Author Topic: Avast Mobile Security doesn't scan Chrome when updating?  (Read 2914 times)

REDACTED

Avast Mobile Security doesn't scan Chrome when updating?
« on: February 01, 2018, 05:27:36 PM »
Hello,

My first modest post - needs help!

I have two questions, one in regards to the customary scan that AMS does when updating apps and also the schedule scan.

My Avast Mobile Security (current version 6.9.2) stopped scanning Chrome when it updates. Is this normal?
I know it scanned Chrome updates before and last time from my log is in nov 2017. After this date it just oddly stopped.
For example, today Chrome updated along with other apps but Chrome and also the app that came after in order did not get scanned.

Is it possible that Chrome is infected?

Anyone else who experiences the same thing?

About the schedule scan, it sometimes doesn't start. Not a big problem as it often works but I wonder if this is a common problem?
I read that it was common problem among PC users back in 2016 and was referred to as a bug.

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast Mobile Security doesn't scan Chrome when updating?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:00:53 PM »
Hi, thanks for reporting this strange problem.
Please try the following:

- go to Avast Antivirus > Settings > Protection > make sure the "App Install Shield" is on

We also recommend to enable the notification in

- Avast Antivirus > Settings > Notifications & alerts > Realtime protection > turn the "App Install Shield notification" on

Then the app should notify you after the Chrome update.

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 10:17:31 PM »
To your other problem, if you have Android 6 or higher, it will probably be related to the "Doze mode" - if you don't use your device for a certain period of time, it puts all apps to sleep. Such apps can do no operations in this mode, which means the Avast Antivirus cannot do the scheduled scan. But the scan should take place after you unlock your device and "wake them up".

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:56:47 PM »
Thanks for your reply!

Both options/suggestions that you refer to where already active. Avast scans all other apps during/after they updates. I always get alerts/notifications for each app after an update, telling me it's safe. However, since November 2017, Avast Mobile Security skips scanning the Chrome app after an update.

Is it possible for you to test this?

I use Android 8.0 and the "Doze mode" makes sense and could possibly be it, in regards to the schedule scan not starting.

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 10:23:02 PM »
Hi, we have checked and everything should work OK, including the Chrome scan. Can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the app?

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 07:42:03 PM »
Hi,

It has been awhile and finally there was an update for Chrome, March 13, 2018.

I did as suggested with the uninstall and reinstall of AMS with the "proper" settings.
Seemingly it did not fix the problem.

When Chrome updates it kills Avast Mobile Security (running in the background) and no scan of Chrome, lacking an App Shield notification.
AMS activates again when the update has finished.

I removed the Chrome updates by inactivating the Chrome app and did the update again but same thing happens.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:25:14 PM by mhs173 »

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 07:04:34 PM »
Ok, thanks for the update, our QA will check it again.
Can you please specify what type of device and Android version you are using, or if your ROM has been modified in any way? Thanks!

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 01:46:59 AM »
Ok, great!

This regards the device Sony Mobile Xperia XZs with Android 8.0 (Oreo).
I have not modified any ROM.

With such behavior as explained in previous entries, is it likely or possible that the device and the Chrome app has been compromised, hijacked or hacked with malware?  :-[

Offline Tomas F.

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 01:41:51 PM »
Hi!

Do not worry, if app is compromised, Avast Mobile Security would certainly warn you with pop-up dialog. Notification about installed/updated application is displayed only for the last app that was scanned. For example, when you update 10 applications and then check notifications, there will be just notification about the last updated app. It is precaution not to spam users with multiple notifications as apps are being updated usually in bulk.

Sadly, we were not able to reproduce the issue.

Regarding the killing of our application when Chrome is updated. It is expected behavior as we are using WebView (as majority of applications), which is being updated with Chrome. Do not worry, Avast will start right away.

Tomas (QA)

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 04:10:50 AM »
Hi Tomas,

Thanks for the reply.

I've set it to manually update the apps instead of bulk updates. Avast Mobile Security scans each and everyone I have (not that many really) except Chrome. Though before november last year, when updating Chrome then Avast Mobile Security wasn't killed and did scan every Chrome update. Also when done with the scan giving me an App Shield notification. But since then it has stopped.

However I checked with another device (Samsung Galaxy S8) the other day, also set to manually updating apps. When updating Chrome the same behavior occurred. This kind of convinced me that it was normal.

To summarize, I'm not worried anymore due to your reply and the double check I made yesterday.

I'm still curious why it scanned Chrome before but has stopped now (by stopped I mean getting killed during the update and atumatically starts when it's done, wich I already knew/noticed). I mean you've must have been using WebView back then also right?