Other > General Topics

Messaging Gateway for spoofing emails?

(1/1)

REDACTED:
Avast 18.2.2328 on Windows 10 via Earthlink email

Does Avast have a Messaging Gateway to stop outbound spoofing emails?

My primary email account has been compromised to send Outbound Spam. I have changed the password & secret question but still I get about 25 Non-deliverable notices per day. At the moment I have changed my default email client. Earthlink support says just be patient, but its been a couple of weeks, and I want to put an end to the spoofing. But I want to continue using my email address that I've had for over 25 years, and I want to go back to my preferred email client.

Avast Full Scan found nothing to report. So I'm looking for another way to catch the emails before they go out. Any ideas?

Pondus:

--- Quote ---   and I want to put an end to the spoofing.
--- End quote ---
If it is spoofing then it is not sendt from your computer or your account

Spoofing = Faked sendt from    http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/email-spoofing

https://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-spoof-your-email-address-and-how-to-prote-1579478914

REDACTED:
That's what I have concluded after a couple of weeks of trying to stop it from my end. Other than canceling the email account, is there any way to stop the spoofing?

PS__I've had the account for about 30 years, and it is my identifier on close to a hundred sites. So to cancel it would be a monunmental task.

mchain:
EarthLink is a webmail based client email program.  You use their server to retrieve and send emails through your browser.  When you do not use your browser to connect, you cannot retrieve any messages.

Webmail requires an internet connection to work; if your internet connection is down, then so is your email account as it requires a connection to a web server to work. 

You must login through your browser.

What this means is, your computer cannot send off spammy messages without your knowledge as you must always first connect to EarthLink to get or send your mail.

Programs such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, IncrediMail, OS X Mail, iOS Mail are all programs installed on your computer or device.  These programs access their email server at all times as long as there is a network available.  They do not require a browser to run and work.

You must login through your program.  You do not use a browser when your email program is installed.

To clarify, GMail is a webmail based email account.  You access it through your browser.   

Like EarthLink, you can read, send and/or organize messages.  The difference is, you can get your email off any internet connected device using webmail, but installed email programs work only on the device they are installed on.

Why is this distinction important?  If your device is infected it can send out spammy or spoofed messages if the email account is installed on your system, but cannot if you use a webmail account.

In short, it is up to EarthLink to fix your account. 

You can't fix it for them.

[EDIT:]  (Quote taken from the following site:  https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-is-the-difference-between-webmail-and-email)

--- Quote ---Webmail can be accessed from any computer, making it convenient when you don't have your computer on-hand. However, entering your authentication information into a public computer can be dangerous and may expose your account to hackers.
--- End quote ---

Gopher John:
With GMail, one can use a conventional email client to access their mail using POP3 and IMAP.  The email client can also send mail via SMTP.  Of course, one can use any current browser to send and read the same mail store.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version