Author Topic: On-access settings  (Read 3499 times)

RF

On-access settings
« on: June 08, 2006, 06:56:24 AM »
Running Avast home version 4.7-844 on Windows 98SE.

Problem: I can't get Avast to keep the "High" setting in any on-access category: Internet Mail, Standard Shield, or Web Shield.  On the next reboot they all revert to "Normal".   

How do I fix this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: On-access settings
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 04:02:39 PM »
You have to have changed something in the settings (Customize button)that would correspond to the High setting otherwise it will revert to Normal. My Standard Shield is set to Normal and is a good compromise between protection and performance.

Web Shield, the same applies, mine is set to High as I have the Web Scanning Tab, set to Scan all files, and mine remains on High.

I suggest a brows of the avast help file so you are familiar with the settings and what they do.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 08:00:57 PM »
You have to have changed something in the settings (Customize button)that would correspond to the High setting otherwise it will revert to Normal.
It shouldn't David... I think this happens only when you choose 'Custom' level.
The High level is a default set of options that could be choosen just changing the slider, nothing more...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

RF

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 03:34:16 PM »
I haven't changed anything as far as I know. When you set any of the three categories - web shield, standard shield, internet mail -  to "High", the various user-adjustable settings within them automatically reset themselves to accomodate the High setting. Isn't this correct? The only time I tinker with these is to customize the protection level downward from High.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 03:46:00 PM »
OK try this with win98, ensure you are off-line, change the sensitivity to High click OK, open up the on-access window again and terminate the provider you changed to High and click OK. What we are hoping is the settings are saved as the provider is terminated (this has on occasion not happened when the program is closed when you shut-down win98).

Now re-start the providers you changed and terminated if you are asked to persist the changes select Yes, when the provider is started, hopefully the setting will be at High, not reboot and see if they have survived the reboot.

If that doesn't stick, you could make your changes again and then right click the avast icon select 'Stop On-Access protection' and reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RF

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 03:12:17 AM »
I haven't followed up on your suggestions yet, but out of curiosity, I went in and looked at what settings were checked in each of the three categories - web shield, standard shield, internet mail - when these categories were set to "Normal", which, as I explained, they always default to on every reboot.

I was quite surprised at what I discovered. Every relevant setting within these categories was checked. In other words, the protection level was really "High", but for whatever reason the front panel insists on calling it Normal. So my conclusion is that the protection level is actually maxxed out, but is just mis-labelled.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 04:31:17 AM »
But for whatever reason the front panel insists on calling it Normal. So my conclusion is that the protection level is actually maxxed out, but is just mis-labelled.
When you open the panel again, after booting, the settings are ok or they come back to 'normal' ones? I mean, is the high level persistent?
If not, something is preventing you to save avast settings.
Maybe you can adjust your avast settings, right click the 'a' blue icon and shutdown the providers. Answer 'yes' to persist changes.
Boot and turn on the providers again.
Will the setting be saved by this procedure?
The best things in life are free.

RF

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 03:16:56 AM »
Hello, I'm sorry I haven't posted back but I'm in the process of moving and have had to set this aside for awhile. I will try your procedure and post how it turns out, but it may not be right away.