Author Topic: On-Access scanner takes up 99% of my CPU cycles  (Read 2078 times)

H-Man

On-Access scanner takes up 99% of my CPU cycles
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:24:17 AM »
I have been using Avast Home for about a year now and have been very happy with it's performance. (I had been using Norton SystemWorks 2003 previously). A few days ago, I tried re-installing SystemWorks (minus the AV) so I could use some of the other utilities such as Disk Doctor, etc. When I ran DD, it completely froze up my computer. I never even tried any other features and removed SystemWorks using Norton's own application remover and then double checking with Windows add/remove programs. Having had problems in the past with Norton not being completely removed, I also ran a program called symcln.exe that I had downloaded from a friend which removed some registry entries that Norton leaves behind (which prevents their own programs from being reloaded weirdly enough). Anyway, now, when I run the Avast on-access scanner it rapidly consumes all of my CPU cycles, making all other running applications act as if they are not responding (they are but just very slowly, it takes up to 1/2 hour or more to change folders in explorer for instance). It also caused Windows Explorer to terminate due to it's accessing illegal memory locations. I'm using a computer with an athlon 64-55fx processor and 1 GB of memory. What must I do to fix this problem?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: On-Access scanner takes up 99% of my CPU cycles
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 05:50:56 PM »
I removed SystemWorks using Norton's own application remover and then double checking with Windows add/remove programs.
I suppose you should do the opposite: first, Control Panel, then boot and the Symantec tool...

1. Download and save these three files to the Windows desktop:
   a) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/MSIFIX.bat
   b) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe
   c) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SYMMSICLEANUP.reg

2. Run the three files that you just downloaded
   a) On the Windows desktop, double-click the MSIFIX icon.
      Click Run.
      A black window may appear very briefly.
   b) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SymNRT icon.
      Click Run.
      Click Next.
      Click I accept the License Agreement, and click Next.
      Type the letters and numbers that you see in the white box, and then click Next.
      Click Yes or OK at each prompt.
      You may need to click more than once. Your computer may be restarted for you more than once.
      You may be asked to repeat some steps after the computer restarts.
   c) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SYMMSICLEANUP icon.
      Click Run, and then click Yes.
      Click OK.

3. Boot.

You can follow this at any time, even after doing another uninstalling procedures...
The best things in life are free.