Author Topic: Avast compatibility  (Read 2339 times)

REDACTED

Avast compatibility
« on: March 22, 2018, 05:29:31 PM »
Hi!

I’ve downloaded Avast and have a couple of questions. It seems that it affects Dropbox somehow. I use it very rarely, but still need it for work. The upload speed has significantly decreased. It is not ok when I need to share files with my colleagues. And my Mac may freeze out of a sudden.

I do not know the reason for that. May be that freezing issues are caused by a software conflict. I have also installed MacFly Pro, a system cleaner. Could they be incompatible?
I decided to reinstall Dropbox and did everything according to this instruction - https://macflypro.com/uninstall-guides/remove-dropbox.html

When I tried to download DropBox again Avast did not seem to endorse it.
Unfortunately, I have not tried this option before uninstalling Dropbox - https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Error-messages/something-keeps-showing-up-in-avast-and-I-think-my-dropbox-might/td-p/138291. Do I need to add the .dropbox.cache folder to the Avast whitelist?

Oh, and the freezing problem persists, so Dropbox did not cause it. Can I change something in Avast settings to solve it?

Sorry for a bunch of questions :P

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Avast compatibility
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:44:19 AM »
Hello,
there is an outstanding issue with Dropbox on 10.13 with ssd drive but that only causes slow initial sync times; it has been reported to Dropbox for fixing. Other than that, there should be no problems with Dropbox.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 03:38:05 PM »
@gregorystewens - would you mind to check that you are using the latest AV? It should be 13.5; you can find this info in About. There were some improvements in the performance of our shields from the time of the mentioned article.

It would be also helpful to check if the DropBox performance improves when you turn off some of shields - File System shield or Web shield. The option "Scan secured connections" in Preferences > Shields > Web Shield may influence it as well.
Quality is also a feature.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
Thank you! It helped :)

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 05:06:03 PM »
Thank you! It helped :)
what exactly - we'd like to know more. If it's an issue on our side we'd like to fix it. However we need more info to address the issue (if exists).
Quality is also a feature.