Author Topic: Goodbye  (Read 59753 times)

ardvark

Re: Goodbye
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 11:05:59 AM »
Hi  justin1278...

I'm glad you've decided to stick around, good help is always needed  :)

Best Regards...

Spyros

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 11:44:36 AM »
:)  Why anyone would "switch" to an antivirus ( "Comodo") that will NOT be ready for "prime time" in at least 2 yrs, if ever
I agree with that. Please read this thread: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=130055 . It's just not ready yet, and if I remember correctly it has a 28% detection rate. Anyway, good luck with whatever you deside to do.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 01:48:02 PM »
Well Comodo Firewall is just fine, but i wouldn't use Comdodo Antivirus yet. It's simply not mature enough, even though it has great potential.
AV-Comparatives test also showed very low detection rate and from what i heard it also has problems with complex malware (i.e. polymorphic).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

TAP

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 02:06:07 PM »
From its antivirus comparison chart table, I think Comodo Antivirus is too good to be true and it's simply not mature enough.

http://www.antivirus.comodo.com/comparison.html?currency=EUR&region=Europe&country=IS

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 04:07:49 PM »
Hi justin1278,

Just some remarks here.
I can understand that you rage against some things as they are. But I think this has nothing to do with the forum or with Avast as such. I learned a few things here, and I had to completely review a few of my assumptions, I had before I came to frequent here.  And glad I did.

First I had some misconceptions on the workings of AV canners, and especially where resident scanning was concerned. Resident AV scanners, my good friends, are dangerous instruments in the hands of the non-educated, and you all better know it. Not properly used they have ruined many an OS.

Avast is the least unfriendly or I found out it to be at least. Having it on various machines for a couple of years, I can tell this, and because they take "Cure, but do not harm" seriously at heart, I like to stick with this product, because I had terrible experiences in this respect with the big overbloated so-called total solutions.

Just think of the way memory management works on a Windows, and the mysterious ways of defrag and scandisk, restore results, and you know why I make this remarks about scanning, I am not talking about FP's. Some AV products I would not like to touch with a stick, just for the reason of FP's.

Then there is another thing. The days that one AV product together with one software firewall could protect you adequately, are long gone, and probably will never return within our days.
Microsoft in Vista is going to randomize system outset every boot-up, but that will not be the last answer as well.

To cover the complete malware range in protection, you need multi-layered protection, also where scanning is concerned. I for instance do my online scanning with Bitdefender. have DrWeb's latetst version of CureIt installed, and to be able to cover a wide range of malware definitions, also run ClamWin as a non-resident scanner, and both scanners perform their in-browser services on demand as well (in Flock, and Firefox).

A major lesson learnt is to avoid drive-by infections or on-the-fly installs of malware in scanning or using your OS without admin rights. This reduces the chances of hitting the malware jackpot enormously. Combine it with a strict mail policy, and your computer has a much better chance to stay malware free. Anti spyware is also essential here. But you know what I mean.

A further lesson learnt is to keep your computer clean after
every session. There I use a whole range of tools: CCleaner, URL view, Odkurzacz, ATF Cleaner. Then also Reg Analyzing is part of keeping the crap out.

Always been a warm supporter of in-browser security: NoScript, AdBlock Super + G updater, siteadviser, surfcontrol on demand, safe searching with Scandoo - Traffic Lights for Web Search – Web Search protected from internet security threats and offensive content.

There is more but it is all in my new line of thinking, and you know where I learn this, the inspiration comes from here in this forum. As the old undoer-of-evil-malware fighter says, and it is particularly true: "The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse eats the cheese". Security factor one is you sitting behind the keyboard. If you do not know what you're doing, you can totally get a computer unworkable because of
malware in a couple of days.

I miss some friends here. What happened to good old Marco, gone as in "Nacht und Nebel". The one who got me hanging around here, Eddy, a friend from around where I live. There are others I came to learn better, but we sometimes have different views. Like Bob. He helped me out twice with some golden tips, and I owe him. Great guy.

What I do not like is trolls just for the sake of trolling. Luring a bit to get a better view of how matters stick together or getting people "in the know" to open up a bit,I have no problem with that. But deliberately starting to attack others is not done. I like netiquette always.

On the other hand always try to understand why others react as they do. Have an open mind. In this way Ilearned a lot.

Evaluate, yes, evaluate properly,always do that. Do not be impressed by the so-called experts, when they speak with authority, but make up your own mind by comparing views and weighing the facts. Some youngsters to-day think that all things
and articles on the net is trustworthy. It is not or it is only partially so.

Have a good day my friend, and stay secure, and malware free is the wish of,

polonus
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 04:26:09 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

justin1278

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 05:24:08 PM »
Hi  justin1278...

I'm glad you've decided to stick around, good help is always needed  :)

Best Regards...

I have too many forum friends to just leave ;)

@ Polonus

Thank you for understanding Polonus.

