Author Topic: Avast Internet Security ransomware shield keeps blocking an allowed application  (Read 2076 times)

Offline ken147

I just upgraded my Nitro Pro PDF software, and now every time I try to create a PDF file in a folder protected by the Ransomware Shield, I get the Avast dialog saying the program (NxPdfCreator.exe in this case) is trying to change a file in a protected folder and asks whether to block or allow it.  I select to allow it and Avast promises to allow it and remember it, but it doesn't - even though the application is displayed in the list of allowed apps.  The file doesn't get created and subsequent attempts give me the same dialog every time.  Creating a PDF to a non-protected folder (the Desktop, for instance) works fine.  If I remove the data folder from the list of protected folders, I can successfully create PDFs into it.  But as soon as I protect the folder again, I get the same dialog as before.  How do I fix this?  TIA for any help.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:59:52 PM by ken147 »

Offline ken147

Re: ransomware shield keeps blocking an allowed application
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:44:02 PM »
Okay, problem seems to be solved.  I completely uninstalled Nitro Pro, did a fresh install of the new version, then added the PDF writer to the list of allowed applications, and then it worked.

Offline ken147

Re: ransomware shield keeps blocking an allowed application
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 04:59:16 PM »
Aaaand... it's back.  Seems to work for a couple days, then for no apparent reason Avast Ransomware Shield starts blocking Nitro Pro from writing PDF files to protected folders again.   >:(   Uninstalling and reinstalling Nitro seems to work, but it seems to be a temporary fix, not to mention a major nuisance.  FWIW, I can create PDF files in protected folders using Foxit or MS Word with no problems.  This all started with the recent release of Nitro Pro v. 7.0.11.425 - the previous incremental release did not have this problem.  So my gut reaction is to blame Nitro, but it could also be the case that Avast's engine hasn't caught up and therefore sees the new version of Nitro as a threat.  But I don't understand why it keeps blocking Nitro even after Nitro has been added to the list of allowed apps.

Any insight?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Update to the latest version (18.1.2326): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=215365.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0