Author Topic: Clarification Please [SQLite splash screen issue]  (Read 12929 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Clarification Please [SQLite splash screen issue]
« on: June 13, 2006, 07:32:50 AM »
Starting up Avast I just got this error message:
Program cannot set property into main Storage

A link explains:

Q: What should I do when I see this error

A: This FAQ item is not intended to be followed with avast! version 4.7 and newer.
This error message is displayed when your ODBC drivers are too old, or damaged, or if they aren´t installed properly. avast! before version 4.7 uses these drivers by default. There are two solutions for this problem:

Install current ODBC drivers provided by Microsoft. You can download them from this page.
Don´t use the ODBC drivers, use XML instead. To make avast! use XML drivers, follow these steps:
Open the file avast4.ini located in C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\DATA in Notepad.
Find the section [COMMON]
In this section, change the line
Database=ODBC to Database=XML
Save the file
Restart your computer

1) What does this mean? "This FAQ item is not intended to be followed with avast! version 4.7 and newer."

I'm not sure, does this mean that version 4.7 and new should not have this problem or does this mean that it will have this problem?  ???  I'm just not sure what "... followed with Avast! version 4.7 and newer" is meant to say.  ???

2) What arer "ODBC" drivers?  What do they do?

3) And why are my "ODBC drivers suddenly too old, or damaged, or not installed properly."

4) I have been using different builds of version 4.7 all along and no problems up until tonight.

5) What is the difference between using "ODBC" drivers and "XML"... What do they each do differently.... Pros and cons, please.

6) Can I somehow use Avast to scan my computer so that I can feel safe backing up my hard drive before I start thinking about installing ODBC drivers or using XML (what ever all this means).

7) Anything else you computer experts can think to fill in a dummys like me about these things?

ALSO AFTER I RIGHT CLICKED ON THE SPLASH SCREEN BUTTON IN THE TRAY AT BOTTOM TO "CLOSE" (by clicking on "close") THE SPASH SCREEN AVAST PROGRAM WAS STARTED AND SINCE IT LOOKED OKAY TO ME AT THIS POINT I STARTED A SCAN AND IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING JUST FINE AS FAR AS I CAN SEE.

IS THIS A "FALSE ALARM" (INCORRECT ERROR MESSAGE) I GOT WHEN I FIRST LAUNCHED AVAST?

Thanks in advance, I await explanations so that I can back up my hard drive safely.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:54:05 PM by Vlk »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: Clarification Please
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:23:50 AM »
Okay since no one was able to tackle my last questions, I've got another one.

After the error that I just posted I ran a scan just as I had said I was able to do.  I interupted the scan and later started the Avast scanner (engine) again to see what would happen.

It started up without any error but I find that I have to interupt the "memory scan" as it just goes on and on and won't quit.  It seems to be scanning many more files than it should be if were just scanning memory.

I closing and starting up the Avast scanner (engine) several times after this.  I didn't get any errors (as I did the first time on the splash screen) but it appears that the memory scan maybe is leaving where it left off before.  It is scanning memory immediately as soon as I start it each time.  And will just keep scanning on and on and on until I stop the memory scan.

Has something changed in this regard with the latest version of 4.7.844?  ???

This is the first time I've tried scanning since I upgraded to 4.7.844 and have never experienced this on prior versions.

Does the memory scan do more now than before?

I let it run for well over 5 minutes before I interupted it.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:27:29 AM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:23:00 PM »
The latest version (844) doesn't use ODBC drivers anymore, so the FAQ item is obsolete from that point of view. The mentioned problem should not appear anymore - but if it somehow does, updating ODBC drivers won't help.

I'm not aware of any changes of the memory scan in any recent builds. Can you write here a few filenames that are being scanned during this long scan? (I know they are changing quickly, but maybe you could catch a few?)
And no, the memory scan doesn't continue where it was interrupted last time; it always starts from the beginning.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 01:43:55 PM »
The latest version (844) doesn't use ODBC drivers anymore, so the FAQ item is obsolete from that point of view. The mentioned problem should not appear anymore - but if it somehow does, updating ODBC drivers won't help.
Please, remove the FAQ and change the Help files (Troubleshooting page of settings)  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 01:55:01 PM »
The help files are already updated, aren't they?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 02:00:25 PM »
Sorry, my fault, they're already updated  :-[

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 07:31:38 AM »
I get this error window still that says in big letters "Cannot Access the File Because" then in small letters below this it says "program cannot set property into Main storage.".

