Author Topic: Unable to register Avast free edition  (Read 61705 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Unable to register Avast free edition
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2018, 11:06:00 PM »
you can try to go to control panel and click on uninstall.but before the uninstall starts you might get an offer to reregister free....but I am not 100% sure
I thought that offer only appears if you're uninstalling a paid version ??? Is that the case here ???

I don't believe this is the case here (not uninstalling a paid option), in another topic indicates that when uninstalling avast free there is an option/offer to reregister avast free.
Probably a good idea. :) Would still be nicer if this whole renewal option finally gets fixed to everyone's satisfaction. After all, this isn't politics and,
we should be able to get all sides to agree. :)

Yes, that would be the ideal world, if there is no need to register, why all this bloody hassle.  I sales opportunity no doubt.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:07:58 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2018, 03:55:49 PM »
we just tested the version 2014 and it automatically autoregisters 10 days after expiration.

MartinZ

I do not want to wait in limbo for "10 days after expiration" for my version 2014 to re-register. Will I be able, the moment after expiration, to take some positive steps to immediately re-register? If so, what are the steps that I need to take? Or, do I have no other option but to wait 10 days?
you can try to go to control panel and click on uninstall.but before the uninstall starts you might get an offer to reregister free....but I am not 100% sure

In many ways this forum has attributes of the blind leading the blind.

It would be nice--and common courtesy at that--if Avast simply posted, in support of their claim that "older versions [of Avast Free] will keep working even after they've expired" a web page explaining exactly how that is supposed to be accomplished. Maybe they don't know. Maybe this is all a bluff.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2018, 12:29:41 AM »
After my avast 12.3.2280 had been expired for a couple of days (I'm pretty sure it wasn't 10 days), this afternoon upon connecting to the Net, an avast popup ad of some sort went up.  After I X-ed it out, I then noticed that now the avast icon in the system tray was animated once again.  I checked the avast GUI and it says I am registered and protected once again.

So my avast re-registered on its own.  The downside is that apparently my avast re-registered for only 90 days as per the image attached.  At that time the little game will be played again I guess.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

REDACTED

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2018, 07:32:58 PM »
Older versions of Avast Free 7, 8 and 9 (2014) auto register after 30 days. I've just got this confirmed from the Avast team.
I didn't interpret Avast's reply the same way. What I understood was that the product would keep working.

That makes absolutely no sense, Avast expects people to run around the internet with no protection for 30 day's waiting for a magical Free Registration to pop in, that's like running around with your pants down.  >:(

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2018, 09:52:13 PM »
Older versions of Avast Free 7, 8 and 9 (2014) auto register after 30 days. I've just got this confirmed from the Avast team.
I didn't interpret Avast's reply the same way. What I understood was that the product would keep working.

That makes absolutely no sense, Avast expects people to run around the internet with no protection for 30 day's waiting for a magical Free Registration to pop in, that's like running around with your pants down.  >:(
No one said you aren't protected.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline giulio_toffoletti

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2018, 11:14:48 PM »

How i wrote before, i am not protected at the moment. Now i am so confuse and i don't understand what i have to expect. Before i must wait 10 days, now i see 30 days. What is it? It's random? Who can me give some sure info? Now i'm totally hopeless. Everyone says something different... what i've to do ? Ty  ???

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2018, 11:24:31 PM »

How i wrote before, i am not protected at the moment. Now i am so confuse and i don't understand what i have to expect. Before i must wait 10 days, now i see 30 days. What is it? It's random? Who can me give some sure info? Now i'm totally hopeless. Everyone says something different... what i've to do ? Ty  ???
What operating system ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2018, 11:45:48 PM »
we just tested the version 2014 and it automatically autoregisters 10 days after expiration. regarding version 7 we still test it

Hi, ok, in my case i must wait. But meanwhile i am uncovered. I' ve made the test with the avast page http://web-shield-test.avast.com/ but it's go wrong. And the antivirus don't accept the new virus definition. I click on upgrade, avast download it but not do anything and wright that the antivirus is expired. Now i'm totally confused.

This is my original post. Tank you. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=217887.0
P.s. I'm a little bit hopeless ...  :-\

I wrote all here. One main post and this. Win xp sp3 on amd athlon xp 1800+ 1gb ram ( non sse2 ) avast free 2014.9.0.2018 expired on 1 April. I wait tha time that i need to wait. But every day i read something different... :(

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2018, 01:57:20 AM »
Hey, Bob, would it be safe to say that ALL avast processes in the Task Manager always have "avast" in the process name?  If so, MAYBE there might be a way to ascertain that avast IS still working for those who fear that it is not after registration has expired.

Like right now that my avast 12.3.2280 is back registered and fully working I see that in my Windows XP SP3's Task Manager processes, there is:

avastui.exe
AvastSvc.exe

I don't know if there are any other avast-related processes that do not have "avast" in them.

This may or may not be another angle from which to approach this elusive problem.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2018, 02:14:39 AM »
Hey, Bob, would it be safe to say that ALL avast processes in the Task Manager always have "avast" in the process name?  If so, MAYBE there might be a way to ascertain that avast IS still working for those who fear that it is not after registration has expired.

Like right now that my avast 12.3.2280 is back registered and fully working I see that in my Windows XP SP3's Task Manager processes, there is:

avastui.exe
AvastSvc.exe

I don't know if there are any other avast-related processes that do not have "avast" in them.

This may or may not be another angle from which to approach this elusive problem.

I would say No it isn't safe to make that assumption, but the problem for us is always going to be memory of using avast 12.3.2280.

The instup.exe (installation and update) used to feature, I don't know if that is in old versions. The AvEmUpdate.exe may also feature, but you/they are going to have to check for the presence of these files in the avast folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2018, 09:44:16 AM »
so version 7 and older also autoregister 10 days after expiration. other solution is to uninstall and install again. the fix for version 9-13 will go live later this week

REDACTED

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2018, 01:24:49 PM »
so version 7 and older also autoregister 10 days after expiration. other solution is to uninstall and install again.

Thanks for the clarification MartinZ  :)

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »
so version 7 and older also autoregister 10 days after expiration. other solution is to uninstall and install again. the fix for version 9-13 will go live later this week
How about version 8? ;)
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

REDACTED

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »
MAYBE there might be a way to ascertain that avast IS still working for those who fear that it is not after registration has expired.

There IS a way to test to see whether Avast is still working AFTER its registration has expired. Create an EICAR "test virus" file. The file is NOT a virus, but Avast--if working--will react as if it is a virus.

Create a simple text file and insert ONLY the following string:
X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
If you save it and NOT end it with a hard return (68 bytes), it will be detected as the EICAR Test String.68 "virus" (68 bytes).  If you save it AND end it with a hard return (70 bytes), it will be detected as the EICAR Test String.70 "virus".

Give it the .doc extension (because the default in Avast Free is to put .txt files on the File System Shield's exclusion list).

Play around with this BEFORE registration has expired (so that you know how your version of Avast is supposed to operate). But when you do (before registration has expired), turn OFF your File System Shield (and other applicable real-time protection) when you're creating and moving the test file (so that it doesn't get destroyed before you actually run the test).

Then, following expiration, run through the same testing procedures to see if Avast is giving you real-time shield protection. My bet is that it isn't. (I'll run the test for myself in 10 days after mine "expires" again. Unfortunately, upon my first expiration, I hadn't yet had the insight to run some "test virus" tests before I re-installed.)

When you post back here the results of your "following expiration" tests, PLEASE mention which version you were testing.

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2018, 06:06:53 PM »
MAYBE there might be a way to ascertain that avast IS still working for those who fear that it is not after registration has expired.

There IS a way to test to see whether Avast is still working AFTER its registration has expired. Create an EICAR "test virus" file. The file is NOT a virus, but Avast--if working--will react as if it is a virus.

Create a simple text file and insert ONLY the following string:
X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
If you save it and NOT end it with a hard return (68 bytes), it will be detected as the EICAR Test String.68 "virus" (68 bytes).  If you save it AND end it with a hard return (70 bytes), it will be detected as the EICAR Test String.70 "virus".

Give it the .doc extension (because the default in Avast Free is to put .txt files on the File System Shield's exclusion list).

Play around with this BEFORE registration has expired (so that you know how your version of Avast is supposed to operate). But when you do (before registration has expired), turn OFF your File System Shield (and other applicable real-time protection) when you're creating and moving the test file (so that it doesn't get destroyed before you actually run the test).

Then, following expiration, run through the same testing procedures to see if Avast is giving you real-time shield protection. My bet is that it isn't. (I'll run the test for myself in 10 days after mine "expires" again. Unfortunately, upon my first expiration, I hadn't yet had the insight to run some "test virus" tests before I re-installed.)

When you post back here the results of your "following expiration" tests, PLEASE mention which version you were testing.
we just tested the version 2014 and it automatically autoregisters 10 days after expiration. regarding version 7 we still test it

Hi, ok, in my case i must wait. But meanwhile i am uncovered. I' ve made the test with the avast page http://web-shield-test.avast.com/ but it's go wrong. And the antivirus don't accept the new virus definition. I click on upgrade, avast download it but not do anything and wright that the antivirus is expired. Now i'm totally confused.

This is my original post. Tank you. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=217887.0
P.s. I'm a little bit hopeless ...  :-\

I wrote all here. One main post and this. Win xp sp3 on amd athlon xp 1800+ 1gb ram ( non sse2 ) avast free 2014.9.0.2018 expired on 1 April. I wait tha time that i need to wait. But every day i read something different... :(

Hi, as i wrote before and in the topic mentioned, eicar test and avast test failed. Avast free 2014.9.0.2018 expired the 1 april. I.m really curious to see what appens tomorrow  :(