Have you actually tried to increase the screen resolution whilst in safe mode ?
It is a very long time since I last used win98se and I didn't have a high spec video card then but I'm sure that I got 800X600 on a 17crt monitor, now using a 20.1" widescreen TFT. What monitor and graphics card are you using ?

In my notebook I have 800x600 in safe mode (XP Home) Intel 915GM graphics card. So it is OK, I can see all window. But very often when somebody of my friends have problems with viruses, I download avast for him and try to remove viruses. It was XP one time and win98 one time. I will check what graphics card are there. But I think it is not important now. Every windows started in safe mode shoud be fixed in 640x480 or be scallable. Especially antywirus windows.