@Everyone
I like how Comodo works with their antivirus, I sent them virus samples yesterday and already they are added into the database, and I recieved an e-mail from them telling me the results of their tests and what they did.

Warm Regards,

Justin

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 05:29:40 PM »
Not adding submitted samples for month upon month is certainly one way to lose the goodwill of forum members. It's not just Comodo who can not only add the samples but reply with an email to say thanks for sending the sample: AVG and Antivir do the same. I hope avast! can find the resources to devote more time to adding new malware, because it seems to be a serious weakness at the moment.  :-\
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 05:46:35 PM »
Hi FwF,

You are right there. When I sent a FP (for toolbarcop by the way) to DrWeb's, they replied in two e-mails. When I asked them for a Flock version of the DrWeb hyperlink scanner, they even built it.
So why can't they even answer people with an automated mail response? At least you have some form of confirmation there.

polonus

justin1278

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 06:38:34 PM »
It is just makes me unhappy to see when an antivirus like avast! can't do something as simple as replying. I started sending samples to Melih (the CEO) of Comodo and he was very polite and replied to all of my e-mails containing samples of new malware and some older malware not detected by Comodo. He would send me a complete spreadsheet back with the results from the tests done on the lab, and then I asked him when they would be added to the database, you know what his reply was? They have already been added in the latest update! They were added very promptly so you can see how much they care. With avast! if I were to send in a file I never got a reply, and it was either added a month later or not at all. Can you see why I might be upset?

~Justin

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »
That is great Justin, but as Comodo gains more market share I doubt that the time will be available to see these personal emails.

To my mind there is absolutely no excuse for avast not to at least send a polite thank-you auto responder email as confirmation of your submission and say they will only contact you if they require further information.

Even an auto responder is better than nothing, this really shouldn't be beyond the collective wisdom of Alwil to formulate a polite acknowledgement and set up an auto responder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

justin1278

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 08:31:25 PM »
Users have asked for at least an auto reminder for years, but Alwil does nothing about it...

DavidR I am sure you are right about Comodo doing that as they gain Market Share but as long as I send it to them directly at least I know they will recieve it. And I am sure they will reply eventually, even the head of the AV department at Comodo replied to me and I am sure he is extremely busy all the time.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 08:35:39 PM by justin1278 »

neal62

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2006, 08:42:12 PM »
Justin is going to do what he is going to do. I remembered an article that was brought to my attention about anti virus programs etc. I am not necessarily endorsing the product. But what I would like Justin and anyone else to do is to read this one mans opinion. It causes me at least to think about what we have to use for protection and the different ways we choose a program for protection.
    If interested in this article please go HERE.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:21:45 PM by neal63 »

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 10:07:19 PM »
Yes, I agree, submiting samples still remains the BIG problem of avast! No response about sample recieved or something... And another problem is the speed of adding these samples into detection database... Sometimes avast! is really cool, but sometimes it gives a reason to concern about some things... That's the main reason I'm still on Home version... High prices of Pro version, of course makes sense too...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:17:40 AM by =YLAP= »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 10:08:36 PM »
Hi neal63,

Read that article. Some points there well considering. But fortunately for us, and for Justin1278, people choose AV solutions not like consumer goods or the way they are promoted, but on basis of their features and how they perform. Read here:
http://www.viruslist.com/en/analysis?pubid=174405517

One basic consideration is that the AV solution is running smoothly on the machine, the second is that it the user has confidence in the ability of the product to keep the machine free of computer viruses.

I would say this helps, but more important is that the user does not put his or her computer at risk. If the user has secure computing practices and uses added protection against scripts,
spyware, etc, the standard AV solution that meets standards given will ensure a secure machine.

I think messages that we are confronted with a malware theater where we have to reinstall completely after an infection to be secure again  is overreacting to quite a degree. These instances are rarely met fortunately. Helpful could be in this way that computers came with  dual partitions, one for the system files that could be restored at any time fully, and one seperate for program files and other software files. This would also reduce software conflicts considerably, and would make scanning more stable and secure.

That would make it all a bit easier. A configuration with two hard disks could also be an option. Yes my dear friend, you still have a lot of educating to do. Great you are helping here,

polonus

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:13:28 PM by polonus »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2006, 10:30:23 PM »
That is great Justin, but as Comodo gains more market share I doubt that the time will be available to see these personal emails.

To my mind there is absolutely no excuse for avast not to at least send a polite thank-you auto responder email as confirmation of your submission and say they will only contact you if they require further information.

Even an auto responder is better than nothing, this really shouldn't be beyond the collective wisdom of Alwil to formulate a polite acknowledgement and set up an auto responder.

Well i'd get the "Thank you" from VPS detection if they don't exactly thank me in person. But it's often not the case unless if it's a variant of a widely spreading ITW sample. That kinda sux...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog