Author Topic: Boot-Scan works not so good^^  (Read 5814 times)

Vamp.x2

Boot-Scan works not so good^^
« on: June 09, 2006, 10:57:10 AM »
Hi,
I always had Norton. But then I noticed that it sucks :D And since I have avast (2 days^^) my system works better.

But! I tried to use the Boot-Scan. Everything worked, but then it found a virus. There are then several things which I could do by pressing a number on my keyboard, but my keyboard is not in use o_O I can't use it in boot-scan!

Please help, what to do, because I've got a virus in my RAM^^

Thanks,
Vamp

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Boot-Scan works not so good^^
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 11:05:44 AM »
Is it a USB keyboard? If yes, you should enable it in BIOS setup - there should be such option there.

Vamp.x2

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 11:31:36 AM »
Yes, it is an USB Keyboard.

But could you explain how to enable it in bios and all that...? I'm using windows just for gaming, so I don't know much about it^^

Vamp.x2

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 01:23:49 PM »
Sorry for Doublepost, but I need help as fast as hell^^

This damn virus slows down my system too much omg! I've got an AMD x2 4200+, 1024 MB DDR2 RAM and a GeForce 7900GT, but UT2004 doesn't work, like Oblivion, Spellforce2, and all the other games I have :(

mauserme

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 02:01:37 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think in order to enable the USB Keyboard you would have to be using a PS/2 Keyboard (ie a keyboard with a cable) since the USB Keyboard would not yet have the BIOS support needed to make the change.

So, if you've connected a PS/2 Keyboard you could just keep it simple and do the boot scan with that, then change back to USB when its done.

If you want to enable the USB Keyboard there are general instructions here

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1367

but be careful.  Changing the BIOS can mess things up.

Vamp.x2

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 03:31:04 PM »
I already tried it with PS2, but it didn't work.. Or has the Keyboard be put in when I start the PC? Because I put it in when I had to choose an option^^

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 04:41:30 PM »
You can't change keyboards to a PS2 keybord without a reboot for them to work.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mauserme

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 04:54:29 PM »
Or has the Keyboard be put in when I start the PC?

Yes, it does.

As David says, connect the PS/2 keyboard first, then boot (or reboot)

Vamp.x2

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 07:02:45 PM »
Aaah now it worked fine, thanks.

But there is one more problem ^^ It finds 4 virus in the system folder - should I delete them? I'm not sure about it^^

mauserme

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 07:07:58 PM »
It finds 4 virus in the system folder - should I delete them?

No, don't rush to delete anything.  Better to put them in the chest.

Can you post what was found?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 07:21:07 PM »
It is a common malware trick to place files in the system folders. There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, they can't do any harm there.

Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a week or two. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.

Whilst browsing or collecting email, etc. if you get infected then the malware by default inherits the same permissions that you have for your user account. So if the user account has administrator rights, the malware has administrator rights and can reap havoc. With limited rights the malware can't put files in the system folders, create registry entries, etc. This greatly reduces the potential harm that can be done by an undetected or first day virus, etc.

Check out the link to DropMyRights (in my signature below) - Browsing the Web and Reading E-mail Safely as an Administrator. This obviously applies to those NT based OSes that have administrator settings, winNT, win2k, winXP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Vamp.x2

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 07:26:06 PM »
Uuuh you guys rock! Now the virus are away! Thank you so much, and your signature link is very cool :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 07:33:53 PM »
Glad we could help, welcome to the forums and the avast family.

Stick around and browse the forums, especially the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums. They provide a wealth of information to help you get the best from avast.

Vamp.x2

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 07:39:44 PM »
Yes. I think that I don't have to use any other virus scanners.. And naturally never more Norton xD