Author Topic: Crashing in High Sierra (10.13.3)  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Amarand Agasi

• I'm just this guy, you know?
  • Computers/photography/psychology/writing/haiku!
    • Flickr Site
Crashing in High Sierra (10.13.3)
« on: February 22, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »
Hey guys!

I've been using Avast over on my PC for years, no issues. My wife does a lot of Mac support for clients, and yesterday, she had a virus/malware trigger on one of her Macs during a 1Password upgrade. I think she's still trying to work that out with 1Password BUT...

On my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), I'm running macOS High Sierra (10.13.3) and when I checked my macOS Status Area, the free version of Avast Mac Security wasn't there. Eek!  (As a security professional, I always have an anti-virus package installed whenever possible.)

So, knowing I'd installed it before, I was a little concerned, but figured it was one of the many macOS updates, or perhaps an Avast update, that had caused the issue.

I downloaded and installed the free version of Avast Mac Security, which installed fine (no errors).

I can click "Show Shields/Program/License Info" and get the pop-ups, but when I try to select "Open Avast" I get an app crash:

"Avast Security quit unexpectedly"

Process:               Avast [1275]
Path:                  /Applications/Avast.app/Contents/MacOS/Avast
Identifier:            com.avast.AAFM
Version:               13.4 (338ddb6525b2)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Avast [1275]
User ID:               1234

So I obviously tried rebooting, just to clear things up: same issue.

Any ideas?

Also, our family typically buys a multi-year, multi-PC license for Avast Premier.  Is there a way to bundle the Pro version of the Avast Mac Security in with our home purchase? $59.99 for the Premium package seems a little steep.