Author Topic: as a suggestion  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Piloto

as a suggestion
« on: April 24, 2018, 10:18:12 AM »
Hi,

If a lot of us are in windows xp, mainly in windows 7 and windows 8.1, why you don't launch a stable version of Avast for us and leave the continuous new versions for windows 10 users?

Please, consider that Microsoft has an specific antivirus fowr windoews 7: MSE. This means that, most probably, launching an specific version of Avast will avoid all the problems for windows users, except windows 10 ones.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: as a suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 09:40:11 PM »
As a user of the XP OS that's an interesting comment. Lighter weight, low resource imprint.
I'm sure that would be something for Marketing or whatever.
Fundamentally comes down to cost / benefit quotient. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »
Well as an XP, win7 and win10 user, the real option is going to be stick with a version of avast that you are happy with.  One that you can update the virus definitions but keep the functionality of an older version of avast.

If the numbers of XP/Avast users is small then running two streams (a bit like the firefox ESR version) is I believe a large workload to achieve this.  Not to mention Avast has already mentioned a date when support for XP will end, so the extra workload for a finite period would seem unreasonable. 

Once that support time frame comes to an end, those XP users will have some decisions to make anyway, stick with the existing last XP supported version that gets virus definitions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Piloto

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 09:54:46 AM »
Thanks schmidthouse, I think it would be very interesting for xp and windows 7 users.
Thanks DavidR for your comments. By the way, which was the last stble version for windows 7, and where to find the installer?
Important to mention too that many users will stay with windows 7, between other things, because of the continious big patch problems.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 10:25:35 AM »
As an Avast user like yourself I don't have a specific list of avast versions for each OS.  But that is going to differ for different users, a stable version would be hard to determine if it didn't effect all users. 

In theory those with Windows 7 should be able to use the latest version of Avast, unless of course they finding problems with their system configuration/applications and a new version. 

The problem on where to find the installer is also a problem, Avast only promote/provide downloads for the current avast version.  You are looking at download sites that also have old versions of programs, such as file hippo or major geeks.  Whilst some of those have supposed links for old versions, many just provide a link to a stub installer, this is a small downloaded file.  That initiates the installation on-line and it is here that it fails, as it installs the latest version.

Windows 7 is next in line for MS to kill and how much support it too will receive from companies such as Avast, unlike XP I haven't seen any end of life/support for Windows 7 by avast.

My win7 system is a netbook:
Acer Aspire One, Win7 Starter (32bit) 10.1", 1024X600 screen, 2GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Atom N255 (1.5GHz dual core) CPU and 250GB HDD.
This is no power system and I use less and less each month/year and is probably not long for this life. I would say its biggest problem (excuse the pun) is its size, or more the resolution.  The latest avast versions the UI is absolutely massive as is the installation screen. 

What version you use is determined by many things, but something everyone can do when installing avast, is to do a custom install, the minimal install is an option during installation.  For me that is too minimal, but each person is different, just don't install everything, just what you need/want.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security