Author Topic: Home version and SMTP/SSL  (Read 5103 times)

Cidolfas

Home version and SMTP/SSL
« on: June 18, 2006, 06:30:17 PM »
I'm using the free Home version of Avast 4.7. After installing it, I noticed that I no longer could send SMTP messages (I use Sympatico, and the server uses both authentication and SSL). I'd like to just turn scanning of *outgoing* e-mail off, but if that's not possible, I'd like to turn scanning of all e-mail off. Unfortunately, it looks like the Home version doesn't allow me to do this without either a) turning *all* scanning off, or b) doing a Ctrl-Alt-Delete and killing the mail scanning process manually. Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks!

joeloucyn

Re: Home version and SMTP/SSL
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 06:52:39 PM »
I am also on Sympatico :). You can disable scanning of Internet Mail by going into Windows Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> avast! Antivirus, click on add/remove then Change > Next then untick Internet Mail (under Resident protection) and untick Outlook/Exchange   (they will change to X's) hit "Next" again and let it do "Installation progress" then hit "Finish". You can also remove any other unneeded protection the same way but be sure to keep "Standard Shield". 

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 06:59:02 PM »
Well, why not simply go to the configuration of the Internet Mail provider (leftclick on the avast! tray icon, click "Details..." if not already expanded, select the Internet Mail provider and choose "Customize") and uncheck the "Scan outgoing e-mail" option on the SMTP page?

joeloucyn

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 07:11:57 PM »
He said that he wanted to disable all e-mail scanning.
Sympatico (which uses SSL) already does a virus scan with Norton!
Although I also use Stunnel (on POP only) and avast to have double security (Why not?).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 07:13:38 PM by Joeloucyn »

Cidolfas

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 07:52:42 PM »
Well, outgoing e-mail isn't generally *too* much of a problem, nowhere near as bad as incoming e-mail. If I can keep scanning the incoming e-mail that'd be best. I didn't see the tray icon at all; I'm sure if I did it would have helped! I'll try and take another look. Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 07:55:50 PM »
Well, outgoing e-mail isn't generally *too* much of a problem
Well configurated, avast works with Stunnel and scan the SSL outbound mail without problem  ::)
The best things in life are free.

joeloucyn

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 08:14:32 PM »
Avast will not scan SSL mail which is what Sympatico uses so he actually is better to just change avast! to remove the Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange resident or you might have problems with smtp and pop mail (been there done that  ;D ). That is unless you use Stunnel which might be easier to avoid since you are helping a friend so best not to confuse the issue.
Best of luck!
-Joe-

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 08:40:08 PM »
Well, outgoing e-mail isn't generally *too* much of a problem, nowhere near as bad as incoming e-mail. If I can keep scanning the incoming e-mail that'd be best. I didn't see the tray icon at all; I'm sure if I did it would have helped! I'll try and take another look. Thanks!

The Internet mail provider may be your first indication that you have a trojan spambot on your system as it can identify that multiple emails have been sent in a period of time.

If the server SMTP port is set for SSL then then it should be using a different port (not port 25) so avast should simply ignore the SSL traffic (SMTP port 465), no need to modify or disable anything.

http://wp.netscape.com/eng/ssl3/draft302.txt
A.1 Reserved port assignments
   At the present time SSL is implemented using TCP/IP as the base
   networking technology.  The IANA reserved the following Internet
   Protocol [IP] port numbers for use in conjunction with SSL.

443  Reserved for use by Hypertext Transfer Protocol with
          SSL (https).
     465  Reserved (pending) for use by Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
          with SSL (ssmtp).

What port are you using and what port does Sympatico say you should use ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

joeloucyn

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 08:50:39 PM »
Hi DavidR,
As strange as it sounds Sympatico uses port 25 for SSL smtp which causes problems with avast detecting it as regular smtp instead of smtps!
Don't know why Sympatico does this as it should be a regular SSL port as you suggest but Sympatico has never been "normal". So it is correct to use port 25 for Sympatico smtps and port 995 for pops!
I am also on Sympatico and suffering with its strange habits.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 08:52:45 PM by Joeloucyn »

DaveD

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 09:53:30 PM »
Bell Sympatico uses Symantec Brightmail to scan and remove infected attachments on the server level. I have used Sympatico for 5 or 6 years and have never had a single infected attachment make it to my inbox.

I say no need to run Internet Mail provider. Any decent software firewall will warn of outgoing spam and whatnot, plus have the ability to block it.

Quoted from http://www.symantec.com/Products/enterprise?c=prodinfo&refId=835
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key Features

* Catches spam with a 95 percent effectiveness rate.
    * Prevents false positives with a 99.9999 percent accuracy rate (less than 1 false positive in every million messages).
    * Automatic, timely, and secure updates every 5 to 10 minutes.
    * Backed by global operations centers in the United States, Ireland, Australia, and Taiwan.

Key Benefits

* Built on award-winning technology that protects over 300 million users worldwide.
    * Brightmail AntiSpam solutions are used to filter over 15 percent of worldwide email and over 100 billion emails per month.
    * Nine of the top 12 U.S. Internet Service Providers rely on Brightmail AntiSpam solutions to protect their subscribers.
    * Backed by global operations centers in the United States, Ireland, Australia, and Taiwan.

joeloucyn

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 11:02:23 PM »
Hi DaveD,
As you pointed out, that is why (Bright Mail/Norton) you do not need to have avast scan Sympatico mail but some of us like the extra scanning with avast(using Stunnel) just for that extra protection. Perhaps over doing it but an extra scan with a different antivirus doesn't hurt
By the way, I have been with Synpatico for the last 8 years and I was forced to go on the "new" SSL mail servers last September. Are you still on the "old" non-SSL mail sever?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 11:34:19 PM by Joeloucyn »

DaveD

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 12:23:16 AM »
Hi DaveD,
As you pointed out, that is why (Bright Mail/Norton) you do not need to have avast scan Sympatico mail but some of us like the extra scanning with avast(using Stunnel) just for that extra protection. Perhaps over doing it but an extra scan with a different antivirus doesn't hurt

You're right, it certainly never hurts to be too thorough.

By the way, I have been with Synpatico for the last 8 years and I was forced to go on the "new" SSL mail servers last September. Are you still on the "old" non-SSL mail sever?

I switched over to Sympatico's new (Hotmail-SSL) servers about 2 years ago or so when they first merged with MSN. Personally, I prefer that they are SSL but I wish they weren't using the same servers as Hotmail because it carries the same issues. They were more reliable before the switch. I worked for Sympatico for a while, a few years back. The new Hotmail servers they use have the "unknown randomly lost e-mail" issues. E-mails get lost, they know it, but they don't know why still. But anyways, that is getting off topic.