Author Topic: wow-64.exe not launching properly after avast update  (Read 26055 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: wow-64.exe not launching properly after avast update
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2018, 03:56:19 AM »
Sorry but it's one more item eliminated. I'm not a gamer. Have never experienced the problem myself.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2018, 10:29:15 AM »
Hi Nightwalker097,
I try to find which component is responsible for the issue.

Ok next try :
1) Can you keep renamed aswhooka.dll and its x86 sibling aswhookx.dll
2) Rename snxhk.dll files located in c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\snxhk.dll and c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\64\snxhk.dll
3) Try to induce the issue.

Please let me know if something has changed.
Thank you

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2018, 01:26:39 AM »
Hi Nightwalker097,

Ok next try :
2) Rename snxhk.dll files located in c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\snxhk.dll and c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\64\snxhk.dll

Thank you

Question, how does renaming these dll files affect the AV's ability to protect the system?  Not really a fan of having my computer connected to the internet and not being protected.  Also, one of your testers could probably use a free World Of Warcraft account to do some of these tests.  I am having to reinstall, test, and uninstall Avast every time here to help.

As soon as I hear from you about protection issues, and what the mentioned dll does, I will give it a try.

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2018, 06:55:42 PM »
Hi Nightwalker097,

Ok next try :

Thank you

I tried what you suggested above, still the same problem.

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2018, 10:12:41 PM »
Any word on when this problem might get resolved?

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2018, 08:35:31 PM »
This problem has NOT been fixed. Avast still causing WoW-64.exe to not launch properly.

REDACTED

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2018, 06:35:05 PM »
This problem has NOT been fixed. Avast still causing WoW-64.exe to not launch properly.

I haven't received anymore replies from support  :-\ so after them telling me that I was the only person to report the problem, then that they couldn't duplicate it I am pretty sure I am just going to swallow my recent renewal for our household computers and move back to Norton/Symantec.  Like you I have removed everything and re-installed it, tried disabling all shields and the only time that wow launches 100% of the time is when Avast is removed from my system.

I understand software glitches, I don't understand what I believe are customer service glitches.

John

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2018, 07:40:06 PM »

I haven't received anymore replies from support  :-\ so after them telling me that I was the only person to report the problem, then that they couldn't duplicate it I am pretty sure I am just going to swallow my recent renewal for our household computers and move back to Norton/Symantec.  Like you I have removed everything and re-installed it, tried disabling all shields and the only time that wow launches 100% of the time is when Avast is removed from my system.

I understand software glitches, I don't understand what I believe are customer service glitches.

John

Well I have found that if I reboot my computer, everything works fine, but only after a fresh boot.  It works, but is NOT a fix.  I suggested to them to get a free WoW account and use it for their troubleshooting.  It was after this that they also stopped responding to me.  We pay for the application, and I am happy to help them in troubleshooting problems, but for them to just stop responding it bad business.  I will continue to use Avast until my current sub if done, but I may leave after that.  Maybe by then they will find the glitch and get it fixed.

In another thread, someone had very similar problems when trying to play Overwatch. Wonder if the problems are related. I tried the possible fixes there (not mudh different than what we have already tried) with no success.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:42:57 PM by Nightwalker097 »

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »
Hi Nightwalker097,
we asked our testers to reproduce the issue they havent been able to reproduce it :-(

Offline Martin Kudlicka

• Avast team
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2018, 09:10:56 AM »
Can you please try to turn off anti-rootkit and anti-exploit in settings/troubleshooting if it helps?
Avast Support Tool - https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB33#artTitle
Avast support - https://support.avast.com - submit a support ticket

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2018, 04:21:24 PM »
Hi Nightwalker097,
we asked our testers to reproduce the issue they havent been able to reproduce it :-(

I have been able to reproduce this issue on my laptop as well.

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2018, 07:40:00 PM »
Can you please try to turn off anti-rootkit and anti-exploit in settings/troubleshooting if it helps?

Ok I disabled both the anti-rootkit and anti-exploit.  WoW loads fine. 

I enabled the anti-rootkit and WoW fails to load.  So I think there may be the problem.

This was verified on two different computers.

Thanks for your help.  Hopefully there will be a fix soon for this.

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2018, 05:09:16 PM »
Hi Nightwalker097,
today we released a fix for this issue in VPS 180626-4 .
Please let us know if it help !
Thank you
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:13:25 AM by kwiq »

Offline Nightwalker097

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2018, 06:27:09 AM »
Hi Nightwalker097,
today we released for this issuein VPS 180626-4 .
Please let us know if it help !
Thank you

Well everything seems to be working now.  I have had no issues loading WoW-64.exe.  My VPS is 180626-6.

I was happy to assist you all in fixing this issue.

Thanks for a great product.

Offline xppxzqq

« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2019, 08:28:23 PM »
And it's back again with the PTR version of the Overwatch game. The PTR version is the beta build of the game which contains changes for the users to test and I HAVE to uninstall Avast to play it. For the love of god, can you please make Avast stop this super annoying intervention. I have to uninstall your product again to start a perfectly legitimate application.