Author Topic: license key not accepted  (Read 2695 times)

wowsa111

license key not accepted
« on: June 22, 2006, 03:24:39 AM »
 ???

I have a dell pc and had to do a complete system restore.  This deletes everything, so before I did it, I dragged Avast onto a portable flash/usb drive thing. 
I pasted this back into C:\programfiles\avast4, and created a shortcut for ashAvast.  Although the splashscreen opens, it will not accept my registration key, or any new ones that I have gotten. 

Is this just because I didn't really install avast?
Can I get the setup file somewhere? (we have dial-up so I dont want to have to download Avast all over again)
HELP!!!

boromeo

Re: license key not accepted
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 06:17:28 AM »
Well i'm no expert but want it or not , you will have to download Avast again it's prolly cause of that, taht it doesn't work cause by not installing it Avast win't be recognized by your computer cause there won't be anything about Avast in the registry, so want it or not you will have to download it again or it won't newvr work

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 02:19:43 PM »
I have a dell pc and had to do a complete system restore.  This deletes everything, so before I did it, I dragged Avast onto a portable flash/usb drive thing. 
I pasted this back into C:\programfiles\avast4, and created a shortcut for ashAvast.  Although the splashscreen opens, it will not accept my registration key, or any new ones that I have gotten. 
This is an antipiracy feature. You need to install avast again. Drag & Drop the folder won't work.
If you don't want to lose all your settings, copy the skin folder and the files avast4.ini and avast4.mdb. These files should be enough to be pasted AFTER you really install avast again.
The best things in life are free.

wowsa111

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 04:48:30 PM »
Thanx, i was afriad that would be the answer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 11:51:21 PM »
Thanx, i was afriad that would be the answer.
Anyway, I hope you don't have to restore your system back that often  ;D 8)
The best things in life are free.