Author Topic: Vista problem...or Avast?  (Read 3175 times)

LarryMcJ

Vista problem...or Avast?
« on: June 15, 2006, 10:30:13 PM »
Although Avast! Pro installs just fine and resident scanning appears to be functioning, the Vista Security Center still says that Avast! antivirus 4.7.844 [VPS 0624-2} reports that it is turned off.  When I click on "Turn On" it asks me if I want to find another AV program for Vista.  I thought Avast! provided Vista 64-bit functionality?  Any thoughts?  Many thanks.

LarryMcJ
www.wugnet.com

mauserme

Re: Vista problem...or Avast?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 02:01:22 AM »
Hi Larry,

Welcome to the forum.

The security center issue (not correctly reporting the status of your AV) has existed in XP for some time and is not avast! specific.  Hopefully this bug will not be carried over to Vista in its final version.

If your a-icon in the system tray does not have a red x through it you should be OK.

M

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 03:53:57 AM »
LarryMcJ, last time I've installed Vista Beta (last release of some days ago), avast was detected and Security Center informed correctly its version and virus database version... Did you try any other antivirus before avast? Did you try to stop and start again the Security Center service?
The best things in life are free.

LarryMcJ

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 04:42:50 AM »
My "a" icon in the tray doesn't have a red X through it, and avast! on-screen scanner reports 7 or 7 providers running, so I think I'm covered...but the Security Center just doesn't believe it.

I have tried three other AV programs that were "supposed" to be vista beta friendly, and even recommended by Microsoft...but they each had their problems.  In all fairness, I suspect CA's eTrust was also work, as it's problem was the same...no report of running protection from the Security Center.

I rebooted many times since uninstalling the other apps, so the Security Center service should have been restarted with them...but I'll still go try it manually and see what happens. 

Many thanks to you both!

LarryMcj

LarryMcJ

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 04:48:47 AM »
Here might be the problem...even after restarting the Security Center service, it reports the following when I try to turn on the AV notification:  "avast! 4.7.844 [VPS 0624-2] does not yet support this function." 

I'm sure I'm fine like this...but avast!, if they monitor these forums, might want to look into fixing this, or at least letting folks know to disregard the erroneous report from the Security Center, or turn the "No AV" notification off, which is what I've done.

LarryMcJ
Vista CP build 5384

mauserme

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 05:57:47 AM »
Are you saying Vista can tell the AV name and version but can't tell if its running?

LarryMcJ

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 06:16:24 AM »
It would appear that's the case. 

Larry

mauserme

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 01:49:51 PM »
Well, that's a little different that the XP problem in that, when it occurs, XP doesn't even recognize that an AV is present.   Still, not terribly surprising IMO.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 01:56:29 PM by mauserme »