Author Topic: Latest Avast 17.x breaks Windows 10 insider builds.  (Read 2481 times)

Offline boris1m

Latest Avast 17.x breaks Windows 10 insider builds.
« on: March 03, 2017, 10:56:31 PM »
I have tried updating to the latest Avast 17 on the latest as well Windows insider build (15046) that has caused the computer to stop booting. It goes into automatic repair mode, fails, and refuses to find either any restore points or anything else.

Booting into Safe mode does not work either.

I have restored from Monday backup which had brought me back to the previous build (1503x or something) with previous version of Avast. Everything worked fine, but updating to Avast 17 on that did not work either.

Are there any known incompatibilities between latest Avast and Windows builds?

Thanks!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Latest Avast 17.x breaks Windows 10 insider builds.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 04:25:04 AM »
Please (re)search before posting.
Things like this have been explained already.

It is not avast that breaks Windows, but the other way around.
You can't expect software to work on a Windows version that is not (yet) released.
Next to that, Microsoft seem to have gotten the habit of breaking the functionality of av's in their insider builds.
There are tons of posts about all over the Internet.

Offline boris1m

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 06:43:19 AM »
Well, I did not see any reports for this particular builds in either insider forums or even here.

That Microsoft breaks pretty much anything they can in W10 is old news now. But 12.3.2280 works fine on either build, so it is something that changed in Avast itself, anyway, even if technically is Microsoft's fault.

Offline LagunaJim

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 06:41:25 PM »
When one software manufacturer is HUGE and the other MUCH SMALLER, it is always the job of the smaller to make itself compatible with the larger.

I realize Insider builds come flying out without notice, but this attitude of which company is to blame is ridiculous.  The big dog in the room sets the rules.  Every time.

So I am not advocating beating up Avast when a compatibility issue arises, but it's Avast's job to scramble to resolve the problem - with humility.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 07:33:43 PM »
I guess you didn't see the date this topic started 03 March 2017 over a year ago, not March 2018.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security