Author Topic: wow-64.exe not launching properly after avast update  (Read 26252 times)

Offline Nightwalker097

Re: wow-64.exe not launching properly after avast update
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 03:31:17 AM »
I just reinstalled WoW yesterday, could not get it to load.  Troubleshooting it today I have this exact problem, so the issue has not been resolved.  After a fresh reboot of the PC, WoW will load just fine.  I was able to play for several hours with no problems.  I logged out of both the game and the launcher for about 10 minutes.  I was able to log back into the launcher, but when I hit PLAY, the game itself does not load.  Same indication that all the other in this thread have had. When I uninstalled Avast and rebooted, WoW loads fine every time.

Now I was just informed that when my wife loaded her WoW, she had no problems and her computer has been running all day.  She is using the free version of Avast.

Hope this is fixed soon as I have paid for Avast and wish to continue using it.

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2018, 09:07:59 AM »
Hi Nightwalker097,
cau you provide us procmon log when Wow fails to load properly It would help us to resolve the issue ?

1) download procmon tool from (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon)
2) Start procmon
3) Start Wow and induce the issue
4) Save procmon log. Select File in menu ->  Save... ->  Events to save : all events, Format : Native process Monitor Format, Select path where you want to save the log
5) zip the procmon log and upload them to avast ftp (Nightwalker097_wow_fail.zip)

Thank you for help ! 

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2018, 08:03:41 PM »
Hi Nightwalker097,
cau you provide us procmon log when Wow fails to load properly It would help us to resolve the issue ?

1) download procmon tool from (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon)
2) Start procmon
3) Start Wow and induce the issue
4) Save procmon log. Select File in menu ->  Save... ->  Events to save : all events, Format : Native process Monitor Format, Select path where you want to save the log
5) zip the procmon log and upload them to avast ftp (Nightwalker097_wow_fail.zip)

Thank you for help !

The following file has been uploaded to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

Nightwalker097_wow_fail.zip

There are three files, two log files and one text file for details.  If this did not work, let me know who I can send a link to.

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »
Hi Nightwalker097,
can you try to disable avast self protection, rename C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\x64\aswhooka.dll library to aswhooka.dll.org and start wow64.exe ?
Let me know if it helped
Thank you !

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2018, 09:33:38 PM »
Hi Nightwalker097,
can you try to disable avast self protection, rename C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\x64\aswhooka.dll library to aswhooka.dll.org and start wow64.exe ?
Let me know if it helped
Thank you !

System will not allow me to change the file name, access denied.   Yes, I am using a Admin account.

REDACTED

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2018, 11:35:44 PM »
I have been exchanging emails with Avast support about this for a couple of weeks now, the response today surprised me considering some of the messages in this thread.

--------------------------
Hello John,

you are the only one who write to us with this issue.

Could you try just disable Avast if it will help to run the game. Don't uninstall, just stop all the shields.

Kind Regards,
Michal Hušek
The Avast Support Team
-----------------------------------

I swear there are messages in here indicating that people have been in touch with support.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2018, 11:38:58 PM »
Hi Nightwalker097,
Let me know if it helped
Thank you !

System will not allow me to change the file name, access denied.   Yes, I am using a Admin account.

Did you first disable the Avast Self-Defence module ?
AvastUI > Settings > Troubleshooting - uncheck the 'Enable Avast self-defence module' option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2018, 02:28:04 AM »
Yes, Self-Defense will protect avast files and prevent renaming, which is why you'd need to disable it for the moment.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2018, 05:19:06 AM »
I did the steps here, renaming the file after turning off self defense and wow launches every time for me.

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »
I disabled the Avast Self Defense Module, changed the aswhooka.dll to aswhooka.dll.org.  Loaded WoW-64.exe with no difference, it did not work.  I rebooted the computer, loaded WoW, and it loaded fine, but it was doing this before.  WoW would load after a fresh boot, but after an undetermined amount of time it would no longer load. Time varied.

I also tried to disable all shields, this had no effect, WoW still did not work.

So until this is figured out, I will uninstall Avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
I disabled the Avast Self Defense Module, changed the aswhooka.dll to aswhooka.dll.org.  Loaded WoW-64.exe with no difference, it did not work.  I rebooted the computer, loaded WoW, and it loaded fine, but it was doing this before.  WoW would load after a fresh boot, but after an undetermined amount of time it would no longer load. Time varied.

I also tried to disable all shields, this had no effect, WoW still did not work.

Yours is exactly what mine was doing before I renamed the file, I wonder if there aren't multiple things going on.  The last thing I did before renaming the file was a complete removal, including using the avast tool to clear everything out, and a re-install at support's request.  When I sent them my troubleshooting logs they said I had a mix of old and new dll files. 

I still don't consider this fixed as I have self defense turned off and that dll isn't loading.

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2018, 08:57:24 PM »

Yours is exactly what mine was doing before I renamed the file, I wonder if there aren't multiple things going on.  The last thing I did before renaming the file was a complete removal, including using the avast tool to clear everything out, and a re-install at support's request.  When I sent them my troubleshooting logs they said I had a mix of old and new dll files. 

I still don't consider this fixed as I have self defense turned off and that dll isn't loading.

I have not used the Avast removal tool, but after a standard uninstall via Windows WoW loads fine every time.  I find it interesting that with Avast installed, usually after a fresh boot WoW will load just fine and run fine as well.  After logging out of WoW, just the game, and waiting for some time, when I try to log back into WoW it won't load.  I agree, there might be multiple things going on that is the combination that is causing this issue.

Hoping the Avast team can get this fixed soon.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:59:39 PM by Nightwalker097 »

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2018, 11:57:35 PM »

I have not used the Avast removal tool, but after a standard uninstall via Windows WoW loads fine every time.  I find it interesting that with Avast installed, usually after a fresh boot WoW will load just fine and run fine as well.  After logging out of WoW, just the game, and waiting for some time, when I try to log back into WoW it won't load.  I agree, there might be multiple things going on that is the combination that is causing this issue.

Please do a clean install and see if that fixes the problem.

Clean Install of Avast:
https://goo.gl/4Ptzkf
If you need additional help with the Clean Install, watch this:
https://youtu.be/p-h3myRD51A

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2018, 02:41:52 AM »
I'm starting to think it only worked for me because it thought I would stay excited.  I played today, exited out of the game to watch a show online.  When I went to start the game back up it did not start.  Having been on the support side of the world I know how frustrating issues like this can be, I'm still annoyed at the insistence by the support agent that I was the only one reporting the issue.  It may very well be time to find a new product, and then I will have to make sure that every person on the staff that I have recommended Avast to, as well as all of the students and their parents find out about my support experience.

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2018, 03:52:52 AM »

Please do a clean install and see if that fixes the problem.

Clean Install of Avast:
https://goo.gl/4Ptzkf
If you need additional help with the Clean Install, watch this:
https://youtu.be/p-h3myRD51A

Followed procedures for Clean Install.  WoW still will not load.  Even after a fresh boot.  Waited 25+ min and tried again, no luck.