Author Topic: How to disable continuous scanning in Avast free? (it is destroying my HDD)  (Read 5122 times)

REDACTED

It is stressing my 7 year old HDD a LOOOOT. Is there a config or registry workaround to disable continous background scanning (reading of HDD files/directories)? Else I'll have to switch to another antivirus solution (which I really wouldn't want to).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:23:02 AM by DanielNL »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

Re: How to disable continuous scanning in AVG free? (it is destroying my HDD)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 09:12:57 AM »
LOL sorry mistyped, I meant Avast obviously ! ! !  Sorry!!!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How to disable continuous scanning in AVG free? (it is destroying my HDD)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:17:05 AM »
- Which Avast..? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
- Which version..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

Free
latest afaik (17.9.2322 build 17.9.3761.278)
64 bit Windows 10 Fall Creator Update
Not other security software.

And PLEASE fix the verifcation for posts, like 95% of the codes are IMPOSSIBLE to read!!!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
OK, wait for one of the guys with W10, can't confirm it here.

PS: Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)

REDACTED

PS: Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 12:06:08 PM »
Understand the reason for captchas but these are impossible! Maybe one of the moderators needs to come in on a newbie account and check them out... not a clue with the one I am facing now! Think I can do it on the fourth image.. will try now before I loose it!.. No.. got it wrong... try again.. just two this time and the previous one came up... think that R might be an A.. try it..

Offline Evjls

there are something you can do to reduce HDD activity from avast:
1/ disable transient caching (settings->file shield->advanced)
2/ add some following rules in file shield exclusion
https://imgur.com/mFAxKSe
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:16:22 PM by Evjls »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

Disabling transient caching won't reduce scanning in fact it is more likely to increase scanning.

The exclusions you give is more likely to put your system at risk and not advised.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Evjls

Disabling transient caching won't reduce scanning in fact it is more likely to increase scanning.

The exclusions you give is more likely to put your system at risk and not advised.
1/ I'm talking the fact that after disabling transient caching, my disk activity dropped by a significant amount. Observed on many PCs with low specs. With transient caching, people complaint about avast slowing down their machines and after disabling it, their machines were much more responsive. Do you remember the incident of lscache.dat? I don't trust descriptions from avast because there are mistakes, I trust my own experiments

2/ those are selective exclusion, not full exclusion so it will significantly reduce avast's scanning but still preserve 95% of efficacy. I know what I'm doing and what I'm tweaking. In fact, behavior shield is not affected by this exclusion, just file shield so when something passes through all the shield, it will be blocked by behavior shield. I have been testing avast with zero-day malwares on VMs, I can say that these exclusion almost has zero effect on avast's protection capability, tested with and without exclusion. I know avast's weaknesses and strengths
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 06:36:06 PM by Evjls »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How to disable continuous scanning in Avast free? (it is destroying my HDD)
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 07:16:46 PM »
Well, do as you like. Still, #2 is dangerous advice for average users.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 08:43:41 PM »
<snip quote>
1/ I'm talking the fact that after disabling transient caching, my disk activity dropped by a significant amount. Observed on many PCs with low specs. With transient caching, people complaint about avast slowing down their machines and after disabling it, their machines were much more responsive. Do you remember the incident of lscache.dat? I don't trust descriptions from avast because there are mistakes, I trust my own experiments
<snip>

With transient caching enabled, files that have been scanned once and found clean aren't scanned again until you reboot or there is a VPS update.

The transient caching is designed to reduce scanning, it might not be much, but that is what it is meant to achieve.  With it disabled any benefit (no matter how small) is lost and more files will be scanned, that is the whole point of it. 

Any possible benefit wouldn't be from files not being scanned, but from the overhead of updating the transient cache file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 04:33:43 PM »

With transient caching enabled, files that have been scanned once and found clean aren't scanned again until you reboot or there is a VPS update.

But that is the problem, when you say after a reboot my whole 2 TB on my drives will be scanned again?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 05:41:05 PM »

But that is the problem, when you say after a reboot my whole 2 TB on my drives will be scanned again?

NO, not the whole drive would be scanned, as avast is an on-access scanner, only active files would be scanned.

You still haven't grasped that transient scanning 'enabled' is there to prevent multiple scans of the same file.  Even if this only prevents some active files being scanned more than once before a reboot, it is still less scanning. 

Disabling transient caching means more scans of the same active file/s being scanned more frequently.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 07:28:23 PM »
Ofc I didn't disable transcient scanning... Still, even when disabled, Avast keeps scanning my Nvidia local app data... I think I will add that path to exceptions...