Author Topic: UPDATE - Automate AMS Subscription - Computers in 137 different locations  (Read 4559 times)

r3flux

OK I have 137 different sites with different subnets. I am in the process of evaluating avast and moving away from sophos and want to know the best way of configuring the client to update through their local Avast server.

I know I can remove the serveraddress and lastserver setting from the avast4.ini file when it is created, then remove the reg keys and restart the service for this to happen. What I am interested is having this done from the msi when it gets installed on the client. Is it possible? If so what is the best way to have this done? There is no option when configuring the installation package to exclude the server address.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 03:39:23 PM by r3flux »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Computers in 137 different locations
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 11:08:21 AM »
Hi,

and welcome to the avast forum.

To start, I'd like to learn a bit more about your network. So, you have 137 different sites - which are not connected with each other? Or are connected over the Internet (VPN)? Are connected using private lines?

Also, how big are the sites? Do they have their own network admins?

Can you please also tell us how did you use Sophos in your scenario? Did you use the Enterprise Console? Were you generally happy with Sophos remote management capabilities (I'm not talking about virus detection)?

Thank you :)
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

r3flux

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 12:56:01 PM »
OK we have one central office with 137 sites connecting back to us. Each site is connected via frame relay, pipe site varies from 64k to 512k.

No site except for our site has admins.

Sophos was a pig and everyone updated from the central office which is not how we want it for obvious reasons.

I know I can hack the services in the registry to remove the last server and the server address and modify the ini file I just want to know if there are any other options?

I intend to have an Avast server in each location distributing the updates.

Cheers

r3flux

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 04:49:53 AM »
OK I have solved this problem with a vbscript hack to make it work, now what I want to know, is it possible to automate or script the ams subscription?

Cheers