There is an "OK" button and a link that says "Read more about this problem in FAQ".

Then when I click the "OK" the splash screen remains.  The only way to close the splash screen is to right click on the Avast button on task bar and select "close".

Once I do that I can start the Avast Scanner back up and the error doesn't occur again, but the memory scanning goes and goes and goes like the energizer bunny and never stops.

Btw, click on the link "Read more about this problem in FAQ...

I get the same message (about ODBC drivers):

Q: What should I do when I see this error message: "Unknown error. Program cannot set property into main Storage"?
A: This FAQ item is not intended to be followed with avast! version 4.7 and newer.
This error message is displayed when your ODBC drivers are too old, or damaged, or if they aren´t installed properly. avast! before version 4.7 uses these drivers by default.
etc. etc. etc. etc.

I would attach a word document with the images of what I am talking about but I can't figure out how to attach files to these messages....  ??? ??? ???

When I start the Scanner back up the memory scan looks at files I would never expect to be looked at.  It goes so fast it is very very difficult to see them but this list is an idea:

1. A lot of DLL's
2. Photoshop .... something
3. Quicktime... something
4. Aquariium.scp (a screen saver program)
5. [UPX] This shows up more than once
6. A lot of .int files
7. A lot of .chm files
8. A lot of .ttf files
9. Quicktimeinstaller (wouldn't expect this)
10 Frontpage2002setup (wouldn't expect this)
11. Some .wav files
12. Some .ram files
13. lua.exe (I think)
14. 1173B2A.tmp (stopped here a long time)
15. A whole lot of .TMP files.
16. Avast.setup (hummm?)
17. A whole lot of numbers with .chm files
The last one was going forever when I stopped the memory scan.

As I said I've got a word document with examples of the error screen if I knew how to attach I could show this.

Negeltu

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 08:39:58 AM »
.chm are usually Microsoft html help files.

I can't really comment on the rest.  When I start avast up and it goes through the memory scan it seems to be scanning a lot of files that I don't see why it would need to, but this doesn't bother me as it only lasts a short while.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 07:38:21 AM »
Igor asked:
Can you write here a few filenames that are being scanned during this long scan? (I know they are changing quickly, but maybe you could catch a few?)

So I tried to write down as much as I could for about 8 minutes or so before I interupted the scan.

Also igor wrote:

If that's the case then why did I get what I got when I clicked on the link when the error I am getting showed up.

See my post just before Negeltu's post for clarification.

Also I'm not getting any help on my more important issue (see my previous for more clarification:

error window still that says in big letters "Cannot Access the File Because" then in small letters below this it says "program cannot set property into Main storage.".

ALSO I'VE GOT A WORD DOCUMENT WITH IMAGES OF THE ERROR MESSAGE BOXES I AM GETTING FROM AVAST.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW I ATTACH OR INBED OR INSERT THE DOCUMENT OR THE IMAGES INTO THIS FORUM SO THAT I CAN OFFER AN EXAMPLE OF THE ACTUAL ERROR WINDOWS AVAST IS GIVING ME?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 07:46:14 AM by lakrsrool »

Xisco

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 11:52:30 AM »

Hola a tod@s:
Me parece que este no es el lugar adecuado para hacer esta consulta, espero sabreis disculpar, apenas entiendo el inglés. Y mucho menos escribirlo.
Queria hacer una consulta.
Hace una semana compre dos licencias por 1 año del Avast Pro. Una es para un familiar y la otra para mi.
Nos dieron la misma clave a los dos. Mi pregunta es la siguiente:
Si tengo dos sistemas operativos con internet en la misma máquina, ¿puedo instalar en ambos el Avast Pro, con mi número de licencia?
Perjudicaría eso al familiar que tiene instalado Avast Pro, con ese mismo número de licencia.
Gracias de antemano y perdón por las molestias.
Saludos ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 02:48:44 PM »
Quote from: lakrsrool
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW I ATTACH OR INBED OR INSERT THE DOCUMENT OR THE IMAGES INTO THIS FORUM SO THAT I CAN OFFER AN EXAMPLE OF THE ACTUAL ERROR WINDOWS AVAST IS GIVING ME?

