Author Topic: WHY the Security Hole in AVAST?  (Read 9552 times)

willfarnaby

WHY the Security Hole in AVAST?
« on: June 09, 2006, 11:40:12 AM »
Why on earth does C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA and its contents grant Full Control security permission to Everyone ?!

Is their some obscure reason for this bizarre insecurity?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: WHY the Security Hole in AVAST?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 11:52:14 AM »
Could you please elaborate a bit more why you think this is a "security hole" (or even "bizarre insecurity")?

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

willfarnaby

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 12:21:54 PM »
Bizarre in the sense that, AFAIK, it shouldn't be necessary. For example, I've installed many, many applications (consumer, for development, etc.) and can't recall, at the moment, any others even involving the Everyone role, let alone granting it a full set of permissions.

So, what is the rationale for the .../DATA directory's security assignments?
Can I remove Everyone?
Does a member of the User group need write permission?
If so, why isn't each user's user.dir / isolated storage used instead of opening up the location under Program Files?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 01:42:53 PM »
Some antivirus (like ClamWin or AVG) use the Documents & Settings folder (personal profile) to store files that need to be written by common users (I suppose).
The best things in life are free.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 05:35:00 AM »
OK, so did anyone ever figure out if that is actually a big security hole, or if it is anywhere near being a bizarre insecurity?

♥ Wendy

avvidro

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 06:49:36 AM »
What!? Excuse my sincerity, but you asked.

The security hole in giving full control to everyone  to Avast folders can be exploited by malicious users with no privileges at all to remove files or replace them with malwares, escalation of privileges and so on.

If the info posted by Wendy is true, the bizarre could be how easily this issue passed by two Avast evangelists without apparent fireing the red alert in the comunity.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 09:56:36 AM »
Like it matters? I mean we all run in Admin mode? What difference does it make?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

kubecj

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 11:32:38 AM »
avvidro: What escalation of privileges in DATA folder? What malware replacements in DATA folder? Etc...

wendy k. walker

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 03:46:59 AM »
OK so now I don''t know if I should be waving a red flag, banging my head on my desk, or just sitting here crying.

Has anyone from Avast! been able to make a determination as to whether this is actually "A Big Security Hole" or not?

♥ Wendy

martosurf

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 07:27:00 AM »
What!? Excuse my sincerity, but you asked.

The security hole in giving full control to everyone  to Avast folders can be exploited by malicious users with no privileges at all to remove files or replace them with malwares, escalation of privileges and so on.

If the info posted by Wendy is true, the bizarre could be how easily this issue passed by two Avast evangelists without apparent fireing the red alert in the comunity.

Can you give some concrete examples to help me figure it better, please??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 03:59:35 PM »
Has anyone from Avast! been able to make a determination as to whether this is actually "A Big Security Hole" or not?
Shortly, there isn't  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 05:03:13 PM »
Is or isn't this to do with the escalation of privileges vulnerability where this was previously possible (effecting several AVs including avast), however, recent program update have or were supposed to correct this issue. So much so that some users couldn't view the avast4 folder (they didn't even have read permission) corrected by another program update.

Currently I believe it is only read permissions to all in the Data folder so this begs the question are you using the latest version of avast (current version 4.7.844).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Erroneus

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 12:01:22 AM »
Using v844 and everyone has full access here and yes it's a problem  :-X

If running on a PC with a single admin user, well then no problem, but if running on a pc, lets say eg. in a company or on a school where the user has restricted permissions on the computer, it's a huge security hole.

Please look into this "avast".

kubecj

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 10:36:37 AM »
Still not getting what's the problem.

Avast sets whole directory as read-only. Except for data folder. What's the problem with that again?

Negeltu

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 01:53:06 PM »
Still not getting what's the problem.

Avast sets whole directory as read-only. Except for data folder. What's the problem with that again?

I don't really see the problem either.   :-\