Author Topic: Avast Antispam does not work in Outlook 2010  (Read 2534 times)

REDACTED

Avast Antispam does not work in Outlook 2010
« on: March 18, 2018, 08:34:37 PM »
First of all, I am using Avast Internet Security Version 18.2.2328 (build 18.2.3827.306) on my Windows 10 Home 64-bit edition computer.

Now for the issue, I cannot get the Avast Antispam to work in my copy of Outlook 2010. It shows up nicely in the copy of Outlook in my Wife's account, but not in the copy of Outlook in my account. When I look at her addins, it is referencing a file "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\asOutExt.dll". I have tried to open (add) this file into my Outlook's addin section and it will not do so. All I can get are the ones shown in my attached jpg file. My Wife has all these plus the Avast Antispam Add-In.

I have tried all sorts of things, including thinking of modifying my registry, but I know better than to do so.

Any idea what the problem is?  :o

Offline HK

• Avast team
Re: Avast Antispam does not work in Outlook 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:32:58 PM »
Hi aznetcowboy,

Antispam feature is not installed by default. Did you install it manually?

Best regards
HK

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
Hi aznetcowboy,

Antispam feature is not installed by default. Did you install it manually?

Best regards
HK

I sure did. And just to be safe, I uninstalled it, rebooted, re-installed it and rebooted again. And nothing is any different than before.

Offline HK

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 05:05:21 PM »
That is strange because reinstallation of avast will always add avast add-in back to the list of active add-ins. Did you try to reinstall outlook?

Regards
HK

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 06:48:51 PM »
No, I have not nor even considered reinstalling Outlook 2010 as we have had it since it first came out and I am concerned about what might happen doing a reinstall of it.

I sure don't want to install the current iteration of Outlook with their $99/annual fee for using it. If I ever need to replace Outlook 2010 with the new Outlook, I'll go to something else like Thunderbird or Intellect.  ;)

But, I suppose if there is no other option, I just might give reinstalling Outlook 2010 and hope for the best.

Offline WSLUser

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 07:55:07 PM »
No, I have not nor even considered reinstalling Outlook 2010 as we have had it since it first came out and I am concerned about what might happen doing a reinstall of it.

I sure don't want to install the current iteration of Outlook with their $99/annual fee for using it. If I ever need to replace Outlook 2010 with the new Outlook, I'll go to something else like Thunderbird or Intellect.  ;)

But, I suppose if there is no other option, I just might give reinstalling Outlook 2010 and hope for the best.

Re-installing Outlook 2010 won't cause issues as long as you know your license number in case you're prompted for it. On the other hand, you're running way out of date Office. If you want to go open-source with your office suite, go with LibreOffice (will require Linux). If you want to stick with Windows, upgrade to Office365. You have no idea how superior 2016 is to 2010 and the integration with the OS is much, much better than in previous versions of Office or Windows. If you want solid support, something that works great out of box and has great integration between different Office products and the OS (as well as other MS products such as Skype), Office365 is definitely the way to go. Thunderbird and Intellect aren't bad options but I personally think I'd rather have something that's built using the Windows source-code (which only MS has control of) for integration vice playing around with some APIs. (MS does use APIs whenever they can too but not as much as other vendors).