Author Topic: Clean-up "gun shy"  (Read 1378 times)

REDACTED

Clean-up "gun shy"
« on: March 15, 2018, 08:11:36 PM »
I am a long time user and believer in Avast products. Of course, like many, my favorite is Avast Free Anti-Virus. It's one of the best. Originally, when I first started using it ,
it had almost NO pop ups and no adds ( It was heaven). As free products go...you have to earn money..I understand. Recently, like in the past 4 weeks, I have decided to try and yes, even purchase , the cleaning module from Avast. After several usages on my main PC, I started noticing that certain Icons would wind up missing..,.oh well, maybe it was just my bad. After buying the software and running the full program, it displayed that it could free up 11 GB of space...why not! The next day, while locking for some medical documents that I store in a desktop folder.....Yikes! almost all of my desktop folders were EMPTY....I was shocked. I uninstalled clean-up and reformatted my hard drive and re-installed my OS. Scared the h*ll out of me. This morning my wife woke my up with comforting words..." my computer has lost my important files..."Of course, my response was "what did you do?" She said she ran something that Avast was suggesting and it changed her computer drastically. Oh no, another victim of that darn clean-up
program. I am now reformatting and reinstalling her OS. I am still an ardent believer in Avast, although my wife's confidence has waned considerably. She's now totally "gun shy" about anything Avast. I love their VPN module, I absolutely swear by their online security extension add-on. Their boot scan is one of the greatest security back-up plans around. But, for now, I am reluctantly laying down and not touching the clean up module again. TOO risky!

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: Clean-up "gun shy"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:56:17 AM »
Hi James,

we really apologize for the inconveniences caused by our product since this is definitely not the intended behavior!

I am not sure whether you already made the reformatting on your wife's computer but if not we would appreciate the log files from it to be able to investigate what happened there.
The product is designed in a way it shall not touch the user data at all. It searches and cleans only unnecessary files made by Windows and other programs so according to what you described it seems that somehow it got crazy and we would really want to know why so we can fix that and avoid such situations in the future.

Best regards.