Author Topic: A program is attempting to shut down Avast system service.  (Read 4380 times)

REDACTED

A program is attempting to shut down Avast system service.
« on: March 29, 2018, 05:59:10 PM »
We are seeing popups across multiple clients that we manage. We were former AVG CloudCare users.

A program is attempting to shut down Avast system service, disabling the real-time shields. This action will leave your system completely unprotected.

Do you want to continue?

This seems to coincide with an update to Avast.

Does anyone know resolve this?

Thanks.

Joe

Offline Jack88

Re: A program is attempting to shut down Avast system service.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 06:02:51 PM »
I too have experienced this, I had put a ticket in about it but was awaiting a response. I feel better knowing that this seems to be a more across the board thing. Hopefully just a mistake on Avast's end.

Offline SeReB

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • Avast Business
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »
You could have seen the dialog during the latest program's micro-update (versions 18.1 and 18.2). It was an unwanted side-effect of the update trying to stop one of Avast services (to prevent reboot needed to replace files).

Even when replying Yes, it would have stopped the service so that it could have been replaced and started again, so choosing whatever option was fine.

We have postponed the update until the glitch is resolved. We are very sorry for inconvenience caused by the warning dialog.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:28:09 PM by SeReB »

Offline jaylapidus

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 12:59:36 AM »
I am having this problem and I believe it is from malware, not a glitch in the Avast program. Rkill found whatever that malware was. The malware reappeared a day later after I had surfed entertainment-celebrity pages. This time, Rkill did not work, nor did Malwarebytes.