Author Topic: Avast ads appear when display switches on  (Read 1481 times)

REDACTED

Avast ads appear when display switches on
« on: March 19, 2018, 03:53:51 AM »
My first post on this application board.  For a couple years now I've had the free version of Avast Mobile Security on my moto g smartphone.  Recently the application began displaying ads after I switch the display off in order to reduce battery drain and then switch it back on.  To do so with the moto g simply requires momentarily toggling the power button on the side of the smartphone.  When I am in camera mode I do so after taking any pictures with the smartphone camera and then toggle it back on say a bit later when ready to take another image.  However now what happens is an Avast ad displays, currently one for installing Call Recorder, that to remove, one must swipe right near the bottom, after which the camera mode will reappear.

I often capture images while skiing and to have to swipe the bottom of the display each time I toggle the display back on is an impossible situation to accept because taking pictures while skiing, especially in bright snow conditions or worse while it is snowing and noisily windy is difficult enough without having to add an extra step that is often hard to see on the LCD.  Many times I just point the camera and listen to the click sound to know a shot was taken.  This week I lost some shots because although I thought I swiped the bottom of the display to remove the Avast ad, apparently that Avast screen was still there when I took shots.   Thus expect to uninstall Avast and use some other freeware Internet security application unless there is a way around this deal breaker that does not include upgrading to the paid PRO version.   Find it hard to believe Avast developers were so short sighted to expect this new type of ad intervention was not in some circumstances going to make other application features non-functional.

REDACTED

Re: Avast ads appear when display switches on
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
For an unknown reason as of this morning, the above noted Avast ad behavior is no longer always occurring?  It had been displaying every time I switched the display off and during other moto g operations but this morning the Avast ads have just displayed a couple times over a couple hours of playing with the camera function and I don't even know how to cause the ads to display anymore?

The Avast program seems to be updating frequently as one would expect with a security application so either the previous behavior has now been changed by an update or my moto g had gotten into a bug mode that has worked its way free?  At this point I will be content to continue to use the free Avast application, thank you, while monitoring any return to the above behavior.    I might add that a reason I am not upgrading to the Pro version is that unlike many users, I tend to just use the smartphone as a mobile cellphone, a camera, and a data storage resource and not any social media ways or financial or retail ways where increased security is necessary.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:35:27 PM by d7v7d777 »

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast ads appear when display switches on
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »
Hi, it seems your app has been to updated to the latest version, where we played with ads a little. Glad to hear the changes work to your satisfaction, thanks for updating your post.