Author Topic: Avast Passwords Chrome Extension Wordpress Menus Backend Conflict  (Read 5323 times)

REDACTED

When attempting to use the menus page in the backend of Wordpress (typically located at https://www.mywebsite.com/wp-admin/nav-menus.php, the page becomes frozen or so slow that making changes to menus is not possible. Other backend pages of Wordpress do not appear to be affected. Disabling the Avast Passwords extension in the Chrome browser allows the menus page to return to normal. Same problem occurs when managing this page on different Wordpress driven websites.

Any suggestions? Can devs look in to this?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 06:08:32 AM by parrish.design »

Offline Insomnimatic

• Beta Tester
  • Musician, Programmer, Beginner Electronic Designer
    • My Original Music
Re: Avast Passwords Chrome Extension Wordpress Menus Backend Conflict
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 11:54:48 AM »
Sounds like the Passwords extension might see some sort of login field(s) or input(s) it can use with WordPresses' overlay / UI. It could be pulled input fields can/ hidden. It probably isn't able to apply the info (whether it is a username and password or to generate a password) so it gets stuck in a loop which slows performance and uses most resourses of the browser. Just a guess.
Unofficial Certified Trash

Offline Insomnimatic

• Beta Tester
  • Musician, Programmer, Beginner Electronic Designer
    • My Original Music
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:56:44 AM »
If you can disable the extension by URL, add WordPress to that list.
Unofficial Certified Trash

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 06:31:00 AM »
Donald105,
Thanks for your suggestion. I gave your recommendation a try by attempting to add the functionality of disabling the extension by url using the Extension Automation extension to Chrome. I confirmed that I had a properly applied filter to disable Avast Passwords for the Wordpress site I was working on. But it had no effect. The Avast Passwords Extension still seemed to be enabled for the site, and disabling it all together was (as has been the case) the only way to get the menus page functioning again.

Is this forum only a "users helping users" situation? Is there somewhere else I should be making a bug report? If my assumption is correct: that this will effect all Wordpress installations, then we're talking about 30% of all websites world wide. Seems like fixing this bug might be important?

Nevertheless, your suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 07:47:43 AM »
Asyn, thank you but I don't see anything in that post that fits my symptoms other than it is Wordpress related. I don't have cloudflare nor CAPTCHA plugin, and the issue only happens on the menus page on the backend of the Wordpress CMS.

Just a bit ago, I did find a workaround based on Donald105's original suggestion. While Extension Automation did not work, I found a link in a review of this extension that gave a mod which works properly (disables Avast Passwords per url). Ideally, I don't want to be creating filters for every Wordpress site I manage. But at least this may help others while waiting for a true fix. I still think that has to come from Avast devs though.

So if you find Extension Automation does not work, you could try the mod here: https://github.com/Venryx/extension-disabler

The review where I found this link was here:https://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/20/enable-or-disable-chrome-extensions-for-specific-websites/

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 07:52:36 AM »
NP and thanks for the feedback.
Do you run a paid version of Avast or the free one..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 07:55:17 AM »
Free one. :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 07:57:43 AM »
Free one. :)
OK, you can submit a bug report in "About Avast".

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 08:12:13 AM »
Das ist im German, nine? :) Attached is what it looks like for me in English.

Thank you for the information about how to submit a bug reoprt. I will report the bug in the morning.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 08:21:40 AM »
Das ist im German, nine? :) Attached is what it looks like for me in English.
Yep. Sorry, only had the German screenshot at hand. ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 08:36:18 AM »
No problem! I was just playing with you. I appreciate your help!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 08:39:24 AM »
You're welcome.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 05:09:53 PM »
Bug reported.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 11:03:08 PM »
This is just a follow up. I don't want this to seem like a complaint because I don't feel that would be fair since I'm using the free version. So this in meant to be feedback:

As I do a lot of web development using Wordpress and am often on the menu page in the backend of a number of WP sites, it has become too impractical for me to disable Avast Passwords and then manually enter my login information ( I am easily needing to do this twenty times a day ). So I've opted not to use Avast Passwords until this issue can be fixed. It would be great to get notified if that happens. Thanks.