Author Topic: Unable to register Avast free edition  (Read 61707 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Unable to register Avast free edition
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 12:22:28 AM »
No one, EXCEPT Avast Customer Care (see attachment)
You can submit your feedback in "About Avast".
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2018, 12:29:03 AM »
It really has nothing to do with Avast treating anyone "that way". Microsoft hasn't supported your OS for a very long time. Most people also no longer use computers with the limitations imposed by Windows XP. Certain protection can't be implemented because of OS restrictions. In your case, the problem isn't even OS related but rather old software.

Who said ANYTHING about running Windows XP? ??? Do you actually read any of these posts, or just answer random ones to get "your 2 cents worth" into the mix?
The answer wasn't directed at you. Are you here just to complain or are you actually looking for an answer ???

If your answer wasn't directed at me then why did you MY post in it? (screen shot attached)
And yes I AM looking for an answer, just like everyone else here. Should we hold our collective breaths to maybe getting one someday?

REDACTED

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2018, 12:44:51 AM »
No one, EXCEPT Avast Customer Care (see attachment)
You can submit your feedback in "About Avast".

I DID submit feedback when I first encountered the problem with being unable to renew my registration 3 weeks ago.
I also opened the support ticket that's shown in the attachment on my previous post on the same day.
I was hoping that my Avast would keep working as promised after its expiration date (today), but unfortunately that didn't happen.
So I came back to this forum, hoping that maybe someone might have found a solution for this problem over the course of the past 3 weeks,
but obviously that didn't happen either.  :(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2018, 12:46:11 AM »
Well, as said, we did forward it - now we need to wait...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
we did, but this is some old legacy version that we of course don't update...

I don't think that this is confined to old legacy versions.  I had it close to my last renewal anniversary and that was on 24 January 2018 with 17.9.xxxx avast free version. That cropped up when I had 12 days remaining and I clicked the protection confirmation and it updated then, including the remaining registration period.

yes you got the free renewed but you didn't have to register by email, just clicked the button and that's it

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2018, 10:21:58 AM »
Nightwing which version do you have please?

REDACTED

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
You can register it by going to Programs and features > Change. There will be a gigantic Activate button. For some reason they removed Activation button from Avast options and moved it there after years. Bad design.

REDACTED

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2018, 08:27:56 PM »
You can register it by going to Programs and features > Change. There will be a gigantic Activate button. For some reason they removed Activation button from Avast options and moved it there after years. Bad design.

THIS WORKED!!!
I had to click on "change" in the Avast pop-up window first, and then the "Back" link before the big Activate button appeared, but my Avast is now showing that it's registered for a year again. Thanks a million for this tip!!!  :-*

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2018, 04:14:50 AM »

THIS WORKED!!!
I had to click on "change" in the Avast pop-up window first, and then the "Back" link before the big Activate button appeared, but my Avast is now showing that it's registered for a year again. Thanks a million for this tip!!!  :-*

eve.shime and NightwingWV308,

Which version of avast Free are you running? And which version of Windows are you running it on?

I tried following those instructions and nowhere do I see any "gigantic Activate button". (I'm running avast Free ver 2014.9.0.2021 on Windows 7)

And, by "Programs and features", I'm assuming you're referring to Windows' "Programs and features" applet/option within Windows' Control Panel. And "options"?  I don't have anything in my Avast Free program called "Options".  I do have "Settings". But no "Activation button" found there either. I can "insert an activation code" (if I had one). But without one, that process takes me nowhere.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2018, 09:45:58 AM »
ok got it, found the issue. We will fix it soon, that's a change on backend. Give us approx 2 weeks.

REDACTED

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2018, 11:54:25 AM »
I take it that it applies to the offline free version as well?. I have been having problems with downloading the daily up dates that I used to download via http://files.avast.com/ivps9x/vpsupd.exe. Maybe the link is no longer valid and perhaps there is someone who can help with the correct link? My last successfull download of  of the file vpsupd.exe was on the 2018/03/21 when I downloaded version 20180321-2, via this link.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
no, just online connected versions.

REDACTED

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2018, 03:18:48 PM »
ok got it, found the issue. We will fix it soon, that's a change on backend. Give us approx 2 weeks.

MartinZ

WHICH versions of avast Free will that "fix" affect?? Offline versions? Online versions? And what will that "fix" actually do from the perspective of us users (so that we will be able to tell when that fix has become effective)?

REDACTED

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2018, 06:18:14 PM »
As above ^^^^^^

Please, please include legacy version 7.0.1474 in the registration fix.

(I don't need people telling me to upgrade this version, my OS or hardware thanks)

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2018, 06:32:23 PM »
It will be for versions 9-13 which are online. on the expiration screen when user selects Free it will be automatically registered