Author Topic: Is Avast marking my OE mail as read?  (Read 4382 times)

jen147

Is Avast marking my OE mail as read?
« on: June 17, 2006, 05:41:29 AM »
I just installed ZoneAlarm, Avast, and OnlineSafetyShield in place of Norton Internet Security that had expired,

My question is:  My email is open seconds after it's received.  I've already checked the OE/Tools/Options feature and made sure that it's unchecked where it reads mark email open after _ seconds.

Is the Avast email scanner doing this and if it is can I turn this off,  It's really bugging me!

Thanks for any help.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Is Avast marking my OE mail as read?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 06:07:58 AM »
Your Norton license may have expired but did you uninstall the Norton package before you set up the new package of tools?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 03:07:05 PM »
Is the Avast email scanner doing this and if it is can I turn this off,  It's really bugging me!
Avast scanner does not 'open' the emails... just scan them.
This seems to be a problem in your OE settings.
Did you allow the lower preview panel in the OE (View or Layout options)?
What is really happening, your messages are opened, just displayed, mark as read...?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

jen147

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 07:06:37 PM »
Your Norton license may have expired but did you uninstall the Norton package before you set up the new package of tools?

Yes I completely uninstalled Norton.

jen147

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 07:14:37 PM »
Avast scanner does not 'open' the emails... just scan them.
This seems to be a problem in your OE settings.
Did you allow the lower preview panel in the OE (View or Layout options)?
What is really happening, your messages are opened, just displayed, mark as read...?  ::)

No I have not allowed the preview panel, and I've checked every other feature I can think of.  This never happened until the day I installed Avast.

The emails are being displayed as read.  I did a little experiment last night, I received email and waited about 7 seconds then the new email in my inbox turned to read (the little envelope icon went from a closed one to an open envelope and it was no longer in bold the way a new message is)

So I went up to Edit, clicked "mark as unread", then I waited and watched again, in a few seconds the message was marked read again.  And I did this several times, and I noticed that every single time the little Avast blue ball icon would spin when the messages were marked read.  No matter how many times I mark a message read it will change it.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 09:12:39 PM »
And this is without the e-mail highlighted? Avast should not be reading an e-mail unless it is highlighted and preview pane turned on.

Try this. Send your self an e-mail, download it, left click the "a" ball, select standard shield and see if it is scanning that particular message when it gets "opened".

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 09:17:44 PM »
Well you can also enable 'Show detailed info on performed actions' for standard shield and Internet Mail to see what is being scanned when the avast icon rotates.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jen147

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 05:00:32 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advise and suggestions.

I accidentally figured out that it was the OnlineSafetyShield a parental control filter.  I was trying the Trial but it was giving me problems so I disabled it while I figured out what else I could use and the email problem stopped.  I knew that OSS read emails for content reporting, but I didn't realize that was the prob.

Thanks anyway!

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 06:09:36 AM »
Glad you've got it sorted out :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 03:08:25 PM »
Glad that you have found the culprit and have it sorted, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security