Author Topic: networking and help  (Read 6496 times)

dancingbear1564

networking and help
« on: January 01, 2004, 10:26:08 PM »
 I just got Avast! running on my home pc it works great now the problem starts. My note book was networked to my home and now it's not seeing it at all. is it me or do i need to adjust my setting???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:networking and help
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 02:28:06 PM »
You mean your home network is 'down' and you cannot make the computers see each other? What make you think this is related to avast? Do you use a firewall? Which OS are installed in the computers?
The best things in life are free.

dancingbear1564

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 03:23:37 PM »
i'm running XP on both the ics command prompt keeps shutting down. in an interesting turn of events the puters can see each other and exchange info  they just wont share the internet connection. yes i'm using a router it has a hardware firewall (no shutdown) but prior to installing Avast! it was working

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 09:20:25 PM »
Are you using the correct IP address for Internet Connection Sharing. I mean, 192.168.0.1 for the gateway (which connects to the Internet) and 192.168.0.x (where x = 1 to 9) for the other?

The firewall must be well configurated too... Again, I can't see the relationship between a LAN that is down (at least the ICS) and avast  ::)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 12:09:20 PM by Technical »

dancingbear1564

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 11:15:41 PM »
well apparently i'm the proud owner of not one but 2 self repairing computers. shut both down and restarted and now the ics works just fine i appreciate the help but apparently you scared my comps into working again thanks for all the help :o

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 12:00:49 PM »
well apparently i'm the proud owner of not one but 2 self repairing computers. shut both down and restarted and now the ics works just fine i appreciate the help but apparently you scared my comps into working again thanks for all the help :o

Very happy with you...
Can you tell me - I want to learn  ;D - which are your computer IPs? I mean, my first guess was correct or not about this (192.168.0.x)?

dancingbear1564

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 04:51:03 PM »
 ;)well first you get a comp that makes no sense then you threaten it with a large caliber hammer the you re-boot then it works. and yes you were correct but i didn't need to set them they auto p/u the ip's from my isp. and both comp's are working great

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 05:18:18 PM »
Hehe big caliber hammer that reminds me of the car repair technique of James Bond's fellow in Moscow in the Golden Eye movie... ;D

I never thought you could use the same trick for computers, too... :P
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

dancingbear1564

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2004, 05:32:01 PM »
yes i've found that a large caliber hammer will cure most of what ails you. immediately followed by a large dose of duct tape and a little bit of crying usually followed by a trip out on the town to get it fixed gtg thnx