Author Topic: When automatic updating virus definitions "cannot connect"  (Read 11141 times)

rtsmith

When automatic updating virus definitions "cannot connect"
« on: June 12, 2006, 02:15:30 PM »
Hello all,

i am running Windows XP and Zone Alarm Home Edition.  I am getting the dreaded red box when avast first tries to download virus definitions (after I turn on my computer) and it says

Information about current update:
Last encountered error: Cannot connect to download43.avast.com (66.98.216.24:80).

Total time: 2:08

I have access to the internet, both avast virus and email scanning have all green checks in Zone Alarm.  This just started happening all of a sudden.  I've reinstalled the latest version of Avast...same results.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?

thanks in advance,
Rachel

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: When automatic updating virus definitions "cannot connect"
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 03:28:20 PM »
Check and ensure ZA allows access for avast,setup (the update function), if it does and it has permission, delete the entry in ZA. Now do a manual update ZA should ask permission again, accept it and you should be able to connect.

ZA has previously shown this problem of a program with permission being blocked, perhaps a database problem where it forgets settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rtsmith

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 09:00:42 PM »
Thank-you, that did the trick!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 09:29:16 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

peggymac

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 12:04:27 AM »
when I startup the internet, the red box pops up from behind the time, saying I need to update. after I click on it, another box pops up in the middle of the screen saying, " Last encountered error: can't select any server for downloading (from 0) total time 22s {that varies}. what am I doing wrong??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 12:11:58 AM »
What am I doing wrong??
Probably nothing... The servers.def file could get corrupt in your computer.
You can download servers.def from here: http://download1.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def
Save it to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\setup folder
Start the update again and post the results. If it fails, we'll try another solution  8)
The best things in life are free.

peggymac

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 12:29:57 AM »
I followed all the steps you said, but when I went to "updating...iAVS update", I received the same box..."can't select any server for downloading..."

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 12:53:35 AM »
But is it still saying Last encountered error: can't select any server for downloading (from 0) ?
If so you probaly haven't placed into the correct folder, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\setup as Tech mentioned. Check this location for the file and what is its size, if 0KB delete it and try a manual upload and I believe it should download it again.
Or delete it and try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

peggymac

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 07:10:24 PM »
hello, again. I redid the steps you described before, to no avail.  I went to Add/Remove and followed those steps, but no luck again.  The only thing that might be hindering me is the fact that I have Open Office 2.0 instead of MS Word.  Would that make a difference anywhere?  The computer repair store installed this Avast program last time it was in there (a month ago) and I don't believe it has updated since I brought it home! Should I take it back to them?

cmthomson

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 07:34:25 PM »
when I startup the internet, the red box pops up from behind the time, saying I need to update. after I click on it, another box pops up in the middle of the screen saying, " Last encountered error: can't select any server for downloading (from 0) total time 22s {that varies}. what am I doing wrong??
I had this exact problem after installing the latest Windows update yesterday. Getting a new key made this message go away, but then a "key invalid" error occurred during update. Doing a repair fixed this and now all is happiness again. To repair, contol panel, add/remove program, avast, repair.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 07:39:27 PM »
The only thing that might be hindering me is the fact that I have Open Office 2.0 instead of MS Word.  Would that make a difference anywhere?
No, it won't.
Last avast versions does not use even the storage drivers of Microsoft (ODBC).
Do you have any problem now or not? I'm not sure reading your posts...
The best things in life are free.

peggymac

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 07:44:09 PM »
I have taken the Control Panel route, but when I get to the last step, "repair", I have no option to do that, just add/remove. when I click on that, nothing happens. and I just tried to update the iAVS with the same message...can't select server for downloading (from 0).

cmthomson

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 07:52:59 PM »
I left out a step: while trying a new key and repairing, I disabled Windows Defender (turn it off with startup inspector and reboot); I don't know whether this was related or not, but the Defender signatures were updated by the last Windows Update that was the apparent cause of all this grief.

cmthomson

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 07:57:16 PM »
I have taken the Control Panel route, but when I get to the last step, "repair", I have no option to do that, just add/remove. when I click on that, nothing happens. and I just tried to update the iAVS with the same message...can't select server for downloading (from 0).
Sorry for incomplete instructions. Repair is one of the options after you click on change/remove. You have to scroll down to see it.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 05:08:20 AM »
Hi Tech, I don't know how to make that "Quote" thing work, but you said >

You can download servers.def from here: http://download1.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def

OK I clicked on that link, and it took me to a page that looked just like if I had opened notepad to edit a file.

There was no way to download what was there other than to do the copy/paste thing.

Is that what you were wanting them to do, copy it there, and then past it into their files?

I'm asking because I've had similar troubles with the little red box popping up every time I start my PC.

Thanks Wendy