Author Topic: Clarification Please [SQLite splash screen issue]  (Read 12916 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: Clarification Please
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 07:53:41 AM »
Tech wrote:
Did you try uninstalling, booting, using avast unistall tool, booting, installing again?

Okay I give up, I did a search on the Avast web site for "uninstall tool" and I have to say as usual this is well hidden.

So where do I find this elusive "uninstall tool" as you call it ?  ???

I presume when you say "Did you try uninstalling, booting, using avast uninstall tool, booting, installing again?

1) You mean to uninstall using Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel ?  ???
2) Then where ever this "tool" is you refer to when I do find it I use this after the Add/Remove Programs has done it's job.

Will I have issues registering if I do this since I am now register and would be uninstalling and the installing fresh?  ???

I can see myself getting into a whole other can of worms.  :-\

Btw, I remove 1.5 gig of stuff off my hard drive and just as you said this made no difference as far as the error I get when I click on Start Avast Antivirus.

Also I was discribing what happens a little wrong, after I get the error and click on the OK to get rid of the message and the splash screen gets left behind so I close it by right click in the task bar to close it what happens is the Scan Engine appears without the memory scan going.  It's after I get this error once usually when I Start Avast Antivus the next time it then starts without the error usually but the memory scan forever obviously in a wrong manner.  It seems that usually the original error with the message "Cannot Access the File Because... program cannot set property into Main storage." often only happens once after a boot.  And as I said the second try starting the Avast Antivirus it does not have the error but the Memory scan is incorrect.  Once I manually stop the memory scan the Scanning engine launches and appears to work properly.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 07:59:33 AM »
In the "help" on the Avast Scanner I get this:
Q: I can't uninstall avast! What to do now?

A: You can download our uninstall utility called AvClear or AvClear4 (it depends on the version of avast! installed on your computer). More information is available here: http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1337.html.

If I click on the link above I get instructions in a different language:

Odinstalační nástroj pro avast!

V některých případech není možné avast! odinstalovat standardním způsobem, tedy za použití ovládacího panelu PŘIDAT/ODEBRAT PROGRAMY. V takovém případě lze avast! odinstalovat za použití našeho odinstalačního programu aswClear.

Jak odinstalovat avast! za použití nástroje aswClear:

Stáhněte aswClear.exe na vaší pracovní plochu
Spusťte jej
Pokud jste instalovali avast! do jiného než výchozího adresáře, nalistujte jej. (Poznámka: Buďte opatrní! Obsah adresáře, který vyberete, bude smazán!!!
Stiskněte SMAZAT
Restartujte počítač

Any suggestions ?  ??? ::)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 08:06:06 AM »
Okay I figured out that one, it's kind of like taking a test to get help isn't it.  :P

When I click on the link

I get this web page: http://www.avast.com/cze/avast_uninstall_util.html

So all I had to do is change the "cze" presumably for Cheklasovakian web page...

and replace the "cze" with "eng" for would you believe "English" and whala it works.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 08:08:04 AM by lakrsrool »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 03:33:29 PM »
There's a link to switch to English in the upper right corner of the page... don't know why it led you to the Czech version, however, it works normally for me (i.e. the English page links another English page, of course).

Well, there's obviously something wrong with the database on your computer... but we are unable to simulate this problem. The problem with the startup scan may theoretically be related, even though it's not very likely.

You have Windows 98 SE... what language version is it? English?
Where did you install avast? (i.e. what is the full path of your avast! folder)?
Did you install the latest version of avast! from scratch, or did you rather update from on older version?

Thanks.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 07:45:04 AM »
igor wrote:
You have Windows 98 SE... what language version is it? English?
Where did you install avast? (i.e. what is the full path of your avast! folder)?
Did you install the latest version of avast! from scratch, or did you rather update from on older version?

1) English language... Of course you might have figured that from my last post:
So all I had to do is change the "cze"... replace the "cze" with "eng" for would you believe "English"...   ;)
2) Program files\Alwil software\Avast4.... I just let Avast install it where it wanted to.
3) I originally installed Avast 4.6 Not sure which build. I have installed subsequent versions as they were released as Updates to Avast and now have the most current 4.7 build.

Thanks to DavidR's help informing how to attach files I have now attached an image of the error I get. 
To reiterate what I have said before:
This error only shows up the FIRST TIME I launch Avast Scanner (right click on the ball icon in systray and select "Start Avast") AFTER I BOOT MY COMPUTER. The splash screen will stay there after I click on the "Okay" button (see image).  I have to "close" the splash screen by right clicking on the Avast button in the task bar and selecting "close". When I do this the Avast Scanner program control appears as it should but of course as I closed the splash screen there is no memory scan that happens.

The next time I do the above and launch Avast Scanner AND HAVE NOT BOOTED MY COMPUTER (just left it running since the last time I started Avast) the error WILL NOT show up again (image) with the "Okay" button but the splash screen is there like it should be but will start scanning forever. When I manually stop the scan the Avast Scanner program control appears again as it should.

