Author Topic: Avast Detects Local\vdhsmnx as Rootkit hidden file  (Read 1236 times)

REDACTED

Avast Detects Local\vdhsmnx as Rootkit hidden file
« on: February 26, 2018, 12:35:12 AM »
Hello,

When I run a full scan with Avast I keep getting the entire folder in my C: drive called vdhsmnx as an issue. Avast does not have the permissions to delete the file or do anything about it. I can see the file in file explorer, but when I try to delete it myself, I get an error saying I need permission from  (my user name) to delete it.

Is this actually a virus that needs cleaning and if so how do I best do that?

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
Re: Avast Detects Local\vdhsmnx as Rootkit hidden file
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 04:40:16 PM »
Upload the file to www.virustotal.com. Post the scan results here. Post a screenshot of the Avast! alert.

Usually, whenever I've had issues with deleting files that I can't delete, it's from a previous Windows Installation. For example, I have 2 SSD's. One with a current install of Windows, the other with an old install of Windows (No longer fully functional.) I can't delete those files (Well - I can, but it would require a lot of effort on my part).
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Detects Local\vdhsmnx as Rootkit hidden file
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 05:03:35 PM »
Upload the file to www.virustotal.com. Post the scan results here. Post a screenshot of the Avast! alert.

Usually, whenever I've had issues with deleting files that I can't delete, it's from a previous Windows Installation. For example, I have 2 SSD's. One with a current install of Windows, the other with an old install of Windows (No longer fully functional.) I can't delete those files (Well - I can, but it would require a lot of effort on my part).
Do you mean windows.old?
https://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-is-the-windows.old-folder-and-how-do-you-delete-it/