Author Topic: Yellow exclamation mark over windows network connection  (Read 4315 times)

REDACTED

Yellow exclamation mark over windows network connection
« on: March 08, 2018, 02:53:29 PM »
I am having issues with windows computers showing yellow exclamation mark over network connection and windows stating no network connection.  The workstations have network connection, I am able to ping local and public hosts, dns query's and browse web pages.  Quit a few things in windows happens in this state not serious but annoying.  The only way I have been able to fix this is by disabling all Avast protection shields for 10 min.  Next I disable the network adapter, then I enable the network adapter and finally enable all Avast shields. Promto would you no that the yellow exclamation mark disappears and all is well.  Before I realize this fix I had tried uninstalling, installing, restarting etc. with no effort.  The problem is that this is not a permanent fix.  The yellow exclamation mark comes back after a few days or weeks. Lately this has been extremely annoying because we have users copying text on webpages and pasting into Microsoft Word and then Word will hang for 2-6 minutes.  When I apply the exclamation mark fix all is good and users are able to copy many pages of text without Word freezing.  I am sure this is a issue with one of the Avast shields but not sure which.
We are 99% running windows 10 Os
We have around 170 client machines and 30 windows servers.
We are using Avast AEA console for management and deployment.
Avast info:
avast! Endpoint Protection: 8.0.1609 (Oct 27, 2016)
Virus database: 180307-6 (Mar 07, 2018)
AEA console: Apr2016 (8.0.405)

This problem is not new has been bugging us for a few years now but I have not found any promising solution in the Avast forums.
CAN some one please help us ASAP.

Regard,  John V. Yeoman

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Yellow exclamation mark over windows network connection
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 05:53:43 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 01:21:14 AM »
Update, I have contated support.  They have not advised anything I have not tryied already.
I did find a post in the forum regarding modifying Web shield, main settings and check "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" This seem to work because currently no clients are showing exlamation mark on network anymore.  My main concern now if this setting is safe to use. Still waiting on further instructions from support.

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 06:03:54 PM »
Try the following:

1. Open Registry Editor.
2. Naviagate to: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentCotrolSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
3. Note the addresses of "ActiveDnsProbeHost", "ActiveWebProbeHost" and "ActiveWebProbePath"
4. Add the "ActiveDnsProbeHost" value in the Avast Global Exlusions e.g. dns.msftncsi.com
5. Add the http://"ActiveWebProbeHost"/"ActiveWebProbePath" values in the Avast Global Exlusions e.g. http://www.msftconnecttest.com/connecttest.txt