The error message in the image is: "The process cannot Access the File Because... program cannot set property into Main Storage."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 07:59:11 AM by lakrsrool »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 04:20:01 PM »
I guess it won't make any difference, but just for sure: what if you run ashQuick.exe "*STRT-MEM-SHORT" (which should be equivalent to the initial memory scan) - does it scan for long too?

Did you try to uninstall/reinstall avast!?

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 08:03:17 PM »
I'm not sure how I would include the string portion of "ashQuick.exe "*STRT-MEM-SHORT" ". I presume I would run "ashQuick.exe" by clicking on the executible where it is located in the folder.  By doing this I would presume it would then start the exectible program.  Not sure how the string would be entered.

No I have not tried unistalling and installing as yet.  I'm concerned about the program key not working.  If I do this and put in the key that I had before I should not have any problems?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 09:17:07 PM »

No I have not tried unistalling and installing as yet.  I'm concerned about the program key not working.  If I do this and put in the key that I had before I should not have any problems?

No you shouldn't. I've done it before numerous times.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Clarification Please [SQLite splash screen issue]
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 03:54:35 PM »
lakrsrool,

could you please try to update to the latest avast beta, and if the problem reoccurs, send me the latest <avast>\data\log\error.log?

To install the beta, please run the program http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe and follow the on-screen instructions.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 04:04:39 PM »
First of all I'd like to thank everyone for the help.

On Sunday I decided to uninstall and re-install Avast.

I used the Add/Remove programs and then the "Avast uninstall tool" (Clear.exe) Avast removal tool as was suggested by a couple of Avast loggers.

Apparently one of the two methods of removing Avast actually disabled my browser.  I was unable to get any web pages at all to work.

Since I forgot to download the Avast installation I had no choice but to go back to an earlier hard drive image back a month previous which I wanted to avoid doing so that I wouldn't lose a month of work on my computer.  But I had no other choice without a browser working.  I spent most of Sunday getting what I could as far as updates, new dll's etc back on my computer.  So as a result I lost a month of emails etc.  I have set Avast to NOT remind me when updates are available and will wait a few months to see if there are problems in the future.

I'm a little concerned about the Avast uninstall procedures if it disables my browser as a result. I presume it is registry settings that the Avast uninstall is changing that causes this.   The Avast uninstall for WIN98 users should be looked at and tested.  Not a good thing for the uninstall to break the browser, it is possibly the "uninstall tool" that does this, I use IE browser.

There is another thread on this subject, apparently it is impacting WIN98 and ME (basically the same OS).

brrcub wrote:
I installed the beta... I get the same message as before... "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" and below that is states... "Program cannot set property in to main storage"

I have to stop the splash screen with cntrl/alt/delete then the program will open up the scan screen..
how do I send you the log files...

Brrcub has the ME OS and is apparently not getting the message box that I get (error message "Cannot Access the File Because... program cannot set property into Main storage.").  Otherwise it is a similar issue and the beta version has apparently not helped.

I have decided also that it may not be a good idea to install version upgrades on line (using message link or from the upgrade Avast web page). But instead to download the new version installation program and execute the install locally on my computer.  I am thinking that this could reduce risk of problems that could happen by installing on line.  There is enough risk of problems without on version upgrades w/out introducing more possibilities by upgrading on line. (I hope that I can download the version installs).

As far as my computer I have now upgraded and added the database updates to other programs to about everything I had before on Sunday.  For the browser I did the following security updates that I had before:
Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB918439)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB916281)
Security Update for Windows 98 (KB918547)
Security Update for Windows 98 (KB917344)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 for Windows 98 and Windows ME (KB917734)

About the only thing I haven't done yet that I had before is to update the ClamWin Virus database update.  I wondered if possibly the Security updates for windows may have an issue with the new Avast version but as I am using an older Avast version now I guess I won't know since I don't want to spend more time finding out.

I am now using Avast version 4.7.827 without problems.

Again thanks for all the help, I will monitor Avast support to see if this issue gets resolved for WIN98 and ME users.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 04:10:03 PM by lakrsrool »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 04:17:43 PM »
Apparently one of the two methods of removing Avast actually disabled my browser.  I was unable to get any web pages at all to work.

Did you previously (manually) set the proxy in your browser to enabled Web Shield in Win9x? If yes, it's probably necessary to remove it manually again after uninstallation.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 06:40:15 AM »
Yes, you are certainly right.  I had forgotten about that setting needed for WIN9x.   :-\

I am happy to know that the uninstall does not have an issue after all.  :)

Thanks very much for clearing that up.

Brkdnc

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 09:33:15 PM »
I have had the same problem running Win 2K. I tried the repair from add/remove programs I tried everything I read here and nothing worked.

But i uninstalled advast 4.7, I had version 4.5 saved on disk so i reinstalled that and let it do all the updates and the problem has disappeared.

Don't ask me why  ???