There is no need to SHOUT ;D you can only attach certain documents (.doc isn't one of them only .txt or .log) and certain image types, jpg, gif and png.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8982.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 03:45:31 PM »
Hace una semana compre dos licencias por 1 año del Avast Pro. Una es para un familiar y la otra para mi.
Nos dieron la misma clave a los dos.
No esta correcto. Puedes enviar un mail a sales@avast.com pidiendo la segunda clave. Cada licencia corresponde a una clave.

Si tengo dos sistemas operativos con internet en la misma máquina, ¿puedo instalar en ambos el Avast Pro, con mi número de licencia?
Yo creo que sí... pero tendré que preguntar a ellos en inglés.

Perjudicaría eso al familiar que tiene instalado Avast Pro, con ese mismo número de licencia.
Entiendo que la clave 'familiar' esta en otra ordenadora... o no?

Gracias de antemano y perdón por las molestias.
Saludos ;)
Es mejor estrenar un nuevo asunto (pinche el boton New thread) y no postar en otro que no tiene que ver con tu problema.
Disculpadme el castellano de un brasileño. Bienvenido a los forums.

In English:
Hello to all:
I think this is not the right place to post my question, I hope you forgive me, I can't speak English and even more write.
I have a question: a week ago I've bought two licenses of avast Pro (one year validity each). One is for a relative of mine and other is for me.
Alwil gave me the same number for the both ones.
I have two operational system with Internet connection at the same computer. Can I install the same license on these two operational systems?
What will it happen with the second computer (from my relative) that has the same license number?
Thanks in advance and forgive me to bother you.
Cheers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 03:45:13 AM »
DavidR wrote:

There is no need to SHOUT  you can only attach certain documents (.doc isn't one of them only .txt or .log) and certain image types, jpg, gif and png.

Actually what I would like to know how to do is when I get this error every time I launch the Avast scanner I would like to know how I can capture the image and save it as a jpg or gif.

I have seen loggers place images of windows and messages off the screen and insert them as I guess attachments as you have been so kind to point out with the link.

But what I find is that when I get the message on my screen I cannot right click on it to presumably save it as an image.  I suppose this is not the way to do it anyway.

The only thing I know to do is to do a print screen and then past the image of the clipboard into a document such as word.  This is just fine for email attachments of course but as you have informed me this does me know good on this forum.

How do I somehow save the image I am getting so I can show the message that I keep getting on Avast.  It's very difficult to describe things in words and as you know a pic is worth a 1000 words as they say.

I of course am hoping an image of the error message would help get some help since no one seems to have any answers to my questions to this point.

Thanks  ;)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 03:57:24 AM »
Now back to my error:

Could the error message "Cannot Access the File Because... program cannot set property into Main storage.",

be due to a need for the newest version of Avast needing more contiguous hard drive space available than the previous version, as I am down to around 825-875 mb of free hard drive storage space left on my computer.

Avast was ok on the previous version, but this one get's me the error I mentioned above whenever I launch the Avast Scanner control by right clicking on the Avast ball in the systray and clicking on "Start Avast".

The ERROR message has an "Okay" button I can click and the message goes away but the splash screen remains until I right click on the Avast button in the task bar click on "close".  Then what happens is the Scanner control starts up and starts scanning what Avast "thinks" is memory and won't stop as it continues throught file after file until I manually stop it.  I can then apparently do a computer Virus Scan but I'm not sure how effective this is at this point after all of these errors.

I know this is an re-iteration of what I've posted but as I've gotten no replies which address my error I just keep trying to post the problem and hope someone can help.  This is what I get for installing a new version without first backing up what I had before.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:59:06 AM by lakrsrool »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 04:11:00 AM »
Could the error message "Cannot Access the File Because... program cannot set property into Main storage.",
be due to a need for the newest version of Avast needing more contiguous hard drive space available than the previous version, as I am down to around 825-875 mb of free hard drive storage space left on my computer.
It's very few available space indeed...
But in this message storage, as far I know, refers to internal settings of avast, not free space.

This is what I get for installing a new version without first backing up what I had before.
Lars, the last version works indeed...
Did you try uninstalling, booting, using avast unistall tool, booting, installing again?  ::)