Author Topic: IE Won't Work Until Web Shield Is Paused  (Read 7244 times)

wendy k. walker

IE Won't Work Until Web Shield Is Paused
« on: May 25, 2006, 11:16:20 PM »
Hi Everyone, Is it just me or are there some other people out there who have just started having trouble with IE not wanting to work without first having to pause Avast! Web Shield?

That problem had occurred several months ago right after a program update had been installed, but I know that it had been fixed back then too.

I am using the Home Edition, and Avast! just updated last night so I should have the latest version out. I have Build May 2006 (4.7.827).

Anyway, today whenever I try to open my IE browser it just sticks, and stays stuck until I cancel the action, put Avast! Web Shield on pause, and then either open a new browser, or click refresh.

Did you guys break something on the last update, or is there something that I've done that's causing this problem?

♥ Wendy

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: IE Won't Work Until Web Shield Is Paused
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 12:12:51 AM »
What is your firewall ?
What version of avast are you using 4.7.827 is latest public version and 4.7.840 beta version ?

Well it sounds like a firewall blocking issue, if it effects all browsers not just IE. After a program update components change and it looks like your firewall is blocking ashWebSv.exe. It would have recognised it changed after update and should have asked you for permission, you were either to quick to block the request or didn't realise what might happen if blocked.

Ensure that your firewall allows access for ashWebSv.exe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wendy k. walker

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 12:47:09 AM »
Hi DavidR, Thanks for your reply. OK I double checked everything again, and all is as is should be.

I had not restarted my PC since it had last updated Avast!, so I just did so.

Whatever the problem was seems to have corrected it's self, and I am no longer having any problems with the IE.

How do I determine if I have the Beta version of Avast!?

♥ Wendy

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 12:55:57 AM »
If you don't know, I would say you haven't got it, it is opt in only.
But right click the avast icon and select about avast that will state what version number you have.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wendy k. walker

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 02:30:03 AM »
Hi DavidR, Thanks for the reply, I have Build May 2006 (4.7.827), and it doesn't say anything about Beta.

Thanks again, everything is working fine now, so I guess I'm OK.

♥ Wendy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 03:05:15 AM »
Hi DavidR, Thanks for the reply, I have Build May 2006 (4.7.827), and it doesn't say anything about Beta.
Wendy, can you update to 4.7.840  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 03:50:04 PM »
Tech .840 is still beta so it isn't a simple matter of updating, so I would say Wendy should wait for the official release of 4.7.840, which hopefully should be soon.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 07:40:49 PM »
Tech .840 is still beta so it isn't a simple matter of updating, so I would say Wendy should wait for the official release of 4.7.840, which hopefully should be soon.
Sorry, you're right. I've misunderstood a Vlk's post about the update and thought it was a stable one.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 07:25:41 AM »
Hi everyone, sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I'm not sure what had caused the problem, but it had corrected its self when I had restarted my PC, and I have had no farther problems.

Thanks to all of you who offered help with this.

♥ Wendy

Benkanemill

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 12:13:33 AM »
Hi,

I am having the same problem. I checked for the .exe file you guys suggested Norton might be blocking but its not in the firewall list of programs being blocked, allowed etc.
Any other suggestions??
Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 01:01:59 AM »
I checked for the .exe file you guys suggested Norton might be blocking but its not in the firewall list of programs being blocked, allowed etc.
What happens if you try to start a manual update? Won't Norton ask you to allow the connection?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 01:07:01 AM »
Norton, light bulb moment.
Is this Norton Internet Security and if so does it include the anti-virus element ?
Was it (NAV) originally there and uninstalled prior to avast being installed ?

It could be that remnants of NAV remain.
What is your Operating System ?

@ Tech
I'm not sure that 'Benkanemill' is having a problem with the update, as he mentions "I am having the same problem." and Wendy's problem was with web shield and IE.

Benkanemill

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 02:38:17 AM »
Ok so i did the manual update and the update worked fine, no interruptions by Norton asking for permission. yeah it was a Symantec AV so probably is remnants on the PC. Using XP. I removed via control panel...what else can i do??
Thanks for the speedy reply, much appreciated:)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 02:47:26 AM »
Ok so i did the manual update and the update worked fine, no interruptions by Norton asking for permission.
So, the automatic update should work.

what else can i do??

1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Symantec removal tool (browse their site to get it, there are one for each antivirus series). Removing your Norton program using SymNRT.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! Boot.
5) See what you get  ;)