Author Topic: How to interpret some scan results  (Read 1974 times)

Offline SevenSeas

How to interpret some scan results
« on: March 23, 2018, 08:04:25 PM »
Greetings all!

Just a few minutes ago I installed Avast Security (free version) for my Mac.  I gave Ye Olde Device a full scan and got a report.  There are some results (from the files not able to be scanned neighborhood) I do not understand and I would appreciate any help anyone can offer me.

/dev/fd/57
Error 29 Illegal Seek

/dev/fd/76
Error 20 Not a directory

/home
/net
Error 42019 Skipped due to exclusions settings

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MediaKit.framework/Versions/A/Loaders/MKDrivers.bundle/Contents/Resources/bootroot.loader
Error 42110 The file is a decompression bomb

/Users/tim/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/WebKitCache/Version 11/Blobs/CEB654EFB6FFB963FCD0B1D5CD7EE0E14C99459C
Error 42120 ARJ archive is corrupted

A few results with the following error, though I cannot copy the path to them
Error 42052 archive is corrupted

First off, is there anything I should be concerned about?  I understand the decompression bomb is a relatively common result and doesn't necessarily mean anything.  Am I correct in thinking that as long as the file remains compressed, if it were indeed a virus file, it couldn't do anything?

I don't understand the illegal seek or not a directory error.  Sure that file is not a directory, but I don't get why that would matter to the scan engine.

How do I find the exclusions settings?  Are there other files that will be ignored because of that, and if those files are being skipped then why are they shown as files not able to be scanned by the general results report?

What is an AJR archive, and what could have corrupted it?  Should I be worried about this?

I have a few 42052 archive is corrupted results (I think they are all associated with installing Adobe Flash Player).  Again, anything to worry about?  More generally, what would case these archive files to become corrupted?  I don't imagine they just corrupt themselves, so is there something I should be looking out for?

I appreciate any help anyone can give me!  Avast worked smoothly and beautifully, and other than being rather clunky about trying to reveal the files that were unable to be scanned, I really like the program.

Tim
MacBook Pro
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Avast 13.11

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: How to interpret some scan results
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 02:15:08 AM »
Quite normal on Avast for Mac to see these kinds of results. Many are from lack of permission which is normal as the user does not run as admin in MacOS.

The archives would be scanned on-access if you tried to open them, and any malware would be detected at that point.

While on this subject though, I really wonder if there is a need to be so verbose in the scan log.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline SevenSeas

Re: How to interpret some scan results
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »
Thank you for the help!  I feel better knowing it's nothing to worry about.
MacBook Pro
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Avast 13.11