Author Topic: *.vbk files  (Read 13209 times)

hawaaboo

*.vbk files
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:51:13 PM »
Is it possible to exclude *.vbk from being scanned by avast?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: *.vbk files
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:59:34 AM »
First, you should probably tell us what scanning you want to exclude them from; resident protection, on-demand task(s), ...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 08:03:51 AM »
And also, if you're really using ADNM (i.e. the ADNM console) or a regular avast.

Thx
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

hawaaboo

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 01:53:47 AM »
I wanted to exclude them from the mail scanner and I am using ADNM.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 02:44:10 AM »
I wanted to exclude them from the mail scanner and I am using ADNM.
As far I know, mail scanner only allow to exclude 'processes' running and not files themselves.
But, if the vbk files are not executable, are not running, why do you think they're being scanned by the mail scanner?
The best things in life are free.

hawaaboo

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:34:35 PM »
We are using  a software called call pilot for our phone systems that uses vbk files. The call pilot software keeps track of your voice mail and puts it into a mailbox under outlook. Avast will not allow voice messages to be played which are vbk files.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 12:22:05 AM »
The scanning shouldn't affect the subsequent operations with the attachments in any way (unless they're found to be infected, of course).
Can you post some more details about the problem? I mean, what happens when you try to play the voice mail? Does it help if you pause or stop the mail scanner temporarily?

hawaaboo

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 06:39:02 PM »
The voice messages will not play at all. If I stop the mail scanner the voice messages will play. For some reason when the avast mail scanner is on the voice mail messages are only 1kb files. But when I turn off the avast mail scanner the files are back to their normal size 400kb.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 10:20:56 AM »
So, you are basically saying that avast! mail scanner somehow corrupts the files on delivery? Strange...
What e-mail client do you use? Also, are we talking about avast! scanning on the workstations, or rather on a mail server?

Can you somehow save a message delivered with avast! disabled and enabled, so that we can compare the differences?

hawaaboo

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 12:53:59 AM »
I am not saying that avast is corrupting the files. Avast is scanning the files and striping it down to 1kb. I am talking about avast scanning on workstations not a mail server.

One more question how do you make avast stop showing "avast supicous" in the subject line?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 10:17:44 AM »
What e-mail clients do the workstations use?
Can you save a message delivered with avast! mail scanner disabled and enabled, so that we can compare the differences?

Regarding the "avast! suspicious" items - you should configure the e-mail heuristics of the mail scanner (page "Heuristics") not to detect such kind of messages.

hawaaboo

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 11:53:22 PM »
The whole office is using outlook 2003 and we have managed clients (4.6) communicating with the ADMN server (4.6.453). I was wondering if the custom .ini file will solve my problem? Can you exclude things in the custom ini file? Their is no "Heuristics" in the managed version. Is their another way to get rid of the "avast suspicious".

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 09:59:51 AM »
I don't think you can exclude specific files received by e-mail. The main thing, however, is that the scanning should not affect the files in any way, of course.
Can you save a message delivered with avast! mail scanner disabled and enabled, so that we can compare the differences?