Author Topic: Goodbye  (Read 59845 times)

justin1278

Re: Goodbye
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2006, 07:40:09 PM »
Ok done DavidR

stevejrc

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2006, 08:19:10 PM »
Well I didnt like their firewall compared to kerio and seen more poor reviews than good about their antivirus and firewall, so not for me. If you think its great or better, then go for it.

Ive stuck with Avast for its superb support and constant development.  ;D

justin1278

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2006, 08:26:32 PM »
Hi Stevejrc,

Have you even tried there firewall? Why not read the review HERE[/size] if you want to try it then download the firewall HERE[/size]

Regards,

Justin

stevejrc

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2006, 08:35:29 PM »
I tried their previous version yes. I got loads of different UDP requests for each website I visited, none of which were needed. Only UDP 53 is needed for DNS and when I blocked UDP 1*** (cant remember port exactly) the connection failed. Maybe I was missing something, but I know whats needed to access the net.

Forgot to mention that most Avast providers failed to start as well, odd.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 08:42:05 PM by stevejrc »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2006, 09:01:30 PM »
Just a small comment about the responsiveness of the staff behind virus@avast.com (or lack thereof).

Currently, this mailbox is getting over 4,000 emails a day. It's simply above human possibilities to answer these emails individually.

We're working on a backend infrastructure that would greatly improve the submission (and confirmation) process. Until this is ready, we apologize for the "mess".

Thanks
Vlk

PS. While I respect everyone's right to choose whatever AV product he likes I don't really think this is the place to promote it here. "Join the Comodo revolution" is a phrase that you can post on your homepage - but hardly on the avast forum... :-\
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:04:35 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2006, 09:52:02 PM »
Sorry I have left avast! and gone to Comodo, I will still support users here for a while though.
Sorry Justin1278 but this is like a slap in the face to any of us who've ever helped some one with a problem.
It also sounds as if without you, they will not receive any help.
If it's your choice to move on, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors but please leave gracefully and as a
valued friend. It's the right thing to do. Thanks   :)  (This is strictly my own feeling on this subject.)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

justin1278

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2006, 10:59:18 PM »
Bob,

I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone, I will take it down right now.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:03:48 PM by justin1278 »

mauserme

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2006, 12:04:25 AM »
Just a small comment about the responsiveness of the staff behind virus@avast.com (or lack thereof).

Your response is much appreciated, Vlk.  It brings some understanding to the table.

timcan

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2006, 02:37:48 AM »

PS. While I respect everyone's right to choose whatever AV product he likes I don't really think this is the place to promote it here. "Join the Comodo revolution" is a phrase that you can post on your homepage - but hardly on the avast forum... :-\
  I agree. I must admit that I also spend a lot of time at the comodo forum. I have used their firewall for quite some time now and have posts/screenshots  here at avast about it, but I don't consider this "advertising" since the firewall doesn't compete with avast! products.
   Haven't  a lot of us here had posts telling someone to go to kaspersky online scanner,trend micro,Panda ,ect.Also there are many posts talking about nod32,bitdefender,antivir,ect. I mean isn't this sort of advertising too?
 I'm not tryig to start anything with this post,just my thoughts.
   IMO this thread needs to stop.   thanks,tim

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2006, 03:12:52 AM »
We're working on a backend infrastructure that would greatly improve the submission (and confirmation) process. Until this is ready, we apologize for mess.
Thanks, thanks, thanks...  :-*

I wish I could stop advertising ewido here (as it was bought by Grisoft - AVG antivirus) if we get better spyware/trojan protection  8)
The best things in life are free.

Negeltu

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2006, 03:25:04 AM »
I guess I don't see the big deal.  Avast has a pretty good detection rate, nice features and above all...it's free!  Many times I've seen people like Vlk personally help those on the forums here.  I do not see "poor support".   The emotions and words running around on the forums in regard to avast and it's support reminds me of witch trials.  Why can't we just tone down the rhetoric/opinion/and whatever else is coming out and treat eachother with mutual respect.  I'm sure the Avast team is working very very hard on improving the submission process and Avast as a whole.  Managing a project like this isn't a walk in the park.  I'm sure they are also trying to adjust to meet the demands of having more users of their av.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Where did Comodo learn AV?
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2006, 08:14:37 PM »
Hello folks,

Comodo is mentioned for having so-called "proactive heuristic scanning analysis", but where did it acquire the know-how.
Well, when Comodo took over norwegian Trustix AS, Trustix Secure Linux (TSL) after this firm had bankrupted in 2003, there was some fear among users of this distro that the world would have to forget about it. This is not the case, look at: http://www.trustix.org/ or http://www.trustix.com/

When you run trustix meant for small servers this works fine. But it is a real servers appl. for admins not afraid to tweak files (so it is not a desltop variant, and certainly not meant for the click-through type of admin).

I think it is fair to have shed some light on this part of the story as well.

polonus
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 08:39:26 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

mauserme

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2006, 08:29:53 PM »
Damian,

The links you posted are dead.

Keith

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2006, 08:37:54 PM »
Howdy, Keith,

Right, polonus needs some spectacles, it is trustix, not trustfix.
It might be he was startled by the fact that he has launched 2000 postsings by now. Anyway, the links now are working, ain't they?

polonus aka Damian
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 08:43:05 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2006, 07:19:07 PM »
Well another disturbing factor with nearly all these newcomer AVs is inability to detect complex malware. I've sent Polip sample to Melih quiet some time ago and is still not detected. Don't have the Zmist sample but i assume it's also not detected. And i don't think these are isolated samples.
They really have to work on engine and signatures a lot! I mean A LOT.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog