Author Topic: on-access scanner (resident protection) not enabled  (Read 10951 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: on-access scanner (resident protection) not enabled
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 12:09:36 AM »
Check out the etrust site and see if there is a manual removal tool or instructions to ensure all remnants including registry entries are gone. Once you have done that reboot and see if that resolves the problem, if not uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 03:17:59 AM »
Resident scanner won't start

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation (read http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html)
4. Boot
5. Install again and see if this way you get a clean installation.
The best things in life are free.

ura19

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 07:40:44 PM »
The tray icon is ashDisp.exe and not ashServ.exe, check task manager to see if it is running.
Right, ashServ.exe isn't running

Do (or did) you use Kaspersky's anti-hacker tool (or any other Kaspersky products) as this uses the same process names as KAV and could be seen by avast as KAV and not the anti-hacker tool and disable some of the avast processes ?

I didn't use any security products that I remember after last windows install (to a clean HDD), except Kaspersky antivirus, Spybot S&D, Avira's Antivir and PandaSoftware's online ActiveScan. AntiVir uninstalled quite nicely, nothing in the registry.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 07:54:09 PM »
[I didn't use any security products that I remember after last windows install (to a clean HDD), except Kaspersky antivirus, Spybot S&D, Avira's Antivir and PandaSoftware's online ActiveScan. AntiVir uninstalled quite nicely, nothing in the registry.
Except?
Maybe any Kaspersky or Antivir or Panda antivirus left files/registry key behind...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 08:08:56 PM »
I can't see anything that might cause avast not to start, as you say you have used the KAV removal tool and antivir has gone from the registry. Spybot S&D has TeaTimer resident protection (Tools) but this if active would normally only effect the avast icon.

Also useful as a diagnostic tool - Download HiJackThis.zip - HJT Information HiJackThis Tutorial 1 or HiJackThis Tutorial 2

Post the contents of the log file here and perhaps it will show something running or in registry that could be the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sikejsudjek

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 11:13:39 PM »
Resident scanner won't start

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation (read http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html)
4. Boot
5. Install again and see if this way you get a clean installation.

I tried this, but not only did it not reinstall properly but it also now won't boot with the message 'real mode memory allocation failure' which I guess is a vxd problem (or may be corrupt config sys).

Which vxd drivers does avast call ? I will check config sys and disable non essential entries in safe mode.
All the best
Andy

sikejsudjek

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 12:56:28 PM »
Fixed problem - somehow viagart.vxd had got messed up. Reinstalled via drivers and removed a couple of vxd's that shouldn't have been there.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 02:30:31 PM »
Thanks for leting us know what the problem was and its resolution.

Welcome to the forums.

Wing

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2006, 01:21:27 PM »
Fixed problem - somehow viagart.vxd had got messed up. Reinstalled via drivers and removed a couple of vxd's that shouldn't have been there.

I dont get it, how do you fix it???