Author Topic: couple of questions  (Read 1087 times)

REDACTED

couple of questions
« on: February 28, 2018, 09:15:19 PM »
Hi. Firstly, i have been using avast for a few years without a problem, but i have suddenly discovered for some reason, that if i right click any file or folder to scan, avast does nothing. Any ideas, tips ?

Secondly, and i imagine this is just a marketing ploy to milk customers as usual, but why does Avast feel it neccessary to tell free users that their computers have nasty things on them and full of useless programs/leftovers etcetc, when, in fact, it is lying to get us to buy premium ?
It says things are on my machine that need removed or cleaned up, and after using other reputable programs and deep scan search programs, they all find nothing of the sort, and yet avast claims i have registry entries, bloatware etcetc. This is, as you probably know, false advertising and just plain consumer fraud, no ?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:04:01 PM »
Hi. Firstly, i have been using avast for a few years without a problem, but i have suddenly discovered for some reason, that if i right click any file or folder to scan, avast does nothing. Any ideas, tips ?

There is a bug with the latest version that the notification doesn't appear when a contextual scan has been ran. This bug has been fixed in the latest BETA and should become the stable release soon. For the meantime, if you have the Avast UI opened while running the context scan, it should show.

Secondly, and i imagine this is just a marketing ploy to milk customers as usual, but why does Avast feel it neccessary to tell free users that their computers have nasty things on them and full of useless programs/leftovers etcetc, when, in fact, it is lying to get us to buy premium ?
It says things are on my machine that need removed or cleaned up, and after using other reputable programs and deep scan search programs, they all find nothing of the sort, and yet avast claims i have registry entries, bloatware etcetc. This is, as you probably know, false advertising and just plain consumer fraud, no ?

You can remove Avast Cleanup and any other component from Settings > Components. I wouldn't classify it as false advertising due to the fact there would be files, although, where does it state "nasty"?

There will still be occasional ads on the Free version even if there are low levels of components installed. If you want to disable ads completely, the only way is to purchase a paid version.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

Re: couple of questions
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 01:07:40 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe nasty was too strong a word, lol, but nevertheless, a few examples. When i run a performance check, it says, for example, microsoft one drive is a major "slow my pc down prog", and yet, i don't even have that awful prog installed on any of my ssd or hdds. I also have the same kind of message for powerdvd 11, which was on my pc briefly over 2 years ago, but is no longer anywhere near my pc or in any registry files. Also, it even states powerdvd is in my registry, under the hkey_local machine, and yet, when manually and program searched, nothing to do with powerdvd is found, not even a blank entry. This is why i could not trust to use premium and delete what avast recommends me to, i mean, would it damage my pc and screw up existing progs or not do anything since most things it says it "detects" don't actually exist ? Could this be a bug ? With this doubt, i would be inclined to just keep the so called "broken registry" items and "slow performance progs" to which, it thinks that a prog running at 0.2mb is a resource hog ?!
I've never really trusted any program to tell me what needs to be deleted from a pc, i rather more trust the pc user experience and tech forums for advice and reading, instead of taking things at face value, especially progs that are designed to always, and i mean ALWAYS, persuade users to upgrade and use premium services. I like Avast, and because i have integrity, and the fact i may use out of date software, i could easily use Avast premium for free through the plethora of ways one can nowadays, but i'd rather use the free option and pay if i knew what i was getting was above standard and trustworthy, but that's not going to happen with today's saturated market !