Author Topic: Avast on Domain Controller  (Read 2608 times)

REDACTED

Avast on Domain Controller
« on: March 14, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »

I replaced AVG with Avast Business Antivirus on our domain controller (Win Server 2012R2) Monday. I came in today - two days later and everything had stopped working. Well; name resolution and logging in. I know it started around 8pm last night. In the end I rebooted the DC and everything started working.

Changing the AV was the only new thing in quite a while. So I guess my question is are there any special considerations for installing Avast Business Antivirus on DCs, or should I be installing there at all?

Thanks

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Avast on Domain Controller
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 04:43:55 PM »
Consideration would be to not run the firewall if you are using a version with the firewall, but the AV engine itself should not be an issue. Its running on many of our user's DCs
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

REDACTED

Re: Avast on Domain Controller
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:22:35 PM »
Consideration would be to not run the firewall if you are using a version with the firewall, but the AV engine itself should not be an issue. Its running on many of our user's DCs

Thanks, but it looks like the Firewall did not install when I installed it on two Windows Server 2012 R2 servers the firewall component was not listed as an install-able option. When I open the UI and look at the settings for Components its not listed and the Windows firewall is still active.