Author Topic: Avast! Passwords - Master Password issue (Windows) RESOLVED!  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Insomnimatic

• Beta Tester
  • Musician, Programmer, Beginner Electronic Designer
    • My Original Music
Avast! Passwords - Master Password issue (Windows) RESOLVED!
« on: March 07, 2018, 01:39:15 AM »
Hello, I've recently started using the Password Management tool provided by Avast! Anti-Virus. I set up a master password through the PC version so I could have the ability to sync my account data to other devices that I own. I set up Passwords on my phone (Android) and after verifying my phone for Passwords use, everything worked fine. I used the master password on both platforms and I've had no issue until today.

Issues: I am no longer able to access Passwords or use the Passwords Plugin for my web browsers on the PC Version. I am entering the correct master password and it's no longer authenticated.

Note: I am still able to access all of my Passwords data from the Mobile Version using the master password.

Device changes prior to this bug happening (PC and Mobile changes):

PC:
  • Uninstalled multiple programs from PC that I no longer use.
  • Changed some Windows settings (Display, Power, Notifications, Etc...).
  • Performed updates to multiple programs and tools.
  • De-fragmented my HDD, Performed a cleanup and a Disk Check.
  • Performed a Smart Scan.

Mobile:
  • Installed, activated and used the Avast! Passwords App on my Android device.
  • Purchased a year subscription to Avast! Mobile Security.
  • Updated App Permissions.

Failed Resolution Attempts:

• Tried updating the Avast! program and restarting my PC.
  • Tried syncing the data from the Passwords Mobile App in case master password was included.
  • Tried changing master password through the Passwords Mobile App, syncing and trying the new master password on the PC version.
  • Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Passwords component: Avast! user interface > Settings > Components Tab > Under the "Privacy" section, I revealed the "Uninstall Component" link from the drop-down option and uninstalled the component. I restarted my PC and used the same directory to reinstall the component.

I currently am unable to sync Passwords data to my PC. In the Passwords settings tab (Avast! User Interface > Settings > Passwords Tab), everything is grayed out and I am unable to change anything.

I have most of my account data backed up with a secondary program, which stores data locally, and I keep a second copy on a flash drive in case of a failure. I'm not too worried about my account data because I have backups, but this is honestly unacceptable. If someone were to rely completely on Avast! Passwords (Which I'm sure some people probably do and you guys should really get some backups created, in case this happens to you), they either will have a hard time getting their data back, possibly not all their data back or their data would be 100% lost due to this bug.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:28:00 AM by Donald105 »
Unofficial Certified Trash

Offline Insomnimatic

• Beta Tester
    • My Original Music
Re: Avast! Passwords - Master Password issue (Windows)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:59:05 AM »
I'm still currently trying to figure out a solution to this problem but here are some more steps I took to try to resolve it:

I tried the "Backup Identity" email to gain access to my vault. I opened the link and it opened a new window in the Avast! User Interface. I tried to use my original vault password (I created this password yesterday so I know it's the correct one), but it kept just turning the password border red. I tried variations of my original password that I could have mistakenly used (which is extremely unlikely) but got the same result.

One thing I did notice, when I used the correct original password, the window would flash information on the screen for less than a second and go right back to the password page with a red border around the password field. I was able to capture a screenshot just as the screen changed pages and saved the image posted below. It seems to be a false? authorization.

Here's the red bordered password for reference:

I was not able to access my vault with this method. It looks like it's leaning more and more towards a bug in the program vs. a user error (Whether that be remembering the correct password or an action performed).

My guesses so far on what is happening would be:

• The Master Password is getting encrypted for authorization differently, for some reason. It could even have extra data added when getting encrypted due to a bug in the code. This means when it's checked against the Master Password that's stored, it isn't the same string anymore causing a fake authorization error.

• The information isn't even getting sent to the server or is being blocked (Firewall or similar program) causing an error that won't allow authorization.

Actually, I might check to see if the data is getting sent out. Wireshark should work on testing that, if anyone wants to check for themselves with this or any network issue.

I am still able to access the vault from my mobile device so corruption on the server side / any issue on the server side is pretty much excluded from being the issue.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a solution and post it for anyone else experiencing this issue. I have a few more ideas on how to fix it from a users end but I have to look into a few things, first.

Offline Insomnimatic

• Beta Tester
    • My Original Music
Re: Avast! Passwords - Master Password issue (Windows) RESOLVED!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:42:48 AM »
Alright, so I figured out a solution to this problem. I hope this helps every other person who is experiencing this issue.

Please, follow these steps as they are numbered. This is the exact method I used:

Edit: Please make sure you have a secondary device that is authorized for Passwords.

• Uninstall the Passwords Component by opening the Avast UI > Open Settings > Go to the "Components" tab > Use the drop down arrow on "Passwords" to reveal the uninstall link.
  • Using a secondary device that is already authorized to sync with Passwords, remove your PC from the vault.
  • Restart your PC
  • Open Avast and install the Passwords Component using the same path we used to uninstall it.
  • Restart your PC
  • You should now be able to access the vault but you're not synced even though you can still press the "sync now" button.
  • Navigate to Avast! UI > Settings > Passwords tab and create a backup .cvs file by scrolling down to the end of the page. This is to be on the safe side in case your secondary device was not up to date.
  • On the same page, scroll back up and press the "Turn off synchronization" button. Once it is finished, you can synchronize your PC again and authorize it with your secondary device
  • Synchronize your passwords and you're all done!
    • Feel the weight of the stress leave your body.

I'm sure there's a bug within the Passwords component that needs to be addressed.

Hopefully this helped!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:03:55 PM by Donald105 »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »
I am also having same problem, and getting more stuck each time I try to solve it following suggestions of this message.
I have two computers each running Premier version and linked to the same account. I use Chrome at both computers. There is a third computer running Avast free. I also got an android cellular phone running Avast Passwords.
At one time, Passwords at one computer was not accepting Main Password, but it was working at the rest of the devices  :-\
Following bellow instructions I have uninstall Passwords at that computer.
Stop synchroninzing with any other device at the computer that was running ok
Reboot computer that was having problem and Reinstall passwords. But the computer was againg asking for Main Password.
And again and again
I am thinking in desinstalling the whole Avast from all my devices, and reinstall

Offline Insomnimatic

• Beta Tester
    • My Original Music
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »
You also have to deauthorize it from the vault once you uninstall.