Author Topic: When automatic updating virus definitions "cannot connect"  (Read 11096 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: When automatic updating virus definitions "cannot connect"
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 05:50:22 AM »
Hi Tech, I don't know how to make that "Quote" thing work
If you click in the buttom 'quote', what do you get?  ::)

You can download servers.def from here: http://download1.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def
OK I clicked on that link, and it took me to a page that looked just like if I had opened notepad to edit a file.
There was no way to download what was there other than to do the copy/paste thing.
Is that what you were wanting them to do, copy it there, and then past it into their files?
Yes, copy its contents and replace the ones at the original servers.def file.
Save the file and start the update.  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 03:29:13 PM »
Try right clicking the link and select save link as or similar words and save it to your hard disk.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wendy k. walker

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 02:03:54 PM »
Hi Tech, when I try to use the quote thing it copies everything from where I selected "quote" down to the bottom of the page.

OK I'll try that and see if it helps.
Thanks

Wendy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 05:09:59 PM »
Hi Tech, when I try to use the quote thing it copies everything from where I selected "quote" down to the bottom of the page.
Wendy, in the forums options (buttom Profile above) there is a possibility to 'disable' quick answers.
So, when you click quote a new tab (window) will be opened with the quoted text.
Then, you delete or cute the text, copying the first line of the quote command, including the brackets and finish with the word 'quote' into brackets too:
Here without the brackets for you to see:

quote author=wendy k. walker link=topic=21610.msg181001#msg181001 date=1150545834
\quote

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 05:46:10 PM »
It will when you click the quote button in a post it will quoting the whole post, you need to keep the bits you need, e.g. the initial quote reference and the closing quote and any text you don't want you delete.
For example with the square brackets:
Code: [Select]
[quote author=wendy k. walker link=topic=21610.msg181001#msg181001 date=1150545834]
quote of the content you wish to retain
[/quote]

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Baseman

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 07:52:34 PM »
Evidently I am not the only one who started having this problem all of the sudden. I run Avast Home 4.7 on XP Pro. Was fully updated and functioning properly before I recently started getting error messages while it tries to update. It says it cant connect to the server...... "connection terminated, retrying".

I replaced the servers.def file, and even did a repair of the install. The repair told me "The product was sucessfully updated"......... yet it STILL will not connect and update. I have removed it from my firewall, and added it back again as an authorized connection.

it seems many people are having a problem with this all of the sudden, recently............. is it possible there is a problem with the server?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 07:54:33 PM »
it seems many people are having a problem with this all of the sudden, recently............. is it possible there is a problem with the server?
Does this occur just after the logon or at any time you try to update?
Does this occur with automatic updates or manual ones either?

Baseman

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 04:59:06 AM »
both...and all. Since it tries to update immeidately upon booting...... the message comes up then, and everytime it both tries to auto update, or when I try to manually update it...... and it does it both for the virus definition update, and the program update.

last error received:

"Information about current update:
Last encountered error: Cannot connect to download16.avast.com (70.84.132.26:80).

Total time: 26:00"

web5iy

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2006, 10:31:21 AM »
very good!!! ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2006, 04:25:31 PM »
both...and all.
So, the problem should be in the firewall (blocking access to update).
Which firewall do you use?

If it occurs just after logging, you could change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast4.ini file.
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.
More details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

Baseman

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 09:31:19 PM »
it wasnt the time of delay........... something changed in the update last week, whether it was the updater or not. I had the same modules allowed access that I always had for the program. It didnt work again until I:

1) Removed the Avast entries in my firewall configuration that I had allowed to access the internet.
2) Turned off my firewall
3) Did a manual update of Avast(which worked finally)
4) Turned the firewall back on
5) Allow the same modules access to the internet again, in the firewall configuration.

........ and it has worked since.

I doubt it was an issue with the firewall itself, as both my desktops and my laptop encountered the same problem at the exact same time....... as well all the others who had posted.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 10:28:08 PM »
You didn't say what firewall you used, but Zone Alarm has in the past forgotten allocated permissions even though the list said permission was granted.

There hasn't been a program update for some time which would be the most likely to change the avast.setup file and if changed your firewall should ask again and not simply block updates (unless you inadvertently clicked deny, etc. without realising it was for avast update).

I have also had this when whilst browsing, I suddenly couldn't access http pages, I checked my firewall permissions for ashWebSv.exe and it had permission, yet it was being blocked. The only thing to resolve it was to do what you did, delete the entry in the firewall and have the firewall ask again.

Quote from: Baseman
I doubt it was an issue with the firewall itself, as both my desktops and my laptop encountered the same problem at the exact same time....... as well all the others who had posted.

Whilst this does seem too much to be a coincidence when you have it happen on two computers. I doubt that all the issues with update could be the same otherwise we would be inundated at the forums with this problem. Also if it hadn't been firewall related for many then we wouldn't have been able to resolve their problem, as in the originator of this Topic.