Author Topic: NEWDOTNET Nuisance  (Read 21815 times)

dscomp

Re: NEWDOTNET Nuisance
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 09:39:41 AM »
Thanks polonus. I wont be surprised to get more of these & will see if this workaround can save some time.

noz

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 04:20:05 PM »
To solve issue, just do start/run ant type in
netsh winsock reset
Hit ok and reboot, will be OK.

no more manipulations are needed....

We got about 60-70 customers with this issue, all of them solved the issue with this manipulation.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 04:47:50 PM »
 :)  Hi all ( and Noz ) :

As I said in the other thread, "netsh winsock reset" works
     ONLY if one has Win XP SP2 .

noz

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 05:50:44 PM »
yeah you're right in extremes.

But as the probleme seems to be in closed relation with the SP2 firewall, i supposed that this issue can only appears with SP2?? perhaps i'm wrong!

we didn't had any customers with this problem under any other OS....

can anyone here tell me if he had this under SP1 or something else?

by the way thx all for infos, i need a maximum of informations to answer our cust's questions  ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 05:57:29 PM by noz »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 07:59:49 PM »
 :)  Hi Noz :

If one has Win XP SP1, then use the "Winsockfix" program
      instead of the "netsh winsock reset" command" .

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 10:17:05 PM »
Hi noz,

This is the golden tip. After cleaning out the newdotnet with x-cleaner micro from here: http://www.xblock.com/download-freeware.php (Do not forget to bckup the registry), I rebooted the computer and lost both the browser and mail internet connections. Happily the man had Win XP SP2 indstalled. So went via start to the commandline  prompt and give in  the magical "netsh winsock reset" (without brackets), and instantly after the enter it got the connection reset and working again.
So I can state after what I have experienced to-night, that this works beautifully. Chapeau "noz", you are a promishing malware fighter. Thanx. Else I would have used lspfix from a mem stick.
Open my computer, double click, and run from that partition.

But again "netsh winsock reset" is the easiest and most elegant of  varyous solutions lest on XP SP2.

Good work noz, I remember the victim of Newdotnet after he saw his Internet connection back. "How did you do that?"
I responded: "Just some magical word from a very good anti-virus forum". The nicest thing is the big smile in the eyes you get. Great feeling, man. Most awarding.

polonus

« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 10:19:14 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

dscomp

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 02:19:01 AM »
thanks noz

noz

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 09:49:19 AM »
dude, it's my job  ;)

But no one answered me: did you ever saw this problem under any other os than XP SP2?

I think it happen only when the sharedaccess service (sp2 firewall/internet connection sharing) is present, so=>only on SP2.

more simply:
Did anyone actually encountered this issue under SP1?

I just would like to have this info to forward it to my boss  ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 09:51:48 AM by noz »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 01:35:19 PM »
Noz,

Yep, the case that I cleansed was with SP2 installed. We had various newdotnet infections here in threads on this forum, you could ask the victims, who are now free of this foistware, if they had SP2 installed. This spyware nuisances all go according the "known to give guarantee" recipe. So it is very well possible they work in a way you suppose. There was a whole period that malware was silently installed through one and the same exploit (unpatched ByteVerify java hole for instance).
Foistware and nuisances like these are applied by methods that are not particvularly innovative, but they seek for effectiveness.

polonus

Akaara

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 01:48:12 PM »
I am pretty sure that this newdot.net virus is what destroyed my other computer. I am using a brand new, bug/virus free computer and would like to keep it that way.

I was able to copy some pics, documents etc from the computer that died, is it safe to put those on this new computer?

I have all my spyware/spamfighter/virus protection enabled and it scans clean.

So, should I wait a little longer before attempting to add the old files I made from the CD onto this computer? Or is it safe enough to scan them with avast and proceed to add them. I do have a favorites folder as well.

Just don't wanna go through that again.

By the way I am using Netscreen hardware firewall, not sure if this was the reason Avast could not fully delete that virus from my old comp.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 05:45:38 PM »
 :)  Hi Akaara :

Newdotnet is primarily "Adware/Spyware", not a "Virus".
      And I have never heard of it "destroying" a computer,
      since its purpose is to "deliver" ads & possibly "spy" on
      you to deliver that info to its "sponsor" .
      What are the name(s) of your antispyware program(s) ?
      And the mention of "Netscreen hardware" firewall
      implies you do NOT have a "software" firewall !?
      Anything from the "old" computer should be screened
      by more than just Avast; I suspect you probably have
      other "malware" that caused your other computer to
      be "destroyed".
      Hopefully, you have the good & FREE "Ewido" from :
      www.ewido.net/en on your new computer !?

Akaara

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 07:17:57 PM »
It did something so the computer couldn't find the ethernet card, now I don't know what would cause this or if Avast didn't know what it was. My husband reinstall the OS and had to do something to get the ethernet card to work.

Do you think I can safely put the information I saved from that old computer onto this new one? Or should I wait abit in case it's a new virus/worm.

thanks,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 07:53:24 PM »
Do you think I can safely put the information I saved from that old computer onto this new one?
What do you call information here? Your documents? Program and applications folders?

Or should I wait abit in case it's a new virus/worm.
If on the new one you use avast at 'high' security level and, maybe, if you scan all the moved files with ewido... I won't be worried...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 08:22:59 PM »
Quote from: Akaara
Do you think I can safely put the information I saved from that old computer onto this new one?

You can scan the CD you made for the data using avast and ewido as Tech mentions to see if there is anything there.

Placing that data in a temporary folder on your hard disk 'TempCD' or similar name shouldn't cause any problems as you aren't executing any potential malware. You could also scan that folder (as I'm not sure it would scan a CD) using an on-line scanner as a second or third opinion, etc.

On-line Virus Scanners and other useful Links Security-Ops.eu.tt, you would need to pause Standard Shield once you establish the connection just before starting the on-line scan to avoid conflict, enable it again immediately the scan is completed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 11:17:46 PM »
Hi Akaara,

If you reinstalled the OS in such a way that a larger part of your old files are there, this should be fine after a thorough scan or a look into possible registry or dll conflicts. You could safe all your data and reinstall the old programs. Some programs need a reinstall to make them work again.
If you are sure that this was the only thing in which your OS was affected and after for instance a thorough online scan, you can trust your machine and the folders on it from that point.
The major point for me always is to know the background of trouble (instantly or gradually). Essential to know is what made the computer malfunction? Even spyware infections badly documented can create havoc on a machine.

polonus