Author Topic: Incoming 'clean' messages  (Read 4847 times)

jedakay

Incoming 'clean' messages
« on: June 18, 2006, 02:36:31 AM »
Am a relatively new Avast user and discovered a thread from last year begun by ‘nowvoyager’ on July 10 regarding “clean incoming e-mails no longer have the inserted notes” within the message body of an e-mail.  After reading and re-reading all the messages in the thread I am still uncertain I understand it all and so would like to ask, are the inserted ‘incoming clean’ notes not possible when receiving mail from Yahoo’s regular mail program?  Seems like I get that insertion on all other e-mails I receive except those sent through Yahoo, however there’s a status report from Avast at the end of the extended header in those!  I’m still using WIN98 (It works!), the latest version of AVAST HOME EDITION, a web mail program from a local ISP which is being handled through THUNDERBIRD; everything’s working fine except for no ‘incoming clean’ messages within the message body with mail received from Yahoo.  Can someone comment, please?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Incoming 'clean' messages
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 05:34:33 AM »
The information you have given us is a little lacking in specifics. 

However it seems that you are in Texas (and the one I know best is part of the US). From that I shall assume that you are using Yahoo.com.  To the best of my knowledge there are two ways to download mail from Yahoo.com to Thunderbird:

1) you pay for POP3 access.  If you were getting straightforward POP3 access then avast would almost certainly add the "clean" message by default.
2) you use a third party program (like YPops, FreePops, MrPostman) or the Thunderbird  Webmail extensions.  These all provide conversion from web mail to POP3 in a way that can be accepted by mail clients like Thunderbird.  The default configuration of avast will never scan or add the clean messages for this type of connection.   

Try one step that may simply take care of it all. 

In the Internet Mail scanner:

Select "Customize"  > Redirect tab > Uncheck "Ignore local communication" > "OK"

This will work immediately if the POP3 port set up for your Yahoo account in Thunderbird is 110.  If it is not then please let us know what POP3 port is selected for the Yahoo account.

jedakay

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 01:38:13 PM »
I guess I didn’t make myself clear enough, as you said.  My e-mail service is by esagelink.com, a local ISP (POP3, SMTP) and is being handled through Thunderbird 1. 05. 04 just fine; meaning every mail in or out has the ‘clean’ notice in the message body except for when I receive mail from someone at Yahoo, then there’s no notice in the message body only a footnote at the end of the extended header for that piece of mail.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 03:40:48 PM »
Then there’s no notice in the message body only a footnote at the end of the extended header for that piece of mail.
Should be enough to see if the email is being scanner. More, this method is more secure than the footnote added.
Anyway, the problem could be at yahoo mail, that could have a piece of mail in HTML and other in TXT.

About the clean notes into the message body, can you try 'Settings' on my signature?
Maybe, just maybe, the UseAlternateRtfSyncing value under [MailScanner] section could do the trick here too...

Another mechanism for inserting notes into the body of emails in Microsoft Outlook. RtfSyncing is concerned with Rich Text Format. In emails, the user typically save both Rich text (HTML) and plain form of message. When you modify one type of message, RTFSync is the right function to synchronize text of message to the second form. Disable = 0.
See screenshot of settings here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9514
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 12:53:20 AM »
jedakay,

I am sorry that I misunderstood your original problem description.

Yahoo offers its users a choice in how to create mail messages.

1)create all messages in plain text with the default Yahoo chosen font
2)turn on 'color and graphics' that allows choice of font, colors, emoticons, text formatting etc.

No surprise that many users opt for choice 2. 

Users who use the default choice (1) have messages sent out that avast has no trouble adding the "clean" message to and it is always displayed in these Yahoo messages when received in Thunderbird.

When a Yahoo user selects option (2) and creates a straightforward message then Yahoo sends the message out containing two different versions of the message. This is to allow for someone who might still be using an old mail client that cannot deal with the rich text formatting or users who simply choose in their mail client to view plain text only. 

Yahoo sends these message as 'multipart/alternative'.  That simply means that the message contains two body parts and they are alternatives for the mail client to display.  One part is the message in plain text - and avast can easily add the 'clean' message to that part.  In Thunderbird you can see this by displaying the message  then go to "View" > Original message body as > Plain text.

The default in Thunderbird is to display the message in the rich text format which is  really the message turned into a web page so that all the formatting, colors, fonts emoticons etc can be rendered.  It would be very complex for avast to add the 'clean' message to this web page.  It would need to completely decode the html and then rebuild it to add the 'clean' message in a way that did not disrupt the way the message was intended by the sender. 

Because Yahoo creates the message as multipart/alternative it means there are just two body parts - avast cannot add another body part without completely rebuilding the mail message from scratch.

You may notice that, if your Yahoo correspondent sends you a message with an attachment (such as a picture), then Yahoo has to create a more complex message that is not limited to two body parts.  In this case avast is able to add an extra body part containing the 'clean' text and it is displayed by Thunderbird at the end of the other message parts.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 12:55:48 AM by alanrf »

jedakay

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:20:23 PM »
Thank you very much for the explanation!  I sort of figured out part of it because I did discover that by switching to read in ‘plain text’ the ‘incoming clean’ message would be displayed.  Still, I appreciate your effort in educating me about Yahoo mail.