Author Topic: You blew it (BSOD with FLTMGR.SYS in latest update - XP x64)  (Read 4341 times)

REDACTED

You blew it (BSOD with FLTMGR.SYS in latest update - XP x64)
« on: March 14, 2018, 03:43:39 AM »
The latest update causes a BSOD in XP x64 SP2.

Is there any plan to fix this?

If not I'll have to go to NOD32 which still has support for XP x64.

Thanks

REDACTED

Re: You blew it (BSOD with FLTMGR.SYS in latest update - XP x64)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »
The latest update causes a BSOD in XP x64 SP2.

Is there any plan to fix this?

If not I'll have to go to NOD32 which still has support for XP x64.

Thanks

I have exactly the same issue with the latest update causing fltmgr.sys BSOD in XP x64 SP2.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 05:21:25 PM »
BUMP!

Any update please?  I don't want to leave my PC without AV.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:39:12 PM »
I believe the latest version of avast from 18.x.xxxx or later, Windows XP 64bit is no longer compatible.

I say this from what I have seen in some topics, which generally revolves around the requirement for XP SP3.

Now I know the 64 bit version of XP only goes up to SP2.  What I don't know is if this is just some sort of checking for SP3 (and failing) or the 64 bit version being based on a server OS and no longer compatible.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 06:18:20 PM »
I believe the latest version of avast from 18.x.xxxx or later, Windows XP 64bit is no longer compatible.

I say this from what I have seen in some topics, which generally revolves around the requirement for XP SP3.

Now I know the 64 bit version of XP only goes up to SP2.  What I don't know is if this is just some sort of checking for SP3 (and failing) or the 64 bit version being based on a server OS and no longer compatible.
Such a pity.

I remember you from my old thread:

Avast! latest version works very well in Windows Xp sp3.https://www.avast.com/windows-xp-antivirus
So why Avast!4.8? :-\
No, it doesn't: constant system freezes during boot, severe bloating, even occasional crashes and BSOD (but you can fix that by adding the respective files to the list of exclusions).
<snip>

No problem with avast 12.3.2280 on this XP Pro SP3 system.

Severe bloat, again not on my system with a minimal function custom install.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:18:07 PM »

Such a pity.
<snip>

Unfortunately old OSes will drop off the supported OSes, though it just seems strange if XP 64bit has dropped off the supported OSes when it is technically younger than XP 32bit.

I have reported this topic in the hope of getting some confirmation on this from Avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 11:22:41 PM »

Unfortunately old OSes will drop off the supported OSes, though it just seems strange if XP 64bit has dropped off the supported OSes when it is technically younger than XP 32bit.

I have reported this topic in the hope of getting some confirmation on this from Avast.
Yes, and why force the upgrade on me if the previous version was stable and would still be receiving definitions updates?

The thing is I don't even know what the last version was.

Can someone from the Avast team come on here and tell me which program update was pushed two days ago so I might know what is the last stable version on XP x64 please?

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 04:07:24 AM »
Is uninstalling Avast in Safe Mode going to resolve the fltmgr.sys BSOD since it is not possible to boot properly to XP x64 SP2 now?

Any other free antivirus that will run in XP x64 SP2 or just have to run Windows without any protection?

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 05:03:33 AM »
Is uninstalling Avast in Safe Mode going to resolve the fltmgr.sys BSOD since it is not possible to boot properly to XP x64 SP2 now?

Any other free antivirus that will run in XP x64 SP2 or just have to run Windows without any protection?
Yes, uninstall in safe mode, reboot back into safe mode, run avastclear.exe.

Nod32 Version 3 still works well.

The latest version is 3.0.695.0.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 08:00:17 PM »
Since all XP 64 bit by default are "Enterprise", and such are supported through 2019......this whole thing is stupid.
I have two XP-64 bit machines here, a week or so ago  machine one did this....took five hours, and it's fixed. This machine did it on reboot a week later, and 20 minutes to fix.

First off, we didn't have to reboot on Avast updates before....and now we do....and for a machine I keep on all the time, it's a pain...especially with the little window that tells me it will force a reboot in 10 minutes. Fix it.

msconfig, services, check hide all MS products, disable the rest, and it will work. You can go and turn things on one at a time, but Avast will kill it again....and a remove and update seems to fix it, as both machines are running on Avast right now...and updating.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 01:48:35 AM »
thank god i found this page! Got a computer i rarely connect to internet....had to today to install .net 64, and i figured that had done it! so uninstalled that, didn't fix so i spent last six or seven hours faffing with it/ uninstalling graphic drivers and all sorts, so will be up next few hours putting everything back! :-( sure avast pulled this kind of cra* on me few years back and caused similar problems...never gone use avast again! anybody suggest an alternative? hard to find a good free one these days but there's no way I'm risking this again, you lost me for life!

Didn't even know avast had updated! but this has fixed it uninstalling that :-( if only i realised hours ago

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 03:49:55 AM »
anybody suggest an alternative? hard to find a good free one these days but there's no way I'm risking this again, you lost me for life!
I have been running Symantec Endpoint Manager since my last thread, my advice is to avoid it.

It's not very customizable and it is full of bloat and causes unacceptably frustrating slowdowns at times (i.e. when a USB stick is inserted or when it sees a file it doesn't like)...  It is probably the last remaining free option for XP x64.

Today I removed Symantec (a chore in itself...  had to run their wipeclean utility after uninstalling as well as had to manually remove registry entries) and I installed NOD32 8.0.319.0...  There are two iterations of NOD32, just plain old NOD32 and then there's ESET's security centre or whatever it's called...  You want just plain old NOD32.

I bought a license for it off eBay ($10 for 3 years) and so far it looks like it's a keeper.  I'd strongly suggest using no version later than 8.0.319.0.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 03:56:23 AM »
You know a bit of help on mine would be greatly appreciated