Author Topic: VPS: 0624-0  (Read 22626 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: VPS: 0624-0
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 12:06:38 AM »
BTW: Vlk, have you already added the missed samples from the February AV-comparatives test ?

Not really - and the main reason is that we don't have them... ;) :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 12:12:00 AM »
Not really - and the main reason is that we don't have them...

Read: "maybe we did, but it's hard to say since we don't know which ones they are" ;)

DaveD

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 01:33:08 AM »
[So, even in February, avast detected at least 444,293 "viruses"
Just a curiosity, why doesn't you count the virus like the 'other' antiviruses?
Won't make the things easier and improve your marketing?  ::)

I just wanted to echo these questions from Tech again and would really look forward to hearing an answer from an Alwil Team member on this one.  :)

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 03:57:02 AM »
still Avast! keep missing these i sent long time ago :(
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 01:34:17 PM »
BTW: Vlk, have you already added the missed samples from the February AV-comparatives test ?
Not really - and the main reason is that we don't have them... ;) :)
Not really - and the main reason is that we don't have them...
Read: "maybe we did, but it's hard to say since we don't know which ones they are" ;)
OK, thanks for the answer :)
How about your opinion about the Virus List?  ::)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

kubecj

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2006, 11:28:59 AM »
You really want 100 000+ records added like Win32:Trojan-000001 [Trj]?  ;D

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2006, 11:44:22 AM »
Rather than hearing from all the wannabee business managers of avast and the numbers they think avast should be advertising ... not one of which will do one d*mned thing to keep my system safe tomorrow and all the tomorrows to come perhaps we can hear a bit more about Dwarden's concern about missing information provided to avast.

How does the avast team respond to a report that it is missing infections that were reported to it some time ago? 

kubecj

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 11:46:02 AM »
Submissions are not forgotten.

They just aren't in LIFO or FIFO order, contrary to most of the user's expectations.  :-\

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2006, 11:51:55 AM »
kubecj,

I think most of us can understand that response ...

However, if a user says that there are infections still undetected that were reported "a long time ago" I have to guess they are speaking of more than a few weeks. 

How would you want Dwarden to deal with specific longstanding issues that have not been addressed?   

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2006, 12:14:04 PM »
Submissions should be added the next day. Anything else is just failing.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2006, 01:13:33 PM »
No, of course  ;D
I mean your opinion about this:
Or won't it be better to fully remove the virus encyclopedia from the program (I know that this should be in the WishList topic, but...) - I mean when an ordinary user opens the encyclopedia and see only 56000 sample names, and after that compare avast! with other AV, in many cases the user will choose the AV with more virus signatures showed in the program. So this is a bit confusing or let it say missleading for some users, in my opinion. For example if  I am not wrong for the same reason VBA32 removed their Virus list from their product.
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2006, 01:41:38 PM »
No, not really, you can count it as just one... You're taking an extreme situation as example. Maybe the virtue will be in the middle of the extrems possibilities.

Submissions are not forgotten. They just aren't in LIFO or FIFO order, contrary to most of the user's expectations. :-\
This will never help AFTER the user is infected...  :-[

Submissions should be added the next day. Anything else is just failing.
At least, the ITW ones should have this protocol...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2006, 11:46:48 PM »
kubecj,

I think most of us can understand that response ...

However, if a user says that there are infections still undetected that were reported "a long time ago" I have to guess they are speaking of more than a few weeks. 

How would you want Dwarden to deal with specific longstanding issues that have not been addressed?   

well they keep adding them over time ...

most of them aren't important to be added instantly ...

but there was small amount which really bother me (let say real danger) ... like one or two still missing
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

martosurf

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2006, 06:23:40 AM »
Hi polonus. I also think that Avast is good, and I am happy that it improves. The reason that I now am using BD on my desktop, is because I felt that Avast could improve some more, I think it still has a lot of potential to develop, and when I can see in some tests, like av.comparatives that Avast is in the same league (sorry for my spell.. don´t know how to write that) that Kaspersky, NOD or BD, Ill use it again and for good.
As I said before, Im happy that avast improves, and with my previuos posts, I don´t want to criticize avast, I wanted that avast improve.
K.

I do not agree friend >:-)

Having some 17 years working with computers -from the old-good 8-bit machines- I think avast! is an EXCELLENT antivirus that can without any problem share first place with Kaspersky's, BitDef., Norton, NOD, Norman, Panda, etc. and even get ahead all of them.
I think avast! needs to mutate to a comprehensive [Internet] Security Solution with proactive defense (like KIS6, ProcessGuard or TinyPersonal Firewall PRO) and a very-good internal firewall (like Tiny).

Keep up this excellent work and please consider getting a step forward Security Suite

IBK

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2006, 01:05:20 AM »
Avast has in the last months added a lot of the missed samples (over 16500 samples so far) and will continue to do that.
Of course samples submitted from users should be added with higher priority.
btw, samples must be added by priorities, no av company adds within some few days all samples that are submitted to them, esp. not if they are not coming from users, but from e.g. testers or other big collections [imo]

@alwil: if you need an updated list of samples still missed, just let me know ;) - at the moment you should have enough samples on the ftp to add ;)